In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Mouse Call

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
edited October 2005 in General Discussion
Police are often called upon to do things unrelated to their actual job description. I did this for a friend, but it would have been the same if she had been a stranger and had called the station.

It was early in the morning. Animal control officers were not on duty yet. I stopped in at a convenience store for a cup of coffee. I stop here nearly every morning, and the manager and I have become friendly.

Today, she was beside herself, agitated, scared. Said she can't go in her kitchen for the mice and asked if I would help her.

She had mice in her house, so she set out some sticky paper traps in the kitchen. She caught four mice, but they were all still alive, and the poor girl just couldn't deal with them, and apparently, her sons couldn't either.

I knew the boys would still be home, getting ready for school, so I agreed to go by and take care of the mice. Sure enough, there were two sticky traps, with two mice each stuck on them, still alive. I used my baton to drag the traps out from beside the stove. I told the boys to bring me a plastic bag, and I manuevered the traps into the bag. I tied the bag shut, took it outside, dropped it on the ground and squashed it with my foot. I tossed the bag into the trash can.

The boys watched me intently, and I hope maybe they learned how to take care of the next batch of mice.

My friend bought the sticky traps, thinking they were a bloodless alternative to the old-fashioned Victor traps. She wasn't prepared to deal with a very much alive, squealing, trying-to-escape, mouse. I told her to get Victor traps, or a good cat.

FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net

Comments

• Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You You,Murderer. [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?  "And remember a wet dog doesn't fly at night"  "My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be."   ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Options
    RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    Good thing they weren't armed!
    MiceGun.jpg
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    The cat idea is the best.

Other alternative - rat terrier (or crossbredd) or a blue healer. For some reason, EVERY blue healer I have been around, seem to hate mice. Not sure why, but have also noticed a smile on their faces after a successful "hunt" as well.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What's a blue healer? Is that like Papa Smurf?

I've dealt with this "issue" recently, and I am convinced that by FAR the best way to do this is with the old fashioned spring loaded mouse traps baited with peanut butter. If done right, its instant painless death, plus a nice "snap" in the middle of the night to let you know its time to clean up.

Glue traps are inhumane, cause the mice just get stuck there and die of dehydration. Poison, besides being inhumane also causes the carcasses to end up in weird places. . .ick!
  • Options
    FrogbertFrogbert Member Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree on the spring-loaded traps. Most humane way to go. My favorite bait is wheat bread with a touch of water to make a small dough ball that will stick to the trigger well. If you run across a wise old mamma mouse that has learned how to steal baits off these traps, tie a short piece of sewing thread to the trigger, and make sure when baiting that the thread is in the doughball. You can use the same trap over many times. You should check them often and wash them after success with a little soapy water. I've had them work in as little as ten minutes after putting them out. The secret is in the placement. Put them where the mouse has to approach them in a narrow area, like between the garbage can and a wall, or between food containers in the pantry. Don't forget to wash your hands!

Frog.

RiBBButt...You can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd, but you can be happy if you've a mind to. -Roger Miller
  • Options
    mowartmowart Member Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Peanut butter is good bait too and easy to apply.
  • Options
    bang250bang250 Member Posts: 8,021
    edited November -1
    Dcon. kills'em dead!

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    POLICE BRUTALITY!!
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Dcon. kills'em dead!

If huntin' is a sport, then your lookin at an athlete- T-shirt

Gun bans have never accomplished anything, other than to create a safe working environment for criminals.

Yeah, but he molests them first.[xx(]

I prefer the newer type traps, and a chunk of Snickers. It really satisfies them.

Ben

00tinybuck.gif
  • Options
    oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    place a peice of plywood along the front of the kitchen cabinets (to protect finish from misses/over penetration)wait quietly with an air gun...the fun way to get rid of mice
    wife wasnt real happy with my methods, but....
  • Options
    evningsevnings Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How are you with snake calls nunn ?
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    The boys watched me intently, and I hope maybe they learned how to take care of the next batch of mice.

That's why there needs to be a man in all childrens lives.

How you doin'!
    wolf_evil_smile_sm_nwm.gif

The election is over, so the anti-Kerry stuff is removed.

If the Army and the Navy
    Ever look on Heaven's scenes;
    They will find the streets are guarded by
    UNITED STATES MARINES!
  • Options
    wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bang250
    Dcon. kills'em dead!

He must use his 30/30. Probably uses them for fish "bait" after he kills em. [:o)]

"There is only one way to get rid of nuclear weapons... use them"