In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I want to go sightless on a CCW handgun ...

jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
quote:A buddy has a 1911 with no sights at all. He put a plug were the rear sight went.
I'm thinking of the same thing, with maybe a really narrow stripe along the top of the slide.
Where does one get the correct plug?
This is what I really want, but will wait on it:

rcp_detail02.jpg

Comments

• Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a piece in one of the gun mags a few months back about a custom shop treatment that eliminated the rear site, lowered the front and used a big dot, and grooved the slide. Looked really nice, but they never mentioned if it shot to point of aim or not.

Sure you can learn to shoot anything with practice, but I greatly prefer my fixed sight revolvers and pistols to shoot to point of aim, that way one does not have to remember which gun they are using and where to point it ... a useful thing in a defensive situation, especially for us "older" folk that are developing memory problems.[:D]

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO, this depends on the distances involved. For real "up close and personal," removing anything which might snag on clothing in drawing from concealment makes sense and I've known people who did this on both semi-autos and wheelguns. My compromise has been to make sure everything is "well-rounded" in my CCW choices and kept the sights.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    It just seems the sights on a Para CCW stick way up too high.
    I think I'd shoot as good or better at 7 yards without the sights,, after getting a "feel" for the gun.
    For a gun touted as a "CCW" piece right in the name, it is smooth except for the sights.

The front sight does not seem centered over the muzzle. Should it be dead center, and then the rear adjusted to make the sights work properly?
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,466 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sightless? A blind guy with a concealed weapon? Oh, wait now I get it! Never mind.

He Dog
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    "Jay", @ Para Ordnance, Sevierville Tennessee, is sending me a set of sights I can mill down.

I figure, "Why not give it a try".

They have a box of used (extra) sights from all the discounted upgrades to night sights people get.

We also discussed a new, shorter barrel and slide for the gun, but it does not make sense from the $$$ point of view. (I wanted the Para Companion Carry-Option, a 3.5" barrel, NOT on the DOJ list. Had to opt for the CCW, 4.25" barrel, build on the Companion frame.

The owner designed these guns in a manner in-which you should be able to go to the bin and select parts, and have everything fit together, but the exacting tolerances he was relating was a little over my head.

So I'll just have to wait for the "Carry-Option" model.