In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is something odd about this auction ??

jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
Something is odd with this auction ... or maybe it is just me, and everything is normal, except the vendor does not have a camera.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?item=35212529

Guy "TUSCON" is using pictures from Tackle Unlimited ad
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=35075209

And "TUCSON" does not have any feedback since May, 2000.

Comments

• Options
    stevegsteveg Member Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Actually, Tuscon just emailed me back. He does not have a camera, and evidently lifted the pic off the web.

I could not find that model on the Para site. disconued, maybe. Para has a new line, and their pre-2004 models are no more.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,024 ******
    edited November -1
    If he did it with the permission of Tackle Unlimited, no problem. Did he have permission? Not that we have any sort of copyright protection for our web photos, but it is bad manners to use one without permission.

FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    Also an almost 300$ difference. New guns don't have that much mark up so a flag goes up about how one guy is offering the same new pistol 300$ cheaper.

ALL AMERICAN INFIDEL
  • Options
    jdyerjdyer Member Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would suggest emailing him to see if he would conduct business through Escrow. If so then the pistol is a great deal.

Screw Allah & Have a Great Day!
    faces.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    jdyer, that signature photo is truly repulsive [xx(]

==================================

I have had two emails with the seller, he is not an FFL, it has been sitting in his safe for a couple of years, and it is not on Para's web site because they pulled all the pics of all pre-2004 firearms.

He has an A+ rating, and his emails were prompt, concise, and complete.

My impression is that he is honest, has a gun he never shot, and is now selling it for about what he paid, maybe $50 less.

Para does not include width specifications of their pistols, but it appears to be a nicely-made, compact, .40S&W double stack with a 1911-style design.

If I didn't sell my Firestorm Mini [nickel, .40S&W], I would not be having this compact 10+1 envy!
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    jsergovic
    If everything feels comfortable in this deal that would be a great price. I think Para now makes the Warthog which took the place of the one your looking at and retails for over 600$.

ALL AMERICAN INFIDEL
  • Options
    forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think it's any worse than people using "stock" photos from a a manufacturer's website, but I personally would never buy anything from anyone that didn't provide pictures of the actual item being auctioned.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's not fair about expecting a pic for each item. I carry over 400 different firearms for sale on auction and I'll be danged if I'm going to unbox and photo each and every one of them. I use manuf pics all the time, and say so in my auctions.

Screw Allah & Have a Great Day!
    faces.jpg
  • Options
    forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are the items you don't use actual photos of brand new in box? If that's the case, I could see using a stock photo. But definitely not for used stuff.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I take pics of used stuff, but I use manuf pics of new stuff.
  • Options
    tajjntajjn Member Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guy has not sold or purchased anything since 2000, someone might have hacked his ID. Just my 2 cents worth.

Not now, I'm busy reloading!!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll say it again: I've exchanged several emails with Tucson.
    He reads as being above board, 100%. No uneasy feelings at all.

I believe he did not have a product picture, and the factory pic is no longer on Para's web site. There are a few lame pics available on PogosticksAmerica, but that's about it.

I sure have a lame digital camera, and would not want to shell out $250 to take pics of a $600 gun.

In regards to choosing the Warthog over a P10-40, I'd take the .40.
    Don't care for the sweeping beavertail on the Warthog.

They make an intriguing model, the Hawg 9, WHX129R, 12+1 9mm, off the .45ACP Warthog model.

Personally, I wouldn't want such a small pistol for .45ACP. I'd guess the P10-40 is at least 32 ounces; it should shoot nicely, but might handle a little better if it was a few ounce heavier. Ahh, with a full mag, it'll behave one way, and a little differently as the mag empties.

=============== EDIT ===============
    Looking at the pics, I'm thinking that is an alloy frame. That might put it at 24 ounces. Why worry? No reason. A 7-round Para CCW745 is 34 oz, and is all stainless. The 10-round Warthog is lighter by ten ounces, even though it holds an extra three rounds [and the barrel may be 3/4" shorter].

Tucson advertises it as Factory New, but the original owner appears to be Tucson. A well written receipt, however, should satisfy Para Tennessee, should the gun require service. [Para's are repaired/adjusted in Tennessee, not shipped back to Canada!].
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim: You've got mail!

2002-05-21-shark.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jorge, I'm still crafting a several page response; had to jump in here for a reference pic of Drob's $100 AK
  • Options
    texastradingposttexastradingpost Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Not that we have any sort of copyright protection for our web photos"
    Actually you have 100% copyright protection for your web photos and you don't have to specify them as copyrighted to be so. Just hard to get any law enforcement entities to enforce the copyright laws with auction pics and it is costly to go the civil route over a minor violation. The gunbroker auction site will take action if you can show that a picture used by another seller was taken from you. Also most ISPs will suspend accounts if you can show them that one of their customers is using your copyrighted items or pictures. I have had a gunbroker user take my auction pictures from another auction site and use them here. I guess he did not know I sold here too and had no idea I would find out. I went through the process with gunbroker to get the pictures removed after the seller ignored my polite emails to remove them. In my case it was a less than honest seller and I was concerned that someone might confuse him and his not so honest auctions with me and my honest auctions since they had identical pictures.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A few facts:

Para made three versions, the last sold, probably, in 2003

P10-40 31 ounces
    Steel with Black finish.

P10-40 Alloy 24 ounces
    Alloy with Black finish [slide black only, I think. This looks like the one in the photo]

P10-40 Stainless 31 ounces
    Stainless with Stainless finish.

Tucson ad says "stainless".
    Photo and/or picture is for illustrative purposes only., per ad.

The list was about $940 for the stainless model. Probably a hundred or so less for the steel.

I like the model, but with he had posted an actual photo. Ad wording suggests the stainless copy, 31 ounces. It would absorb the recoil nicely.

The alloy copy would also be nice. Lighter is good!

The steel model does not appeal to me, but it would be pretty hard to confuse black for stainless.