In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

which is the better gun

dave40glockdave40glock Member Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
is glock the better gun or is steyr m series the better gun or is it a big difference in the two or what do you prefer. i own a lot of different handguns but not a steyr. what good handguns do you recommend. thanks

Comments

• River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    The Glock is a successful but cheap design, meant for uniformly arming the future hordes of the Antichrist at little cost. Once you figure out which thingie is actually the trigger, it goes bang every time. It is made by Tupperware and Mattel, subcontracting for Glock. The Steyr, on the other hand, is made by ascetic Swiss watchmakers in a monastery in Belgium.

For the record, at Armageddon the Army of the Lord will be issued 1911s and Hi-Powers.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on who you ask. [:)]
  • jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Peter Kokalis (i think is how you spell it) did a write up in Shotgun News few years ago. He did not like the Steyr for many reasons, but i do not remember them. The ones i've handled were ok, not great, and a little finicky with ammo selection. Check out the XD by Springfield. I like the safety features better than a glock. And it feels better in my hand as well.

IMHO, the "Best" gun is the one you have when you need it!
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steyr has a habit of releasing guns in the US market and then not supporting them with parts.

Examples
    SSG
    AUG
    SPP (now carried by Br?gger & Thomet)

If you are going to buy 1 I would recommend you buy two so you can canabalize the other one for parts down the line.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by River Rat
    The Glock is a successful but cheap design, meant for uniformly arming the future hordes of the Antichrist at little cost. Once you figure out which thingie is actually the trigger, it goes bang every time. It is made by Tupperware and Mattel, subcontracting for Glock. The Steyr, on the other hand, is made by ascetic Swiss watchmakers in a monastery in Belgium.

For the record, at Armageddon the Army of the Lord will be issued 1911s and Hi-Powers.

So you are saying pick the gun that fires everytime or pick the one that never fires but keeps damn good time?

I like Glock, I can't say it's the best gun in the world. I like mine. Million + LE officials worldwide stake their lives on a glock daily. It can't be nearly the POS that some have tried to make it out to be.

My advice is find the gun that feels goods and shoot the caliber your needs require. To heck with the rest of the hype. Who makes the gun doesn't matter.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put one of each in your hand, and see which one has a "natural point of aim" for YOU.
    There IS a difference.
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    The Glock is certainly more reliable. I'm not a big fan of Glocks, but having owned (and subsequently sold) a Steyr M, I can tell you that the Steyr M is not something I would trust my life or safety with.

If you're looking for a good polymer-framed handgun, the Springfield XD series can't be beat. In my opinion, they have better grips than Glocks, less felt recoil, and are just as accurate. They're reliable, durable, and not expensive. If you can, rent one at a range or borrow a friend's if you can and check it out for yourself. You won't be disappointed.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mine
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Thermo: my comment was literature, not a field report. Frankly, I'm pretty much a revolver man. Couldn't pick the Steyr out of a lineup, but could recognize the Glock -- it's only a little less ugly than a Hi-Point. I will agree Glocks are reliable; all my cop friends love theirs.

My wife shoots a Kimber, and I worship John Browning, so my interest in autos is limited to his designs. We can't all be Renaissance men. Personally I prefer anything that eats 45 long colt, so am no authority on modern clippers.
  • dave40glockdave40glock Member Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE FOR YOUR OPINION AN INFORMATION
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by River Rat
    Thermo: my comment was literature, not a field report. Frankly, I'm pretty much a revolver man. Couldn't pick the Steyr out of a lineup, but could recognize the Glock -- it's only a little less ugly than a Hi-Point. I will agree Glocks are reliable; all my cop friends love theirs.

My wife shoots a Kimber, and I worship John Browning, so my interest in autos is limited to his designs. We can't all be Renaissance men. Personally I prefer anything that eats 45 long colt, so am no authority on modern clippers.

What he said.

Have you actually ever handled a Hi-Power ??

Same with the 1911.

These two weapons set the bar to which all other semi-autos struggle to aspire.

Doug