In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Having a custom rifle made?

JusthuntingJusthunting Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited March 2004 in General Discussion
I am in the market for a tack driver 25-06 as well as something bigger. Is it worth having a custom rifle made? I do not shoot/hunt that often, but love it. Will hunt in South Africa at least every 3 years. My dream is to be able to go on a Cape buffalo hunt in the next 5 years. All advice is welcome.
Thanx
Justhunting

Comments

• Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Yes, the custom route is often the way to go with calibers such as the 25.06. When you are looking to get serious accuracy out of your 25.06 then build something custom, when you want to really drive tacks then build something custom, but chambered for 6mm Remington[8D]

BillCat.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Options
    greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    Disagree...if you want a real tack driver in any caliber get a sako. The tikka's give MOA out of the box. Save your money for something else.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • Options
    358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We spent three grand on my wife's custom job and is a tack driver in 6.5 x 55. I purchased a Sako for less than one third of that amount and it shot just a little better
    GO SAKO
    use the extra money for a hunting trip [:D]

Son if you didn't learn something today, you wasted the whole day. (Jasper N. Lee, my granddaddy)
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Build a custom off of a Remington action!

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Something to think about, On a Custom Rifle RESALE Value is Very,Very Low if you ever want to sell it.[V]
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chuck, thats the bad thing about customs. I was going to sell mine for less than the cost of parts ($700 woulda bought it), took it to a few gunshows and everybody drooled over it but they wanted it for next to nothing. I will run over it with the truck before I give them a shot at it for less than $700!

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    geez guys,..you have to look at some other sales areas,....I can sell my customs for $1200-$2000+ around here without a doubt.

The best way to go for a true custom with high resale value is to use a custom action such as Nesika, BAT, Stolle, Borden, etc. They won't shoot any better than a trued up 700rem action,..but they are perceived to be better upon resale. And if you are looking at shooting groups in the .25moa-.10moa range,..then a custom rifle with a match barrel is the only way to acheive that,..as well as handloading. A trued up 700rem action with .250" hardened recoil lug,..bedded in an HS Precision stock with a Match stainless barrel can be built for ~$1300-$1400 sans the glass. If you tire of the rifle or she starts to lose accuracy,..the stock and action alone will still bring $600-$700 and the barrel can be set-back and used on another gun,..or to simply freshen up the current rig. I have some fine shooting factory rifles in the stable,..but my customs are the heart and soul of my ambition. They are never overpriced when the satisfaction of the .25moa or less groups accompany you home in your wallet instead of the targets being discarded in the range refuse receptacle. Some things money just can't buy,....and that feeling is why i have refused so many offers to buy my rigs from onlookers or collectors. they aren't for sale for $1000 more than they cost when I had them built,...they just shoot too damn well. If you build a custom,..you will build another,...I garantee it[;)][8D]

Find a reputable gunsmith to do the work,..that is the MOST important thing,..the rest is just parts. He is the one who has to make them come together into the tack-driver.[8]

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with the guys that say no. Buy a Howa, CZ, etc. and save the difference for something else. The accuracy is good enough.

J. Patrick Tatum
  • Options
    toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    If you want a real tackk driver don't get the 25-06, anything 6mm is junk.[;)]Ask grounghogdevastation. I would go with a .270 on a Remington 700 action.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • Options
    wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    I love my Sako and Weatherby rifles, but never truly knew what accuracy was until I got an older Sako Forester in 243. My choice, Sako. [8D]

Steve

ag00612_.gifsun_setting.gif
    Fight Crime, Shoot First