In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best time to end an auction

dustinfoxdustinfox Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
edited June 2018 in General Discussion
Does anyone know of any serious research done on when is the best time to start (and therefore end) an auction on GunBroker? Ebay has an entire chapter concerning what day and time of day to end your auction. It would be interesting to see optimum times based on what you are selling and who your target bidder is.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Gun Broker auction time is set to Eastern Time and I've found that the majority of buyers are on Eastern or Central Time. I've also found that a lot of those buyers go to bed fairly early. I set my auctions to begin/end before 8 PM, which allows ample time if the auction runs long due to the 15 minute rule. This happened in my last auction, which eventually ended at around 9 PM.
  • Options
    BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Exactly what Mark said, along with ending on a weekend day. Maybe people are off and have the auction in their thoughts. I like to end mine on Sunday evenings, but have no proof that if works better.

KC
  • Options
    IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that Captfun use to say Monday?s had the most traffic. Everyone getting back to work sitting at their desk and working hard
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good points by everyone... Interestingly, these opinions pretty much coincide with what ebay has to say. I think many sellers don't even think of this when creating an auction. I know I didn't. I will give this much more thought next time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Idahobound
    I believe that Captfun use to say Monday?s had the most traffic. Everyone getting back to work sitting at their desk and working hard

I know this is meant to be a "tongue in cheek" comment but believe it or not ebay says exactly that. Monday, especially during lunch hour, is one of the highest traffic days.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dustinfox
    I think many sellers don't even think of this when creating an auction. I know I didn't.

I didn't either. Because I lived in CA (I'm in Florida now) my first listings ended at 10:00 PM Pacific Time, which seemed convenient for those living on the west coast. I begin and end my auctions on a Sunday, or occasionally Monday (no Monday auctions during football season), but I didn't seem to be getting the traffic I expected. I wasn't sure why until a gentleman from Virginia contacted me and said that he couldn't stay up and "live bid" until 1:00 AM, and suspected than many east coast bidders felt the same way. He suggested ending the auctions before 9:00PM eastern, which would still allow for a 6:00 PM ending on the west coast. I took his advice to heart and switched to 8:00 PM Eastern. It proved to be a smart move because the bulk of my sales are on the east coast.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With "smart phones" it makes no real difference. Figure if they're up they can bit from any where. Also gots to love them drunk bidders at Denny's after the bars closes [:D].
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,762 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    With "smart phones" it makes no real difference. Figure if they're up they can bit from any where. Also gots to love them drunk bidders at Denny's after the bars closes [:D].

HEY, I resemble that last remark,[:I][:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster

Ya... then they don't want to pay.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark's 5:48 post is right on. However, a mid week day is best in my humble estimation.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always try to end mine around 8pm on Sundays. Seems it gives buyers time to settle down from the weekend a bit and think about it. IMO, it is not good to end an auction on a holiday weekend, or a day such as the super bowl. However, for buying it can be worth the time looking..
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the popular sellers [and forum member] runs 10 day auctions starting on Thursday evening, mostly penny starts.

https://www.GunBroker.com/All/search?IncludeSellers=618902
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always try to get them to end after the item is SOLD! [:D]
  • Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When Capt. Fun was still here he told us that their analytics showed traffic on the site was highest BY FAR on Sunday evenings. We always end our penny auctions on Sunday Nights. Starting price auctions we run whenever since we set the opening bid and if someone bids good, if they don't oh well, we're out $3.