In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Computer question.

daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Probably simple but how to I take a picture out of a folder and make it a stand alone picture like the hundreds of others? I can scroll over all the others and open them or any thing else I want but this picture is in a folder all alone. Anyone? Please?

Comments

• daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Okay folks here goes.

If I have a desk top with no net connection can I plug a ethernet cord into my laptop to get the desk top on the net for updates?

Or will I just need to run the cord to my wifi router? If so how long can I go before it becomes a problem?

Thanks for any help, David.
    edited November -1
    Computer Question RE: Skype

Do you have to be always signed in to receieve calls from people; or can you be signed out and have them call?
    edited November -1
    Computer is starting to slow down. I was thinking that I probably need to install a cleaner. First, do you agree with my assessment of my computers problem? Secondly what product(s) would you recommend?
    edited November -1
    What would happen if I deleted all of the "cookies" in windows/temporary files? Are these needed?
    edited November -1
    Computer question.

Can you use a flash/jump drive as additional memory for your computer?

Is there a limit on the size of lash memory or the number of drives that you can put in a computer?
    edited November -1
    Computer question.

I recently bought some computer DDR3-1066 memory for my i7 980x computer build I'm doing and I noticed on the package that it says its designed for the LGA1156 platforms.

My question is does this really matter with computer memory? And will it work with my i7 980x which is a 1366 platform?
  • bobinwisbobinwis Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your are using Windows......Before you sign off, click on 'tools' on the toolbar. Select 'internet options'. Perform: 'delete cookies' and 'delete files' followed by 'clear history'. That wipes out most of the garbage accumulated during a session. Otherwise, it keeps piling up. 'Empty' the 'recycle bin' as well.` If you have the 'recycle bin' icon on your desktop, right click on it and 'empty recycle bin' should be one of the options. Another practice is to periodically click on 'start' 'programs' 'accessories' 'system tools' and 'disk defragmenter', kind of like cleaning out the garage after 4-5 years. Stuff gets piled all over your hard disk and pretty soon the system spends more time looking and accessing stuff than it should. This may take some time depending on the size of your hard drive.

Regards, Bob
    edited November -1
    Thanks! I'm being cookied to death. Defrag works great when things start running slow too.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have passwords and logons to various web sites saved, they will go too, and you will have to log on afresh at your various favorite sites, but it can be a small price to pay, unless of course you have forgotten your passwords from lack of typing them in...

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
    edited November -1
    What part would delete the passwords and logons? The cookies,files, or clear history?
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Daddo; I clear all Cookies,Internet Files,and History every 2 or 3 days usually.Never interfered with my passwords or log-on info.

1-Powder

2-Patch

3-Ball

4-Remove the Rod

5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
    edited November -1
    I have done that before and noticed no difference. Guess I'll try again. Thanks.
  • SamieJ1959SamieJ1959 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I leave in the cookies that I use most often. Helps my pages load faster. Internet options does not clear them all out. They are still in there. You have to go to find, then type in c:windows\temporary internet files\content.ie? (whatever level you use) and have to delete all that. Also go back to find, type in history. You have a daily history file (windows, not temp) in there that it keeps, you have to clear that out as well. Also, cookies keeps a 2nd cookie file. So you have to go to find and type in cookies (2 should come up). (Always choose the windows and not the temp). You have to delete those cookies as well. Also, there is a 2nd temporary internet files, so in find you have to type in temporary (there should be 2 come up) choose the windows one and not the temp. Sift through those and delete the ones that you don't want. Keep the ones that you use often. If 2 different files don't come up on each one, you have an old version of windows. I do this every 2 days. Don't forget to defrag after clearing all this out. (Also, I don't use the recycle bin to delete files. If you go to your start menu and click on programs, then click on Accessories, then click on System Tools, then click on Disk Cleanup. This will delete everything you don't need in your computer including the recycle bin. I also do this every day. It works, try it.
    [Forgot to add, if you don't reboot, it is still in there before you defrag]

You get out of life what you put into it. If you put nothing, you get nothing.