In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Still another COMPUTER question

cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I had a problem last week with my computer and did a system restore.
That fixed the problem, but started another...I had been using Internet Explorer as my primary browser but also had Netscape Navigator for use with a proxy server that wasn't compatable with I.E
After the restore I downloaded Netscape Navigator 7.1 again after uninstalling it...now it won't open. Any Ideas I need Netscape to work.

Comments

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why wouldn't IE work through the proxy server?

I couldn't tell ya a thing about netscape - I've not spent more than an hour on that browser my entire life (just never had a reason to, not that there's anything wrong with it)...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ask Bambihunter.....[:D][:D][:D] He can fix it. [^][:D][^]

denny the grateful
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a college library data-base and the proxy server won't work with I.E. I tried it several times, when I asked why they said the program was written to be compatable with Netscape. I hate Netscape and only use it for that application, keeping I.E as my main browser.

I suspect some setting on my computer is the problem, everything else works fine.
    edited November -1
    sorry to let ya down after Crims great build-up, but I've honestly not used Netscape enough to know...

An idea though, did you save your restore point BEFORE you rolled it back? Maybe what you could do is roll it forward to that restore point then uninstall netscape, THEN roll it back to the setting that's working and reinstall netscape...

Depending on which OS you're using, I've had some real trouble with ME's system restore feature, but the one built into XP does work.
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's an XP, but you are past my level with the restore point stuff.

I'll try to search the web for a fix, that's where I found the answer to one error I was getting a while back.

Thanks for the input.
    edited November -1
    What I meant with the restore point rollback/forward. Where you restored it from you could have made a restore point of your own. IF you did this, then you can go back to where your computer was messing up and uninstall netscape. Then after you've done that, roll it back to your present configuration, reinstall netscape and you should be fine.

That's my only suggestion. Good luck on that.
  • lmfischerlmfischer Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd have to ask if it was Netscape 7.1 that you used before, back when it worked. Maybe 7.1 is too "new" and you need to install an older version of Netscape. However, I agree with bambihunter and can't imagine why IE won't work and NS will, aside from the possible odd page display quirk. If everything is working correctly as you say (i.e. normal web traffic with both IE and NS), then it's probably a missed setting somewhere and you probably don't have to worry about further system restores. Double-check your documentation, especially the port numbers and reenter them into the appropriate fields. Without actually seeing the proxy addresses, that's about all the assistance I can offer.

Good luck .

"No matter how good you are at something, there's always about a million people better than you." - Homer Simpson