In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Another stupid computer question

gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Does information you imput into a computer remain on the hard drive?
For example, if I use a computer in the library to buy something could my credit card number be retrieved, or if I used someone elses computer to access my bank account could that infoprmation be retrieved? Could someone who obtained access to my computer find such sensitive information?
If so is there a reasonable way to eliminate such data?

Comments

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The answer is a resounding - it depends... [:I]

It depends on the type of form used to input the data. It depends on the operating system of the computer.
    One of the worst things if a previous user (at the library) put on a program like a keylogger or data miner. These would enable them to see everything what was input on the computer since they installed it.
    The basic way to eliminate it is by going to tools/internet options/ and deleting cookies, delete files, and clear history. However, this is only minimally effective as anyone worth thier salt can retrieve data that's been deleted.
    On your own computer you can install programs like Shredder that over-writes the data on the hard drive so there is allegedly no chance of recovery.

Personally, I'd think the chances are as high or higher that the threat would happen on the internet (data interception) moreso than it would happen on your local computer.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • lmfischerlmfischer Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ah . I love this question! The bottom line is almost anything you input, install or download onto a computer may be retrieved, if someone wants it bad enough. Personally, I wouldn't use a public computer (for the reasons bambihunter outlined) or even the computer of a friend to make purchases or financial transactions. You may trust your friend but you don't know who will be looking at that system in the future. As for your home system, the average person typically won't be able to retrieve much in the way of sensitive financial information if you're using a recent operating system (W2K, XP) and you use only secure, reputable web sites but they may able to determine your web browsing habits within a few seconds. Scary, isn't it? As mentioned above, look into the shredder programs if you're interested in a more permanent deletion solution.

"No matter how good you are at something, there's always about a million people better than you." - Homer Simpson