In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Flavored olive oil

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Rather than spending the extra money for the flavored stuff (garlic or other herb flavored) can I just but plain extra virgin olive oil and put my own stuff in it and let it sit for awhile before useing?

Comments

• MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    Sounds good to me.
    I am sure not one to spend a weeks grocery budget for an ounce of olive oil, I don't care how good it tastes.
  • ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I think the reason for Popeye's big arms is that Olive Oyl was extra virgin.

Stolen from yesterday's Popeye thread.

AT
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can do that, but why would you want to? Olive oil adds it's own taste, however slight, to food. Ever fried eggs with it? You should try it. Very mild pleasant flavor.
    If you want to flavor something, try vineger. The malts and Balsamic need no flavoring, nor does rice vineger, but white vineger is just awful by itself.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I agree with p3.

If you want various flavors, do vinegar, or spices marinade in vinigar.

Leave the olive oil to stand on its' own.

Try rubbing your next BBQ steak with it before putting it on the grill. It's pretty good.

I also coat the grills - of my charcoal BBQ - with a light coating of it, before grilling.

Doug