In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

To serve and protect? Serve and watch?

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited September 2003 in General Discussion
I may be jumping the gun a little but but it amazes me that those sworn to protect would listen to his pleas for help and only protect themsevles. I have mixed emotions, I am glad the officers are safe but as well maybe an innocent man is dead. Could the bomb have been cut off or was the cops too chicken to see?
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,96109,00.html

Politicians are like diapers, every so often you need to change them, for obvious reasons.

Comments

• Options
    Stormtrooper 13Stormtrooper 13 Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kinda weird to have something like this happen on my back doorstep . This is the kinda thing that you see happen in CA , or the movies .

Just got back from taking 2 nieces & 2 nephews to an amusement park in Erie yesterday ( downing a few liquid nerve detramatizers ) .

I don,t blame the police one bit . If they would have tried something without the proper poeple doing it . You might have a lot more poeple "not" looking forward to labor day as a holiday . Maybe if the guy would of been packing he could of chose how it ended . Instead somebody else chose for him . Not saying the outcome would be any diferent , but he might of had a say so in the deal .

qman_lr_105t.jpg

Only the strong shall survive !!!
  • Options
    0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    the bomb could have been booby trapped and when the officers went to remove it, they too could have been blown up.they just had to sit in wait .i feel sorry for the victim and his familey i hope they catch the guy who did this.

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • Options
    spectre7spectre7 Member Posts: 965 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So...They handcuffed the guy to a cruiser, then stood back and watched while some explosives strapped to him exploded, killing him. Just to make sure I've got this straight?

It's one thing to carry no responsibility for a citizen's safety, and to avoid putting yourself at unnecessary risk by attempting to disarm a dangerous device without proper training. However, I'm tempted to say that it is going too far when the victim (assuming there is a mad-bomber on the loose, and this was not the work of an attention-starved, suicidal pizza boy) is immobolized and made to stand helpless while the seconds tick away.

Typos and profanity, oh my! http://www.funky-town.org
  • Options
    Stormtrooper 13Stormtrooper 13 Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What would you have the cop do hold his hand until the situation resolved it's way out one way or the other ? Assuming (you know what assume means right) that there was a way to get the explosive off without detonating it , how would a run of the mill trooper know this ? If the explosive could easily have been removed the guy could have done it himself . Being no expert he didn't , or was told he couldn't .
    If he was suicidal he got what he wanted (his 15 minutes) .
    The handcuff deal probably was to make sure he didn't run into a bunch of people telling to " get this thing off me " , and blow up .
    Erie is not a very big city , and I doubt they can afford to have a expert munitions officer . The only alternative is to make a call to the closest city that does . That would probably have been Buffalo , or Cleveland . Nether one being within an hour .

qman_lr_105t.jpg

Only the strong shall survive !!!