In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

All talk 'bout a 45.....how bout the 44 mag

schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I read a ton of posts that meantion the "ultimate" round being the 45acp. Why do I not hear much about the 44mag? I have both and the 44mag, in my opinion, is considerably more intense . Is it because a 45 is easier to conceal than even the smallest 44mag?

No argument intended about what is "better". I am just curious as to why 45acp is always meantioned.

"meet me in Margaritaville"

Comments

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The second shot my friend, hard to get off a quick second shot, after the first .44 magnum shot. Ballistics don't lie, and they in doubt favor the .44 but the second shot, still has some very important numbers.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by Dave W.
    The second shot my friend, hard to get off a quick second shot, after the first .44 magnum shot. Ballistics don't lie, and they in doubt favor the .44 but the second shot, still has some very important numbers.

R/

Dave

I don't know what you mean. Are you talking about the recoil?

• bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    The recoil plays a part, but also at typical gunfight ranges a 44 mag will pass through a soft target and go where?

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own both a 357 and a 44 mag. Ballistically the 357 is far superior to the .45
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to state that at the moment I am pretty drunk, please disreguard anything I have stated. I will re evaluate tom, after I wake up, then I'll give you real ballistics. For now a quick one from current loads I shoot one of each, again I appologize for the booze, and posting. I will clear up any questions, or admit defeat as soon as I look at this again tom.

.45 ACP

PMC 230 Grain FMJ

muzzle velocity 895

energy ft/lb 411

.44 magnum

Speer 270 grain gold dot SP

muzzle velocity 1250

energy ft/lb 937

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For hunting there's no doubt the .44 mag is one of the best, but for defense it is probably too powerful. Not to mention most of the guns that shoot that cartridge are at the most 8 shot (in the Desert Eagle), 6 shot on revolver and are really too heavy for CCW use.

I personally like the 10mm auto, it's equal to the .357 mag in normal factory loads and it can be loaded up to .41 mag levels.

If memory serves, it was the director of the FBI in the early 90's that said he didn't care which cartridge they adopted as long as it started with a .4 (so that'd be the 10mm auto since it's .40 caliber, the .41 mag, .45 acp, .44 mag, .45 LC, and later the .40 S&W).

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.
    I would like to state that at the moment I am pretty drunk, please disreguard anything I have stated.

hahahahah! [:D][:D] You da man, Dave.

Oh boy, if I had a nickel...

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate for an outright ban, picking up all of them, "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in," I would have." -Sen. Dianne Feinstein

feinstein2.bmp
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    .45acp is pretty much for close range defense. The .44 mag. would be WAAAYYYY overkill at those ranges.
    For stopping power, you want a round that will dissapate all it's energy in the target. A .45 will USUALLY do that.
    A .44 mag. just keeps on keepin' on for a LOOOONG way.

Mudge the shooter

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
    edited November -1
    Mudge it is eerie how often I agree with you. Wouldn't happen to be a country boy, biker, gun nut, handy man type would you? Sure would explain a lot.[:)]

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
    edited November -1
    Oh come on now... Too much power? Might be two perps standing directly behind one another. Two for one with the .44
    edited November -1
    Sometimes I carry the 44mag, but I usually load it with 44 specials on those occasions. Just as good or better than a 45acp if you prefer a revolver.

• ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a nice small .44 mag for concealed carry.[:)][:D][8D][:p][}:)][;)][^]

standard.jpg

standard.jpg
    Limerick.gif
    It's my cat's world. I'm just here to open cans.

We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic.

ATF,Eagle Guns
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It comes down to lead on steel. I shoot both, custom built 1911's in 45ACP and Ruger Super Redhawk in 44Mag. See how fast you can double tap three steel plates. The 44 is a wonderful gun and a blast (no pun intended) to shoot. But the recovery time to getting back on target is a lot longer than 45. Now 44 Special is a lot easier to handle, but if youre going to shoot special then go for the capacity of a 45. In a quick draw one shot situation I would go 44, please don't tell my 1911's I said that. But in light of all the factors you consider on a carry gun: weight, concealability, capacity, stopping power, and safety (how many people will one shot pass through) the 45 ACP is a better choice than a 44 Mag. For home defense, consider the last three in the list: capacity, stopping power, and safety. Do you want 44 Mag slugs bouncing around your neigborhood?

James
    royalthaiarmy.gifrtaflag.jpg
    Do your troops train with live cobras? ROYAL THAI ARMY DOES!
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    This is precisely why I want to get a S&W model 329 Airlite. Light enough for CC and powerful enough for ANY situation. As far as capacity goes, I read somewhere that the percentage of first shot hits were higher with revolvers. I think it's due to our tendency to "use them if we have them". If you know you have 15 rnds in the clip you have a natural tendency to point and spray bullets. When you know you only have 5 or 6 you have a tendency to be more conservative and make them count by taking that extra fraction of a second to line up the shot.

Just my $.02

From85-01.jpgTosoftair-eagle.jpg
    And everything in between.
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    Different rounds for different purposes, I'd also take a 44 mag over a 45ACP to hunt deer, bear or pig with but when the shtf and I need a handgun for self defense I'd take the 45ACP because the recoil is more manageable, greater magazine capacity and reduced reload time.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ATF - How do you like the Astra 44mag? I have the same one in SS. DO you happen to know the approx value? Mine is probably around a 98%.

• ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own four .44 mags and the Astra shoots as good as any of them even with the short barrel.As far as value goes it's what someone will pay.I have no intrest in selling mine,but I'm looking for a stainless one.I also have a Astra 6" .45 long Colt.

[^][^][^][:p][:p][:p]

standard.jpg
    Limerick.gif
    It's my cat's world. I'm just here to open cans.

We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic.

ATF,Eagle Guns
  • InvictaInvicta Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the 44mag is great and if you shoot something with it that object probably wont give you anymore problems but if you shoot a person the 44mag might go through them and into a bystander. then you will have a whole new set of problems.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also the .45acp comes in 3RD in the FBI one shot to the torso stop rate study they conducted over a 10yr period.The .44 Mag came in 7th.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • homer4homer4 Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got one for ya's...I carry a Charter Arms Bull Dopg iin stainless with a three" tube with pachmyr grips and a pocket hammer. The 44spl iis loaded with 240gr jhp and when used against a person it won't over penetrate as the bigger brother in the magnum will do. It can hold it's own against the 45 I believe.

"...Abby someone""Abby who"..."Abby Normal"
    edited November -1
    Rugster your killin me. What was the FBI No 1 and 2 caliber?
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Oh come on now... Too much power? Might be two perps standing directly behind one another. Two for one with the .44

Yeah. but knowing my luck it'd be a perp standing in front of a bus full of nuns. Don't think the jury would be too understanding.[;)]

BillCat.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Ghost Town PosseGhost Town Posse Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone know that? The FBI #1 and #2

163500_item.jpgSomeday when I'm cool I'll have a .50

Me own a 9mm...I'd rather drink turpentine and piss on a brush fire!
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1.Federal .40 155gr Hydra-Shok 97%
    2.Federal .357 Mag 125gr JHP 96%
    3.Federal .45acp 230gr Hydra-Shok 96%
    4.Remington .45acp 185gr +P Golden Saber 95%
    5.Federal 9MM 115gr+P 93%

I just listed the top 5 if anyone wants all 10 I will post them.

Best!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    ATF - Yet another gun from your collection! And a handy little one, at that.
    But what's with the "disco" link on the computer screen toolbar behind the gun?[:D]