In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

valveless pulse jet

GATEKEEPERGATEKEEPER Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
edited February 2005 in General Discussion
Contemplating on building one of these,, possibly a Lockwood design, anybody ever done one of these? Any hints , ideas or knowledgeable wisdom for success? thanks MIKE

Comments

• Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    mylockwood1.jpg

Excellent weekend progect. I used to use mine for shooting flaming tennis balls, until the Sheriff told me I was operating a Destructive Device. Now it just sits in a corner, collecting dust while I work on my cold fusion project.
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Pretty simple to build. Look up the V2 rocket from Nazi Germany.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's a really nice jet you have there, not planning on shooting anything out of it just burning up alot of L.P. I have access to a complete metal shop, may as well take up a hobbie so I can use that.Looking to build one about half scale of the example shown in your pic. I have plans for one about that size and scaled them down, will that work or should I build full scale? thanks MIKE
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Small pulse jets in the 5-10 pound thrust range are used by the radio controlled airplane crowds. Yes the are legal.
    Cost about $300.
    Wild to startup put about a table spoon of gasoline in the chamber, pump up a air cannister to about 15lbs, light it off with a match.
    Off is goes, AS WELL AS ALOT OF SINGED HAIR!
    Walte
    buuuuzzz,blop,buuuuzzzzz,blop,buuuuzzz
  • Options
    ironjohn929ironjohn929 Member Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At the risk of sounding ignorant, what the heck is a "Pulse Jet?"
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pulse jets can have valves or be valveless. The valveless type look like a finned pipe. You can look straight through it. The internal shape is the whole key. It permits pressure waves from a single combustion event to reverse the forward and rearward air flow for an instant creating a higher pressure "combustion chamber". The effect of the shock wave disappears and the hot gas expells out the exhaust. The the process repeats.

We had these in the 50's when I was a kid used in model airplanes. We started them with a bicycle tire pump. Talk about noise!

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_jet

What is not me holding a jet.
    It is a guy who built one.
    I lifted the pic off the web.
    At this time, I do not have the skill to make one as nice as his.
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    There are web pages that tell you how to make a jet engine from an old car turbo as well. There are some videos of one pushing a bicycle at a good speed in Germany.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have any of you seen the videos of some of the things they have put the jets on. I saw one of a guy in an out house, or a bar stool. Just crazy.

I would not mind making one someday when I have the tools to do it. They can put out so much force for such a little thing. I would rather use kerosene as it is easier to build and a lot safer then LP gas.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    jsergovic, thanks for the link , has a lot of home built projects,,(just what i'm looking for ) I'll have a few weeks of spare time comming up after minor surgery, I'm sure this will help fill the void. To me these look like part of a dwindling number of fields of good honest fun without having to buy a tax stamp or permit..( Better play while I can. ) and their cheap also. Thanks again MIKE