In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Questions About a Kel Tec KSG

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in General Discussion
My 17 year old son has informed me that he thinks a Kel Tec KSG is absolutely the neatest, coolest shotgun on the face of this earth. I don't know how he came to this conclusion. Personally I don't know enough to say anything, one way or another about this shotgun. He thinks the 12 round capacity and that it is a semi-auto makes it the ultimate home defense gun.

So who here on GB can tell me about this shotgun?? I would like to know the good, the bad and the ugly!!

Comments

• Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please....

The KSG is a PUMP not a Semi. So many people list them in Semi that it actually skews our data....
  • Options
    Brian98579Brian98579 Member Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a toy Which is fine but I would not depend on one for defense.
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to bed right after I posted this last night and just got back online so I thought I would see if anyone has any other thoughts. I went to the links some of you provided. The Kel Tec doesn't impress me much but I'm not a 17 year old and don't know all there is to know about pretty much everything!![:D][}:)][:D]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    novel at best, he must be a john wick fan
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    edited November -1
    I like the capacity but that is about all.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a look at the Utas 15 also. Personally I'm not a fan of the KSG or Utas and wouldn't spend my money on either unless they were half the price they are, but I'm not 17 and trying to look cool either (I know I'm cool [8D] )
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    KSG and Utas are both around a Grand. Both of them are light as a feather compared to my Mossberg Bullpup [:D]. You can almost double the capacity with shorts. Oh yeah they're also really small in stature. Like a Mare's Leg.

Should show your kid the one Terry Cruz uses on "The Expendables". The "drum" just makes them cooler. Like a Tommy Shotgun.
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    I have sold a dozen or so KSG's in the last couple of years. No complaints from any of the buyers. I shot one with 2 3/4" buckshot, recoil was ok, but with 3" magnum buckshot it was stiff!

You really have to work the pump on the KSG otherwise you will short stroke it and have problems.

They are light and compact, if I didn't already have a tricked out Mossberg 500 for the house I would buy one for myself.
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of all the compact shotguns out there I would chose that one...but personally I would rather have a 870 with a 18 inch barrel so that I could swap a hunting barrel onto it as well.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    KSG and Utas are both around a Grand. Both of them are light as a feather compared to my Mossberg Bullpup [:D]. You can almost double the capacity with shorts. Oh yeah they're also really small in stature. Like a Mare's Leg.

Should show your kid the one Terry Cruz uses on "The Expendables". The "drum" just makes them cooler. Like a Tommy Shotgun.

thats a full auto aa12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c
  • Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've sold a bunch of KSG's and UTAS's and have both in stock at most times.

Keltec is significantly smaller and lighter as well as more thought put into it. Slide release on UTAS is in a very dumb spot on the bottom of the buttstock about halfway back.

KSG's are about $200 dollars cheaper too.