In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

No guns at work reagrdless of new law!!

gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
Just came in first thing this morning to an email from our CEO stating that regardless of the new conceald and carry law passing in Ohio that we will remain a "gun free" campus. He then refered us to a section in our employee handbook that covers it. The next comment was "We will continue to enforce this policy and all should be aware that violation may result in termination". Boo hoo...guess I'd better take all my office weapons of mass destruction home now! Guess now I'll have to walk around the campus firmy grasping my letter opener with a look of paranoia on my face to get a "rise" out of everyone.[:D] Suddendly I feel discriminated against!![:D][}:)][:0][:D]

Comments

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That would mean no guns in your vehicle ? That stinks.. I would inform my employer in writing that if I get injured and cannot defend myself, HE is going to be held accountable and since I cannot have a weapon on the premise HE is responible for my well being. Just yesterday, my bank decided to remove the NO Guns Allowed sign on the door. Liabilities can ruin a business.
  • Options
    orca44magorca44mag Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are they going to put all the employees on 'campus' thru metal detectors, or will they just strip search everyone?
    I'm just curious, because we have the same policy where I work, but, dang it, I just always seem to have a friend strapped to me at all times. Call me an outlaw.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Liabilities cut both ways. A business owner could also be held accountable for an employee's action with a gun. Also, I imagine the owner has one in his desk drawer!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by orca44mag
    Are they going to put all the employees on 'campus' thru metal detectors, or will they just strip search everyone?
    I'm just curious, because we have the same policy where I work, but, dang it, I just always seem to have a friend strapped to me at all times. Call me an outlaw.

No metal detectors here. I think it's just a friendly reminder and a way for the company to cover it's hiney in the event that someone does go on a shooting spree. I'm assuming this beacuse the message was copied to our legal council.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mateomasfeo, I beg to differ.. If that was the case anything can be used as a weapon.. hammer, screwdriver ect. IF the employer does not allow guns HE is granting you protection while your there. Had better have security guards in place. On the flip side, If an employee comes in and shoots someone, the employer has no control of the employees action.. no more than if he jumped into a car and rammed the building injuring employee's
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    That would mean no guns in your vehicle ? That stinks.. I would inform my employer in writing that if I get injured and cannot defend myself, HE is going to be held accountable and since I cannot have a weapon on the premise HE is responible for my well being. Just yesterday, my bank decided to remove the NO Guns Allowed sign on the door. Liabilities can ruin a business.

select-fire,

That's a very very good point. Not sure I want to "rock the boat" though. Might attract unwanted attention to myself. I think I'd rather stay in "stealth mode".

Also, I'm amazed at how stirred up things are around here about this law passing!! I let the statistics do the talking of what a concealed and carry law can do for a city or state. I just ignore the people that get outspoken about it. No reason to argue with brain washed people!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would do exactly that. Keep a low profile and see what happens. Eventually someone will inform them of the liabilities or a letter with no return address could find its way to the company mailbox.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    I would do exactly that. Keep a low profile and see what happens. Eventually someone will inform them of the liabilities or a letter with no return address could find its way to the company mailbox.

Ahhhh, I see where you are coming from my friend![;)] Good idea.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:On the flip side, If an employee comes in and shoots someone, the employer has no control of the employees action.. no more than if he jumped into a car and rammed the building injuring employee's

I am not referring to a shooting spree, I am referring to defensive measures. No different than a car? Tell that to the jury...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You mean to tell me you think an employer is liable IF two employees get in a fight in the workplace. No way. An employer has no way of knowing what another person is going to do.... IF I were to have in my agreement for rentals.. no guns on premise... AND someone comes on premise and injures a tenant , then the tenant would have recourse of a lawsuit against me. Talk to a good attorney and get back with me. I have one on retainer.
  • Options
    RickstirRickstir Member Posts: 574
    edited November -1
    Welcome to my world. In a week or two, when the Mo Supreme Court throws out this stupid lawsuit I will be faced with the same situatioin. Libral Arts college with a clause in the handbook and catalog about no firearms on campus, not even the security guard. Even though there is a half-way house right next to the campus.

I have debated this with these liberals till the cows come home, to no avail. I did however leave instructions with my wife that if I am killed on campus and could have defended myself, she is to sue and them rename the college the University of Rickstir.

I asked them how many off campus nut cases have read our catalog? There is not a sign anywhere. Don't know if they will post one, but I will tell them not to. No sense in advertising to the world that you are stark naked vulnerable.

Like in the NFL, defense is the key.
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah tell him that he can pay your medical bill, and then shove a gun up his patooty and fire a couple rounds to get the lead outta his *!

bulletline.gif
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah tell him that he can pay your medical bill, and then shove a gun up his patooty and fire a couple rounds to get the lead outta his *!

bulletline.gif
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    BRAIN WASHED people? I was thinking more like BRAIN DEAD

flageagle.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • Options
    bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    Keep carrying, I would rather be unemployed than Dead.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think an anonymous letter to the PC Prez with copies to local media (presuming they are not running dogs for the drooling morons of liberalism) would have some effect. Letter would point out the employer's liability and give advance notice of suit in event of injury or worse. Only places I cannot carry here in NH are court rooms and Federal buildings. And I do so carry when I so choose.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rickstir
    Welcome to my world. In a week or two, when the Mo Supreme Court throws out this stupid lawsuit I will be faced with the same situatioin. Libral Arts college with a clause in the handbook and catalog about no firearms on campus, not even the security guard. Even though there is a half-way house right next to the campus.

I have debated this with these liberals till the cows come home, to no avail. I did however leave instructions with my wife that if I am killed on campus and could have defended myself, she is to sue and them rename the college the University of Rickstir.

I asked them how many off campus nut cases have read our catalog? There is not a sign anywhere. Don't know if they will post one, but I will tell them not to. No sense in advertising to the world that you are stark naked vulnerable.

Like in the NFL, defense is the key.

Rickstir,

Liberal arts college???? Half way house???? Kind of sounds like where I got my degrees from! Would'nt happen to be called ODU would it? In my day it was call ODC, but now it's ODU.