In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

10mm/40SW

jhoutdoorsjhoutdoors Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Just a quick question I hope a few of you could clear this up for me. Is it safe to shoot 40sw in a 10mm revlover or semi? What are the advantages if any and what are the possible ramifications. thank you all for your help!

Comments

• Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Revolver yes (if you use half moon or full moon clips), semi NO! Won't headspace right, probably won't feed right. Might not even fire, it headspaces on the case mouth. That means it will probably be too far in the chamber for the firing pin to hit. Just don't do it.
  • Options
    ZzzzippgunZzzzippgun Member Posts: 28
    edited November -1
    My 1911 10MM feeds and fires both fine. Even feeds the .40s from the 10MM mags fine.
  • Options
    capecodcapecod Member Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't try it with my S&W 10mm - after 50 years of shooting I've learned to use only the cartridge(s) a gun is designed for. If I wanted to shoot a .40 caliber - I'd buy a .40 caliber pistol.
    John

My Prayer: Dear Lord, Please let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.........
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've heard of a couple of people that has done this and it works for them. To me, it's not worth the risk. The S&W 610 revolver IS made to shoot both.
    For most semi-autos you can get a proper barrel conversion for most guns that will allow you to shoot them safely.

I had read a write-up where a guy was shooting .40's in a S&W 10xx series gun and it would shoot them, but he was ripping the rims off the cases, the empties would sometimes bulge to the point that they had to be hammered out, ect.

Why shoot a .40 when you have a 10mm?

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Onr thing i don't get:

WITNESS S/A STEEL COMPACT PISTOL

Same size exactly for .40 and 10mm

40S&W 9+1
    10mm 10+1

http://www.eaacorp.com/firearms/pistols/witness/witnesscompt.shtml

Must be something about the mag.