In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Job offer came today, just an offer right......

powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
...now.

I received a call from a flesh peddler today (contract employment office) There is a job in Kansas City that has come open. This is one I had sent my resume' to but did not think I would get because they had 200-300 resume's submitted. Mine floated to the top somehow. This does not mean I get the job but it is a possibility now. They will go to discuss it and let me know tomorrow I hope.

It pays 32% more than my last employment. I would be one week in Kansas City and one week (or more) on the road, somewhere in the nation, doing walk downs at their plants to make 'as-built' P&IDs (Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams for those of you who don't know) of these existing facilities. They pay all expense when I am on the road, I pay for the week I'm in KC. I also have to pay my way out to KC the first time.

Job duration is from 3 mnths to a year. After that who knows? I may find something better before then.

I did push it some on the pay and pushed to be able to work from my home. I don't think they went for it. I then pushed to have more time before reporting so I could wait until my father is out of intensive care and comes home next week.

fa4d9fb5.jpg

When you wrestle a 'gator, there ain't no good end!!

"Molon Labe!" Spartan General-King Leonidas

Comments

• 925925 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Think of all of the potential employers you would meet on a road job like that.
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a good start powder, if you aren't too tied down where you are. It could lead to something better.

There are no bad guns, only bad people.
  • jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    Powder, thats good news, at least to me. If you dont mind traveling its nice to be on the road a bit. 925 is right as well, lot of potential employers and opportunities you could come in contact with. As to duration, 3mos or a year, hell, my job was supposed to last 3mos and here I am 4 years later still working so you never know.Even if it does only last a few months its still cash in the bank.
    Take the gig if offered and dont look back, anyhting that may pop up closer will still do that whether you are on the road or not.

Take care and hope to see you next hunting season

JuJu(getting better every day)
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Powder, I wish the best of luck to you in your new job. (I hope I'm not puting the cart in front of the horse, haha). I just know things will work out for you.

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November -1
    Well the offer still needs to be confirmed. But thanks. I'm still waiting on the phone interview.

It will play havoc with my shooting since I'll be on the road the majority of the time. I checked on the plant locations for this company. If I was in KC for half the weeks of the year and at a different plant every other week, I won't repeat visit any of them.

Don't know how those Missouri folks look upon shooters no-how.

fa4d9fb5.jpg

• SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This Missourian and Kansas Citian doesn't have a problem with shooters at all. Open carry is allowed here, and we're waiting on the Supreme Court to tell us if CCW is going to be legal (legislature passed it, but was challenged).

Kansas City isn't bad for a city. There are a few GBrs here.

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought you would sound more enthused since you have been out of work so long. The term flesh peddler is not flattering for someone who offers a paycheck when no one else has.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Benzapped
    When I was working contract, we refered to them as P i m p s, because they treat us like W h o r e s. Look up the definations, the terms are used correctly (they sold my * to the highest bidder, and I had to do what ever they wanted, or else).

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    The best time tom find a job is when you have one. Look at this as a paying job search time in your life and go with the flow. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
    edited November -1
    quote: Benzapped
    When I was working contract, we refered to them as P i m p s, because they treat us like W h o r e s. Look up the definations, the terms are used correctly (they sold my * to the highest bidder, and I had to do what ever they wanted, or else).

All the contract agencies I ever worked with got a percent of our pay. So selling our arses to the highest bidder made us more money and I think that is what we work for anyway. Every job I ever had I had to do "what ever they wanted." It is called employment. And "or else" means if you do not want the paycheck maybe someone else does.

If someone unemployed does not appreciate a paycheck then I do not relate to them.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by benzapped
    I thought you would sound more enthused since you have been out of work so long. The term flesh peddler is not flattering for someone who offers a paycheck when no one else has.

Dear sir you impune me. I am enthused, but reserved as I don't have a confirmed position yet.

The term 'Flesh Peddler' is used throughout the industry. Even the 'Flesh Peddlers' generally accept it, they're making money, nicht wahr?

fa4d9fb5.jpg

• ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like a damn good job to me, sounds interesting too.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
    edited November -1
    quote:sounds like a damn good job to me, sounds interesting too.

Sounds damn good to me too. There were times I would have jumped through hoops for a job that put beans on the table. I was damn thankful to everyone who helped me get it too.
  • wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    I wish you luck, Powder. You never know if good or bad, until you try it. [8D]

PS Missed, not meeting you, at the shoot last weekend.

Steve

ag00612_.gifsun_setting.gif
    Fight Crime, Shoot First
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wizard78
    I wish you luck, Powder. You never know if good or bad, until you try it. [8D]

PS Missed, not meeting you, at the shoot last weekend.

Steve

ag00612_.gifsun_setting.gif
    Fight Crime, Shoot First

Sorry I missed it but that was when my father ended up in the Hospital and I got sick again too.

fa4d9fb5.jpg

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Powdersmoke
    Good luck with the position.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    "just an offer, right" ...ahuh...
    But we know you were jumping up and down cause you landed on your toe and noticed the pain and investigated and discovered toe jam.

I used to go to these Vietnamese ladies once every two weeks...$20 for a manicure and pedicure ...after two months, my feet were looking much better...after six, the nails looked healthy...the Doc wanted $125 to rip out one nail, but the pedicures and foot rub and ladies is nicer[:D]