In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Current gas prices around the world

jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
edited April 2005 in General Discussion
Good morning. Found this on nytimes.com
Norway is the world's third largest exporter of crude, at $38 billion last year.
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/04/29/business/norway.gif

norway.gif

Comments

• Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    A lot of those countries have an excelent public transportation system also. Most places in the U.S. if they even have any public transportation it's rather pathetic. And a lot of those countries listed that the gallons used is so low it's because most people there don't own a vehicle.

I think a fair comparison to put this in perspective is to look at the average commute distance for the U.S. and other countries listed and whether or not public transportation is an option.

annoyaliberal.jpgnotmyfault.gif
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in Athens last September and saw signs at gas stations for about 1.29 eur. I thought - wow that about the same as back home. Later I noticed that it was per liter!

I didn't see too many SUV's.

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One reason in other countries it is so high, the govt wants to force you to use public transportation. Which is not useful if you are late for work.[:(]

Public transportation may be wide spread in these countries, but can often be unreailible.

User jsergovic: do you have the current chart for diesel fuel. Most public transport buses use diesel.

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Auto vs. mass transit: Yes, Norway has a developed transit system, although the rural areas are not so covered.

"Norway has lower levels of car ownership than other European countries, with 427 cars per 1,000 people in 2003 compared with more than 500 cars per 1,000 people in both France and Germany, according to the Economist Intelligence Unit. The United States has more than 700 cars per 1,000 people."

GTO, The article did not cover diesel.