In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Waxing your guns?

FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I read somewhere you can use a coat of car wax to protect your gun when hunting in foul weather. I tried it on all the outer metal surfaces and have found that my guns don't need oiling or anything anymore (other than the bore). Seems like a great idea. Anyone else done this or heard of any negatives regarding it?

Comments

• rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    WHEW!!! I saw the title and was thinkin' of somethin' else. [:D][:o)]

aliens.jpg
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Works fine if you clean/degrease first. Protects bluing from pits, too. Just keep it out of the action.
    Paste wax in a can for furniture (Simoniz, Johnson's) work best.

If you know it all; you must have been listening.<br>WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    learn something new everyday on here. wow

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never heard of this before either! I thought wood oils and regular maintenance were the answer.[8D][8D][8D]

It must be right, or we wouldn't do it this way!
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use simonize on mine. Be aware that most automotive type waxes have abraisive polish in them and shouldn't be used. Not unless you want that gun to look like it came off a battlefield. Luckily I learned on a cheap 22 rifle. Do not use Turtle Wax on guns it has abrasive polish in it.

Woods

Hamlin.gif
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    I use Renaissance Wax for mine; no fingerprints left on gun either.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I done it in bad weather hunts for along time. As stated above make sure no abrasives it it. Really helps walnut stocks in wet weather keep from warping.Take the barreled action out and do the barrel channel, etc. , then due the metal too. Or try it on the next older gun you get that shows handling marks,etc. in the wood. Put it on with a power car buffer. Really helps hide the small marks.--- Something else it works good on is keeping bugs from sticking to car/truck bumpers and windshields ( yes windshields). Try it.......[8D]
  • RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    Ive used bee's wax on wooden grips before but never on metal. Will this kind of wax hurt the finish?edit: this is the kind you buy to treat boots with
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We've used carnuba based stuff on our rifles for a long time. Its a trick my Dad picked up when he lived in Alaska. Works great and he even uses it on his stainless guns. I use it on my sidearms when I go camping/hiking.

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For my car -- Zymol is the best stuff out there IMHO. Smells like a banana milkshake too. If I were to put it on my guns (never had to) I would use Zymol. I've heard of beeswax being used on wooden stocks.
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    I also use his ARMADILLO on my firearms.

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • sharkman69sharkman69 Member Posts: 858
    edited November -1
    About twelve years ago, I was helping out a friend of mine who owned a gun store. One day I brought some non-abrasive car wax in, and started polishing up the gun stocks. When he asked about it, I told him how the gunstocks had lacquer finishes on them, and so did a car. When he saw the shine on the stocks, and the way they resisted fingerprints, he had me wax all the lacquer finish gun stocks.

I was told by an old cowboy from Texas that he uses Johnson Floor Wax on his Colt single actions to give them a great shine, and to keep them clean. I haven't tried it, but it sounds reasonable.
  • JesseJesse Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very pleased using Flitz Rifle/Gun Wax; it can be used on metal and wood with excellent results. It's a blend of Carnauba and bee's wax.

si vis pacem, para bellum
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you use turtle wax does your gun shoot slower
    ?

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Waxing and waning...the moon, the guns.
    Using them more, shooting less, shooting more, shooting less...
    The natural rhythms we all keep...
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What about ear wax?

[:p]

Merc

Insignia?

Nos nullus habitum rancidum insignia!

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    quote:[Will this kind of wax hurt the finish..... this is the kind you buy to treat boots with

Some wax might get into porous metal, but it can always be wiped out by a cleaner. Wax is wax is wax. I've used all kinks of cleaners, lubercants, and sealers in unintended applications. We all do. It's called "using what you got".

Shoe and boot wax is a great cheat to spruce up any wood in a pinch. Just don't use it on motorcycle seats.[:o)]