In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Back From Canada: Attended 50th Year Korean Vet An

gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
edited September 2003 in General Discussion
Wow, what a weekend!

I was invited to attend the dedication of the "Monument To Canadian Fallen" in Ottawa, the only tribute to the Canadian vets who fought in the Korean War 50 years ago.

I spent three days with these very fine fellows during this grand reunion, the largest assembly of vets since the war. This whole affair was sponsored by private donors and the vets themselves otherwise there would have been no monument, ceremonies, or official recognition on this 50th anniversary..............truly the forgotten of the forgotten.

Sunday was the official dedication of the "Monument To Canadian Fallen". What a truly impressive sight these 70+ yearold vets made on parade with an extra snap in their step as they marched past. Also present were several dozen ROK vets who came to pay tribute. The Canadian prime minister, Jean Chre'tien, addressed the vets and laid wreaths at the base of the monument.

About 1,500 vets and their wives attended. Sadly there was virtually no media coverage of the event.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Comments

• Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    What an honor to be invited. Though typical of the media to overlook the important events in search of something that sells their audience.

fb0d9d60.jpg

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Have to agree with ya guys, the Korean deal for vets is actually worse in my opinion than what the VN guys got. Or rather didn't get.
  • ChadfromCanadaChadfromCanada Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one of the three memorials that rightfully include canadians, i won't bore you with all the military achievments of canada, although we had not as large a force, we did fight and found victory

CZ 750 S M1. Drool.
    CZ_750_S_M1.jpg
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    516 Canadians were killed during the war. The US lost more than 30,000
    plus men.

I just finished going through Monday's Ottawa paper and it briefly mentions the ceremony on the bottom corner of an inside page but the rest of the artical decsribes how much traffic was tied up and complaints due to the event. It's sad how the media in Canada and here in the US will always ignore or play down such events honoring veterans who have made it possible by their blood and personal sacrifices for us to enjoy our freedoms.

The returning Canadian POW's after the war had no reception for their homecoming except to be processed out into obscurity. I had the honor of meeting with, interviewing, and celebrating with these fellows this weekend and they have been surely given the short end of the stick when it comes to thanks and recognition.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • No-StickNo-Stick Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Canada has, sadly, always downplayed its military achievements, more so in recent years than in the early part of the last century.

Sad, but true.

Officially, the Canadian government never recognized Canadians who went off to fight in Vietnam (by enlisting into US forces), and so they're not eligible for vet benefits (another laughable notion also, considering what a pittance those benefits are).

Even now, the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) films new movies and "documentaries" that effectively rewrite our past achievements into an almost slanderous position. The "documentary" on Billy Bishop (WWI ace pilot) is an example.

By contrast, I've always been impressed when travelling through the States in the attention brought to past glories, conflicts, and achievements, military or otherwise. Monuments and dedications abound. There is a sense of history that binds the country together. Canada, on the other hand, very rarely puts up monuments of that nature, and if it does, only in the largest cities and capitals.

The memorial for the Korean War vets was a great step forward, regardless of how ill-treated they are by our own government. The next step would be to honor those Canadians who fought and died in Vietnam.

"Nuke 'em 'til they glow - then shoot 'em in the dark."