In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Win Mod 94 30 WCF

Chris36mChris36m Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
A quick note , years ago i purchased a old octagon bbl 30WCF
its in good condition and shoots fine. anyone know what this peice
would be worth today? it has a original tang site from that era
and the serial numbers are under 500,000 my Winchester book puts
the manufacture date in the mid 1920's to 1930.
thanks for the help.

happy shooting

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Chris...

With a serial number under 500,000, it was made much earlier than the late 1920's (likely to be before 1910). Winchester ceased production of the "Rifle" variation of the Model 1894 in the mid 1920's.

Your Model 1894 Rifle should have a 26-inch barrel on it... but it could be shorter or longer (special order lengths were available from 20" - 36"). Is your Rifle a Takedown? Does it have any other special order features other than the Tang sight? What type of front sight is on it?

Saxon's value estimate is too low... the tang sight alone is likely worth half of what he quoted. Generally speaking, all the early Model 1894 Rifles in "Good" or better condition are collectors items, and your Rifle could easily be worth $1000+... depending on the exact graded condition. Of the nearly 8 MILLION Model 1894/94s produced over the past 110 years, less than 500,000 of them were "Rifles"... the "Carbine" is by far much more common, and that fact has made the true "Rifles" MUCH more collectable in recent years. Can you post pictures?

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • EndlssEndlss Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use this link to check on 94's. http://armscollectors.com/sn/windates.htm
    After that I'd check leverguns.com forums and poke around a little for a value. I just looked at one made in early 1920's the other day and it was priced at 1,100$.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Endlss
    I use this link to check on 94's. http://armscollectors.com/sn/windates.htm
    After that I'd check leverguns.com forums and poke around a little for a value. I just looked at one made in early 1920's the other day and it was priced at 1,100$.

Endlss... be careful when using the site you mention... it contains a LOT of errors[V] (as does George Madis' serial number book for Winchester firearms). I am a member of the Cody Firearms Museum, and as such, I have researched several hundred Winchester firearms that did NOT match the listed DOMs in Madis' book(s) (which is what was used to create the tables located at aemscollectors.com). If you want accurate information, you must get it from the Cody Museum.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!