In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone have gold in their investment portfolio?

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Does anyone buy gold for investment purposes. The local radio has been running an advertisement about buying gold, that it is the best thing to buy as an investment,better than buying stocks, etc.
Most of my investing is centered around cashing in 30 years from now.Is gold a good idea for long term investments? If I was to buy a few ounces of boullion now, and sell it in 30 years, would the return be better, and more guaranteed, than a return on mutual funds/stocks, etc?

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
-Jimmy the cheese man

Comments

• offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Metals do rise, but very slowly. It's probably as good as a money market for the long haul, but you can wait a long time for gold or silver to go up significantly, and with inflation being flat it will be a while. Kreugerands (sp) are relatively good gold; you don't want anything from one of those "rare collectible coin" companies.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't even have a port folio!

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Got 2 1oz igiots & a few gold coins & around 50 1oz silver coins in the safety deposit box.
    The silver I have had since around 1990, the gold since around 95-97. Have not bought any in a long time, dont even know the spot prices.
    As far as investment I have no earthly idea.
    I do know that gold is more stable than stocks, at least if the gold market dives, it takes a couple of days to really put the hurt to you before cashing out.
    The dealer I was buying from charged $5-$10 above spot prices when selling, and charges $5-$10 below spot when buying. Reguardless of quanity when trading.
    Walte
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know of an on line source where I can see how the price of gold has been for the past say 30 years?

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,457 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know a site, but the price of gold is not particularly volitile and it is purchased mostly as a hedge against the collapse of the ecnonomy. Stocks or mutuals will likely do better for you over 30 years. Even an IRA will probably do better. Silver quarters in BU condition will probably out perform gold. The trick with any thing is to buy low and sell high. Most investors do it in reverse. When markets are high they have confidence and jump on the band wagon. When a reverse comes, they panic and sell. Great formula for losing money.

He Dog
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is'nt that what Martha Stewart did?

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • HUNT WALKERSHUNT WALKERS Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just talked with my broker yesterday. He is buying alot of gold for folks now, said it is more stable than anything else that is currently avalable. I was greedy and liquidated everything I had, figured I better get while the getting was good.
    edited November -1
    HeDog-So you see investing gold as basically a sort of insurance policy-if your stocks go south, the gold you have will remain stable-not really growing, but stable.
    So if the stocks you own go south, at least you have some gold lying around.

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless coming from a well established investment professional or firm "investing in gold" is one of the biggest scams out there.
    Talk to the average "Joe" who has invested in gold over the past 5 or 10 years and you get a far different story from all the hype ads on the radio and TV. Gold remains a good investment depending on who is doing the investing for you.

My gold investments are physically on hand.............we can trade gold or ammunition or both.[:)]

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
  • SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    I think right now is kind of a bad time to buy gold. Its at a pretty high spot due to the low interest rates and will likley come down as the interest rates rise. Silver at the present time I think is still a pretty decent buy.
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    One things for sure....gold can be a double investment.

1. It's value.
    2. Can be used as extra weight in your gun safe instad of bricks so theives cant carry it off! [:D]
  • joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still think guns are a good investment. For example, a M-1 rifle from
    the old DCM around 1980 was $137.34 (service grade). Look at the price
    now. Same as my old Colt Python and 1911a1 went well up in value and
    also had the fun of using them also.
  • texshootertexshooter Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try this link: http://www.kitco.com/
    My favorite site for the market.

Month NY Time Last Open Int. Prev. Vol. Vol. DTE
    April 02/12-11:23 412.80 147892 3612.0 6056 49
    June 02/12-11:20 414.00 30671 18.0 97 110

National Rifle Association Endowment Member-Texas State Rifle Association Life member
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,457 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo a typical portfolio will contain both stocks and bonds. Bonds tend to perform well when stocks are down and vice versa. As long as you do not sell the gains and losses are on paper, so with some of each you can make gains in up or down markets. gold tends to be rather flat. Fluctuates over a small range most of the time. That makes it a hedge against collapse, since there will always be someone that will accept gold for bread, but unless you are very savy, you invest a lot of money in gold to make relatively little on the turns. I personally have no money in gold or gold certificates (which I agree are mostly a scam). I have what little I put into metal in US mint sets and silver dollars and quarters in BU condition. I am mostly invested in stock funds and variable interest funds. When the market goes south, I buy in. When it rises past what I paid, I cash out what I put in retaining the profits in the fund and wait til it goes south again. With the last down turn and recovery, I realized $30K (on paper). Do that enough times in 30 years and you will be able to afford to fly out to visit me when you retire. Oh, wait, 30 years? I probably won't be here anymore. Set a goal with your investing so you have a hard target to work toward. You want xx dollas coming in when you retire and that will take xx invested to realize. My goal was to have $250 K in my 457 in addition to the Roth IRA and the pension and the SS. I wanted as much gross income retired as I had in the last years of my career. That may not be the best goal, certainly not the only goal, but it gave me something reasonably realistic to shoot for. Travel is not cheap!

He Dog
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    [ When the market goes south, I buy in.

I view that as buying when things in the market are "On sale". When the market was going south, I kept buying and buying. I would look at my portfolio every month, and it kept going down, so I would buy some more. Believe me, I was nervous, but kept thinking "In the long run, this will work out". Today, all that stuff I bought "On sale" is 25% higher then what I put in. Its funny, because Ialways have a minimum that I invest every month, but I am thinking I should stop pbuying at high prices, and wait for everything to go "on sale" again.

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    Salzo, Offeror, et al - Thanks for the stimulating and informative thread. We have a few gold and silver coins, give common Morgan & Peace dollars to nieces, nephews, etc. on special occasions. Neither of us are knowledgeable enough about the metals to venture an outright investment, but the staying power of the US gold coin was illustrated some time back in a Wall Street Journal ad by Brooks Brothers or some such clothier. It said something like, "When we opened our store in 1881 our finest gentleman's summer suit, along with two shirts and a tie sold for $20.00. It still does." But then the $20.00 was an illustrated US $20.00 gold piece, going at the time for $700.00 or $800.00. Anyway, it kinda shows you something about inflation and the enduring value of gold, I guess.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Salzo - Gold was down to $338 on the spot @ Jeweler's Row in "shot" form eight months ago...if you knew who to go to. About $418 right now.

When the dollar drops, gold goes up. The Buck is kinda low right now...

When things return to "normal" gold will drop.

The radio guys? They charge $20 over spot, or more. I'll tune you into the guys on Jeweler'sRow, and you can buy what you want, when you want. I usually wouldn't bother them for less than a 1/4 oz, buy you can buy less. I remember the first time I asked for 1/2 an oz. I was surprised by how little it was. I cast it into one ring.

An investment advisor might say to pick a couple of mutual gunds, say a small-cap, businesses worth below 10 mil., I think the definition might be, and a broader fund, maybe an "S&P500" fund, and invest equal amounts each month. You "bridge the valleys and the peaks" in this statagy whose name escapes me at the moment. It's been a while since I've pored over the Vanguard info for hours on end...

Generally, the market will return 8-10% per year, about the same as real-estate. You can even buy into a REIT fund - all real estate. My father always advocated investing in coporate debt, which usually paid 7-8% consistantly, but is a bit lower now.

weddingbands.jpg
    edited November -1
    Same with mutual funds (after reading all the posts a little more carefully)...
    you can pick ones which the very rich park some cash. It does not rise much, but will never go down.

Looked at PA tax-free municipal bonds lately?
  • spike449spike449 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.kitco.com is an excellent source for information on Gold.

Read the article "Looking For The Next Bubble" by Jim Puplava dated 2/10/04.

Gold is good! I was a buyer in 1978 when it was $225 per ounce. When it hit 650 to 800 an ounce, I sold. During the same period, Silver was $2.10 per....then it hit $50 per. That was time to sell also. Have been mostly out of the market for the last 25 years, but me thinks it looks good again.

Good judgement comes from experience.
    Experience comes from bad judgement. Gen. Omar Bradley
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, a few troy pounds in the safe plus some gold stock. Perfer to only deal in gold and lead.
  • pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a shovel, a gold pan and a Land Rover to put it all in and go prospecting. Oh yea, got the plains for a rocker too. Does this count??[:D][:D][:D]

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I'm way too heavily vested in personal poverty to worry about gold. Thanks for asking though.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    I have several bars of it buried in my back yard, hope I don't get senile and forget where they are.[:D]

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    I have one ounce of the southafrican special stuff given to me by a friend that I helped out in a spot who actually insisted on paying me. I handled his divorce. Thought I would save it in case I ever need it for buying my freedom some day.

Guns are a better investment in my book. If you have guns and the economy goes to H@%% and the world of Mad Max manifests itself, I can get all the gold I need with guns. [:o)]

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One good thing about gold is that it is gold. It is accepted worldwide no matter what!

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gold as an investment is a bad idea. It is worth less per ounce today than 25 years ago. What it is good for is a monetary reserve that is impervious to U.S. or worldwide economic collapse (i.e., paper money). Of course guns, ammo and M17A1 gas mask filter sets can serve as the same "bartering" hedge, and are certainly more fun to keep in the meantime.
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo

Most of my investing is centered around cashing in 30 years from now.Is gold a good idea for long term investments? If I was to buy a few ounces of boullion now, and sell it in 30 years, would the return be better, and more guaranteed, than a return on mutual funds/stocks, etc?

I guarantee you that before 30 years are up you will see economic upheaval on a grand scale with fiat paper currencies (including the US dollar) swing wildly in valuation against each other and diminish substantially in purchasing power.

Gold will exceed $1500 per troy ounce--and remain above that level as people lose confidence in the current banking and monetary system. The Great Depression of the 1930's will be nothing in comparison to the economic calamity which awaits us now. (No, I'm not just some "negative" person with a "doom and gloom" perspective; my comments are based upon years of study and an understanding of economic principles few others grasp.)

The best way to "play" the coming economic turmoil is to first be invested in gold mining companies' stock. You are "leveraged" owning the stock and will see greater returns than just owning physical precious metals. (You should still have some physical metal incase things collapse suddenly and you need it to barter for food and other necessities.) Profits made in gold stocks can be used to purchase physical gold, but there will probably be other stock market opportunities which will occur. Many people became extremely wealthy by purchasing stock during the Great Depression--you had to have the funds though, which will also be true during the next Great Depression.

Some useful links:

click for gold mining companies

http://www.mineweb.com/

http://www.gold-eagle.com/quotes.html
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by competentone

Gold will exceed $1500 per troy ounce--and remain above that level as people lose confidence in the current banking and monetary system.
    This doesn't make sense. If people do in fact lose confidence in the current banking and monetary system, why would anyone sell an ounce of gold for $1500 in increasingly worthless paper, and what would they get with this paper that the gold could not have gotten them in the first place?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep
    quote:Originally posted by competentone

Gold will exceed $1500 per troy ounce--and remain above that level as people lose confidence in the current banking and monetary system.
    This doesn't make sense. If people do in fact lose confidence in the current banking and monetary system, why would anyone sell an ounce of gold for $1500 in increasingly worthless paper, and what would they get with this paper that the gold could not have gotten them in the first place?

It makes perfect sense--if you understand that people will not give up the concept of the "dollar." People will still think about money in "dollars." We will be seeing hyper-inflation, but it is unlikely to spiral into a situation where paper money actually becomes completely worthless--the government will slow the printing presses before that happens, or create currency "exhanges" (ie. revaluations of the dollar).

Most people just "won't get it" and won't transition out of a government currency--they'll still want dollars, but will realize that the dollars don't hold their value for long. Gold will be desireable because it will hold its value (measured in "purchasing power").
    edited November -1
    competentone: Perfect sense? You've just contradicted yourself again. How do you reconcile the first and last sentences of your reply? The question remains: Why would anyone sell an ounce of gold for fast-devaluing paper (with lessening purchasing power) if, as you say, "gold will hold its value"?
    edited November -1
    quote: would anyone sell an ounce of gold for fast-devaluing paper (with lessening purchasing power)

Hold the gold. Flip the old (currency).
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Im ashamed of you guys!! Nobody has mentioned investing in guns!!![:D]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep
    competentone: Perfect sense? You've just contradicted yourself again. How do you reconcile the first and last sentences of your reply? The question remains: Why would anyone sell an ounce of gold for fast-devaluing paper (with lessening purchasing power) if, as you say, "gold will hold its value"?

Money is used as both a store of value and a trading tool. A currency undergoing hyper-inflation loses its effectiveness as a store of value, but it can still be used as a trading tool.

No contradiction.

During hyper-inflation (and there are many examples from around the world and through history) people have demonstrated that they are still willing to continue to use fiat currencies as a trading tool. They are generally not willing hold the currency longer term, but would rather convert into tangibles--precious metals are the prefered tangible if legal for the population.
    edited November -1
    Buy guns.
    Then buy some more guns.
    Get a bigger safe.
    Negotiate with the manufacturer to buy a dozen or so of "Special Edition" guns after the model year is over (if you like the pieces and the price).

Then buy some more guns.

quote:I'm ashamed of you guys!! Nobody has mentioned investing in guns!!![:D]

O.K., Tim . I done did it. But someone (a few) beat me to it
    But sure. I agree. Buying guns, especially picking out values, can give a good return.