In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Making your dog more aggressive?

trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Anyone have any tricks to make your dog more aggressive over all.Peticularly to strangers but all around I can deal with.Nothing that will hurt it or kill or mame.Just give it alittle more attitude.

Comments

• toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    it's all in the training.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You mean like obedience or attack training?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    A good GUARD DOG OBEDIENCE class, there are many a good school for dogs[:p]

flageagle.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope any suggestions to do so also come with recommendations to increase your liability insurance limits too.

Rafter-S
    edited November -1
    Can you still put a full grown dog through those courses or should it be a puppy?
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    Mom and Dads neighbor had his home insurance cancelled when their dog wouldn't let the agent out of his car.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why do you want to make your dog more aggressive? Looking for a lawsuit? Increased home owners insurance? As long as the dog barks when strangers approach, thats all you need. The dogs warning will allow you time to analyze the situation, retrieve a weapon if necessary and confront the intruder. Any well trained burglar with a firearm or pepper spray can take out the biggest, baddest, meanest dog around.

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
  • HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh boy, This is how dogs end up on death row. please don't live vicariously through your dog.
  • old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Training and if I could give you some advice please. Everyone wants a BAD DOG till you have one take from some one that knows. Aggressive is not good just my .02 obedience is the goal get a good book and spend the 2 to 3 hours daily early in the pups life. If you stick with it you could teach pup to shake the persons hand, bite them in the croch, then roll over and play dead. I have one that will scare the day lites out of you and it is a hassle. I was broke in to years back and that when I got into this and no I havent since. [;)]

psalms 16
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    Walking a dog at night believe it or not hightens your dogs senses which increases its confidence therfore making it more sure of itself. You dont want an aggressive for no reason dog. Dogs like that are miserable. Professional shutzund (sp) is a good option if the trainer knows what he is doing. Lots of trainers abuse and agitate dogs into aggresion and thats not good either. If your dogs not aggressive on its own, Its not meant to be.

Larry
    edited November -1
    Im looking to make him more aggressive because he is just to nice to everyone.I dont want a dog who is only worth keeping on a chain because he is too mean,Im just talking more aggressive to strangers when I am not home.I have the signs,the fence and he is on a long leed.Thats all I can do.He might bite someone now,should I get rid of him because he might bite somebody?Or should I go running out there with a gun and maybe have to shoot someone.Whats my liability for that?
  • old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    was that quick enough for ya

psalms 16
  • HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    get yourself another dog. gun runner is right- dogs that are aggressive based on arbritary circumstances are miserable.
    edited November -1
    Thats about my biggest problem.He is too nice to people but will not tolerate other dogs.I have had him alittle to long to get rid of and he is a good dog.Just not aggressive at all except for other dogs.Maybe I can get a puppy and slowly introduce it as it grows.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    You don't want an aggressive dog, you want a protective dog. Those are two completely different things. Aggressive dogs need training to be less aggressive. Protective dogs need training to be protective and not aggressive. There are many books on training dogs for protection. Don't make a mistake and get the books on training "fighting" dogs. They are aggressive and usually have to be destroyed.

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do not allow your dog to get friendly with strangers or people who come over. I put mine up after he does his job letting me know someone is at the door. If he sees any one come at me or the wife he will attack or if someone got in the home he would bite.
  • Chaser11Chaser11 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [?] [:(!] My niece just bought a home and had a terrible time finding an Insurace company that would give her home owners insurance ..because she has a lazy old Husky that wouldn't get up to scratch his own fleas yet alone bite some one...a totally harmless critter. Insurance compnies are trying to ruin everyones life because of the actions of a few...Get a little dog that barks like HE## and you'll know everytime the neighbors open or close thier car door...[;)]

American used to Roar like Lions for Liberty- Now they Bleat like Sheep for Security.
    Always Remember Security without Liberty is called PRISON! -
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How to make your dog more aggressive?
    Kick him in the nads! [:0][:D][:o)]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Dheff hit it right on the head.

If you want an aggressive dog, you'll also no doubt be wanting the lawsuits that arise when your dog attacks someone.

A "friendly" dog is not necessarily stupid or unaggressive. My dog (a German Shepherd) never once growled at anyone or acted agressively except for the time me and my neighbor were rough-housing... and she jumped all over him trying to protect me. I'm surprised she didn't bite him (thankfully she didn't).
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    dheffley has given you some of the best advice. A protective dog can be gotten through training. An aggressive dog will get you pulled into the court room. I have a half Sharpei and half Redbone hound. She looks exactly like a Sharpei, wrinkles and all, but about 6 to 8 inchs taller. She is very, very protective but not aggressive. A person must be doing something they should not for her to threaten them. Coming into my home without us here will get you attacked. Coming into our home with us here will get you loved on by her if we tell her it is OK. If you are dead set on an aggressive dog, find someone with one that they have to get rid of and take it. Sounds as though you already have a fine pet and trying to make it aggressive will just make the dog miserable. Just my 2 cents worth.

"we are but men... no more, no less..."
    edited November -1
    I think I was misunderstood by what I mean by aggressive.I dont mean something that is hostile and ready to bite anything and everything.I was more meaning protective but not just of me me,my family and his boundaries.If its not another dog he just doesnt seem to care.He barks at people sometimes and other times he doesnt.I had to run somebody off one time because they were about to stick their hand over the fence to pet him and he was just wagging his little tail with excitement.The dog I had before that would have taken their hand off if it crossed into his territory even though they are the same breed and that was something I didnt have to teach him.I was wondering if there was anything to make them more protective or if was just instinctive.I didnt mean blood thirsty.
  • Cyberdyne systemsCyberdyne systems Member Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to get the right breed of dog that is naturally aggressive
    like a Doberman, German Shepperd, Rott. If the dog isnt naturally aggressive he will never be aggressive, you can test pups by throwing
    a rag at them and see if they react to it by grabbing it or ignoring it, if they show no interest, they are not naturally aggressive.

an aggressive dog requires a responsible owner, because they can be
    dangerous, you must keep the dog in a fenced in yard and never let it
    run loose. They also tend to get into dog fights easily and they dont
    give up.
    edited November -1
    Thats what I dont get is he doesnt show much interest in things like that.He will fetch but not play tug or hang on a rope swing.He has gotten into 2 fights and I couldnt beleive it was the same dog.When my fathers dog was staying at my house whe they went out of town he(my fathers dog) dug under a fence I put up to seperate my dog from him while I was sleeping and I woke up to them fighting and he almost killed his dog and my dog weighs 79 pounds my dads is 120 and mean as hell.No aggression for people and too much for dogs.If I could get them evened out he would be flawless.
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could walk in my yard (in the daytime) & pet my Dane whether I'm home or not. BUT, there is an invisible line about 50' from my house & shop that I gaurantee you can't cross. She's never been trained & she is the 3rd Dane I've had that was the same way. Obviously my advice would be to get a Great Dane.
    [^][^]barto

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.-JFK
    edited November -1
    Cyberdyne, where do you come up with this info.? I do not have any of your mentioned breeds and my dog is protective.
  • Texas HunterTexas Hunter Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Cyberdine said was pretty correct.
    Temperment testing a puppy by throwing a ball at him and seeing if he will give chase is pretty fundamental in selecting a dog that shows protective insticts and prey drive.
    There are many other tests as well that go into this.
    Look even dogs that "should" be protective sometimes fail aggitation training.
    DO NOT try to train a dog for protection work if you are not very experienced in this regard.
    Yes you can start bite training a puppy and if you are looking for a dog that offers real protection you should have the dog completely obedience trained starting right away with basic puppy obedience and working your way up to a dog that obeys at all times and comes immediately when called.
    Spend the money for the right dog and training and you wont be sorry.
    Half * things and you just might be a lawsuit waiting to happen.
    I have seen this scenario to many times.
    Some dogs just aren't protective.

mike
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the tenor of these comments that there is no such thing as what you describe. If you tease or torment a dog you will accomplish nothing. It's all in the training. Someone who knows what they are doing can teach the dog behaviors regarding strangers without hurting the animal or making it anti-social overall. I'm sure people trying to "make" their own "guard dog" screw this up all the time, which is why we see so many abused animals passing for guard dogs. Pay a trainer -- it's worth it, and it's the only way if you don't know the drill yourself.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I think it is a big misconception that dogs which snap and bark at you when you enter a yard are aggressive. I have to deal with dogs nearly every day and have learned that in most cases this is a defensive action more than aggression. Many of the most aggressive dogs I have encountered have backed down and kept their distance or ran when pressed. My own dog will have a fit until you get within a foot or two at which time she rolls over on her back for a "tummy scratch". The truely aggressive dogs I have encountered are not that way from mistreatment but from neglect and lack of human contact.
    edited November -1
    Dakota, a many of mailman have been bitten by not reading the dogs intentions correctly. Tail wagging OK. tail pointed up and standing still means Look out. Dog does not have to be barking or foaming at the mouth. Being raised on the farm our border collie snapped a many of person who accidently came on the property. She would sneek up behind and nail you.
  • Cyberdyne systemsCyberdyne systems Member Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Cyberdyne, where do you come up with this info.? I do not have any of your mentioned breeds and my dog is protective.

certain breeds make better guard dogs, but Im sure other breeds can
    also make a good guard dog.

Dobermans were originally bred to be police dogs, military dogs, that
    is why they have such good traits for that kind of job.

The Egyptians used Greyhounds as guard dogs, and the Doberman has some Greyhound blood, also Rottweiler, and some other breeds mixed in
    to make the Doberman. Dobermans have only been around since the late 1890's.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would think if the dogs were fenced in and there were warning signs your Home Owners Insurance would come down?No burglary?Any way I think I know what you want.This is the way Ive trained all of mine and it works.When someone comes have your dog sit beside you,reassure him constantly by patting that its ok.Over a little time he will begin to see you are protecting him from someone.Next step he will bark at the visiter,hold him by the collar give him frequent pats and tell him its ok repeativly.He will begin seeing them as a threat,and before you know it he will be going crazy when someone comes.His main goal is to make you happy so give him praise when he barks at a noise or someone.He will become confident and think he's the baddest dog around.My wife has a toy poodle who might grab a stranger by the pant leg from behind and run.But its funny to watch her amongst the Dobermans barking and thinking she is bad.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't try. But you can 'test' a dog. Be careful though. Have one of your friends(the dog doesn't know), come in through the front door and come straight at you, contact should not be necessary as it should appear to the dog as a blatant invasion of his territory, and he should react out of fear. He will either fight or flight.
    edited November -1
    fisherman, That is funny , but one night I got home late from collecting rents. A friend of mine brought his 870 remington over for me to refinish. Came to the door with the gun and my dog went completely nuts and almost bit him. He freaked out cause the dog didn't seem to visious when him and his wife would come over. Wife told me the story and I bout' lost it. I thought she was talking about another dog. I wasn't home and the dog was in charge.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    fisherman, That is funny , but one night I got home late from collecting rents. A friend of mine brought his 870 remington over for me to refinish. Came to the door with the gun and my dog went completely nuts and almost bit him. He freaked out cause the dog didn't seem to visious when him and his wife would come over. Wife told me the story and I bout' lost it. I thought she was talking about another dog. I wasn't home and the dog was in charge.

Sounds like a good dog. I'd give 'em a pig ear and call it a day.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Have never conscientiosly tried to make a dog agressive.... always seemed counterproductive...)my experience is that most dogs are not so stupid as to recognize where there bread is buttered. Seen a ton of American Pit Bull Terriors that were nothing but the biggest babies that you have ever seen (Thank goodness!) Dogs seem to intrinsically absorb the hostility that their owners harbor. Maybe that's why our dog is known as "Dumba$$"

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    MY DOG IS VERY AGGRESSIVE TRUST ME YOU DONT WANT 1,YOU ALWAYS GOT TO KEEP IT AWAY FROM KIDS STRANGERS WHO COME UP AND PET IT ,ITS JUST NOT WORTH IT .IT WILL BE MORE OF A HASSELL AND STRESS THEN WHAT YOU WILL NEED.

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of my German Shepard have been to school. The school is nice but I have found that friendship is what makes them protective. they would always stay between me and anyone elase. The problem lies in the fact that the wife and kids are treated just like anyone else. Good dogs but overly protective. Of course they live with a pecking order so if I am not there the wife comes next. I did not make these dogs mean because they are not, just protective of me and thier property.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,063 ******
    edited November -1
    Three dogs live here.

If I thought ANY of the three would ever bite a human being, under any circumstances, I would take it to the back pasture and shoot it in the head.

That includes my beloved Sam.

No biting dogs for me.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    If you put up a sign that says something to the effect that you have a dog that may bite if you trespass or just a 'beware of dog'sign posted, then you will get your butt sued big time and probably face endangerment charges. The reasoning is that you must have known the dog was dangerous or you wouldn't have the sign. Also it is a most interesting fact that of all the breeds pitbulls, dobies, shepherds, rotties etc. that people and insurance companies get bent about, it is the labrador retriever that is responsible for most attacks and bites. While they are not an aggressive breed they are very protective and can get a little high strung if made into house dogs.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • gitthatdawg2gitthatdawg2 Member Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a lab pup that sleeps with my 5yr old. I have to wake the dog before I can wake the kid.