In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any Stats on Handgun wound....

riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Survivors vs. 12 guage wound survivors at a 20-30 foot distance Are there any? I am talking chest or head shot on these I would assume a 12 guage 00 would be fatal in these areas of the anatomy
thanks

Comments

• quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I dont have any stats but I am going to say a load of 00 buck is more deadly then any conventional pistol round.

specialty pistol rounds made by DRT or some of the other makers might come close, because they cause so much trama.

I do know that 12 guage #4 buck loads have been proven to be the most deadly conventional shotgun round at close range..

a 12 guage loaded with flachettes would probably be the most deadly close quaters combat round I can think of.
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    quote:Handguns are not death-rays; despite what you see in the movies, the vast majority of people shot with handguns survive (over 80%)

Got that from this website of info on choosing ammunition for different types of weapons for self defense. Never seen that stat anywhere else, so I can't say for sure. The info is this article is a good read. Very informative.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

My favorite quote, when speaking of shotgun ammunition:

quote:10 Gauge

Yow. Load your 10 gauge with whatever the hell you want.
  • riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    Thats what My dealers told me and only 10% of 12 ga. wounds survive. Makes sense to me to use 12 ga. as main go to weapon in home or anywhere vehicle
    thanks
    edited November -1
    I would imagine that a majority of people shooting in those stats are not in the calmest of mindsets when loosing those rounds at the victims. Well placed shots with a handgun are going to put your opponent in the %20 category.

Read the stuff on shotgun loads and they reference a book by a guy named Ayoob on shotgun tactics. Knowing your environment is a must. If you have a 12ga with rifled slugs and you live in an apartment complex, you might find that you killed your intruder, and your neighbors refrigerator, and another neighbor's big screen, and another neighbors Trans Am. Or worse that you killed your neighbor.
    edited November -1
    But 00 doesnt need to be as well placed. I guess. Trauma blod loss etc.
    edited November -1
    quote:But 00 doesnt need to be as well placed. I guess.

Yep, but that is where knowing your environment is key. Don't need anyone else but the perp being hit with that 00 buck.
    edited November -1
    Yes its a lot of common sence involved and it seems that is a rarity these days. [:D][:D]
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    * the boob.

Doug