In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Good Price on SAR-1?

ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Where can I get a Romanian SAR-1 AK-47, new, for a good price? I heard there is someone here on gunbroker that sells them pretty cheap. Anywhere else? Ive seen these on aim, http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Romanian_AK_WASR_10_7_62x39_Rifle.html

But what is the difference between a WASR-10 and a SAR-1?

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
banner-small.jpg
www.awbansunset.com

Comments

• tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Ruger270man: our member interstatepawnllc sells SAR-1 and knows a whole lot about the different versions. I know I get confused about them. I believe he posted that the WASR-10 was originally built so it could not take the high capacity mags but the mag slot has been enlarged to be able to accept the standard AK high capacity mags. This sounds kind of strange to me, but because of it I think I want to avoid a WASR-10. Can anyone tell me if I am right or wrong on this?

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    As long as you don't pay over 300 would be a good price, best to find one in your area so you don't get the extra charges s&h and ffl cost. As for the difference WASR-10 and a SAR-1 the sar will take hi-cap mags and it has a standard stock, the wasr takes low cap mags and has a thumbhole stock.
  • robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    Tr-Fox, you're correct. The WASR-10 was not originally designed to take high-capacity magazines. Part of the gun has been milled out so that it can accept large-capacity magazines. As you might guess, this can lead to feeding problems. Sadly enough, the SAR-1 stock is drying up and the prices are rising [V][:(].

signew.JPG

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    thanks Roboman. Man, I always thought it was federally illegal to alter a gun to take a high capacity mag. Why can't I do that to my Yugo SKS without risking a long vacation in the crossbar hotel?

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    I would stay away from the WASR-10. I have seen SAR-1s in SN for $288. See them at Gun Shows for $319 all the time. The true single stack AK sells for around $179.

The feeding problems on the WASR-10 come from the centered single groove chamber throat. It was designed to take bullets from just one angle. A true Hi Cap. designed gun has a double groove troated chamber that will accept bullets from two different angles, the way they come out of a hi cap. mag.

From85-01.jpgTosoftair-eagle.jpg
    And everything in between.gun.gif
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ruger270man
    Where can I get a Romanian SAR-1 AK-47, new, for a good price? I heard there is someone here on gunbroker that sells them pretty cheap. Anywhere else? Ive seen these on aim, http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Romanian_AK_WASR_10_7_62x39_Rifle.html

But what is the difference between a WASR-10 and a SAR-1?

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com

"BING" you've got mail!