In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Over my coffee....

powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
...just a few thoughts.

My father continues to weaken, death is an unavoidable enemy for all of us and will soon take another victim. I have come to accept/tolerate the inevitable. The pain of heart catches me at inopportune moments but is lessening over the course of his illness. I fear my family and friends will think me cold and callous.

The 'doctor' from Hospice was by the other day and frankly told my mother to make funeral arrangements. It is the practical thing to do. He told her he has no more than a week to 10 days, we think it will be less. No matter how much time you have it will never be enough, Should I have the power to give you 1000 years of life, no strings attached, when you reached 999 1/2 you would be cursing me since you only had 6 months left. It's never enough.

I won't be going over there today, I've been there all week, but will take care of some personal business and things around the home that need doing today.

There has been one humorous dilemma that has come from this situation. My father and his mother lied about his age when he was 16 so he could enlist in the Army. Well my mother and I had a good natured argument as to whether he was 74 or 76 and whether he was born on Nov. 29 or Sept. 23. His official date of birth is Nov. 29, 1927 his real date of birth was Sept 23, 1929. We had to give a date to the Hospice people. We kinda confused them.[:D]

On a brighter note perhaps I'll go see the grandchildren. No time for shooting though. Hey Classic and BR sorry I haven't seen you at the fleamkt lately. Been meaning to get there but, you know, circumstances.

fa4d9fb5.jpg

When you wrestle a 'gator, there ain't no good end!!

"Molon Labe!" Spartan General-King Leonidas

Comments

• woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    My father passed away 21 years ago next month. I still think of him often for being a kind, gentle man who worked hard all of his life, took care of his family and served his country. It is probably inevitable that somebody will question your actions. Do take some time for yourself. Good luck.
  • 358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    powdersmoke
    I understand just what you are going tru. I am going to visit with my dad today the doctor told us a couple of weeks ago that he wouldn't give dad more than six months. between dad and granddad I had two of the best friends and the best insight to life. lost granddad a while back and still miss him how I will get over the loss of my dad I don't. But like you I have faced the fact that I can't change it. Today I will show him a plaque that I had made for his first new shotgun an old stevens bolt action in 20 ga the first gun shotgun he let me hunt with it is now a family legacy and will be pass down on my side of the family. I know that the gun isn't worth more than &75 or so but it couldn't be bought from me for millions.
    Hope that your father passes in a peacfull way, my prayer's are with you.
    Ron

Son if you didn't learn something today, you wasted the whole day. (Jasper N. Lee, my granddaddy)
  • mousemouse Member Posts: 3,624
    edited November -1
    Powdersmoke; Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. They
    think your cold or callous, that's their problem. We all grieve
    differently. Some cannot handle being in the reality of the
    situation of impending death continuously. It wears on you.
    Its draining in a way that is hard to describe. It hurts period.
    Take the time and do something fun today. I know your father
    wouldn't mind it.

We had a family friend who I helped care for for nearly a yr.
    at home. When my sister moved him to a nursing home, I could
    not stand to see him there. I'd worked in nursing homes for
    about 13 yrs. I loved him as a friend, but couldn't stand to
    go there. I can't describe why.
  • mousemouse Member Posts: 3,624
    edited November -1
    Powdersmoke; Don't worry about what anyone else thinks. They
    think your cold or callous, that's their problem. We all grieve
    differently. Some cannot handle being in the reality of the
    situation of impending death continuously. It wears on you.
    Its draining in a way that is hard to describe. It hurts period.
    Take the time and do something fun today. I know your father
    wouldn't mind it.

We had a family friend who I helped care for for nearly a yr.
    at home. When my sister moved him to a nursing home, I could
    not stand to see him there. I'd worked in nursing homes for
    about 13 yrs. I loved him as a friend, but couldn't stand to
    go there. I can't describe why.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    No one thinks you cold and callous...and anyone dealing with a terminal illness knows that over time, the pain does lessen but it comes back with a vengenence at the time of passing...
    Keep that in mind...it hurts then, more so than if unexpected...I dont have the reasons for it although when I took my training I was told it happens that way to enable us to do what we have too (caring for them and the family)..

The flea market will always be there, if not that one, then another one...You have more important things to do right now than meeting us for a coffee or walk about...We are right here for you, now and later, give us a call anytime just to talk...

Your and the family will remain in our prayers..

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • orca44magorca44mag Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    'smoke,
    A few months ago, Dad called around midnight and said Mom had a stroke and was going to the ICU. I left immediately for the 8+ hour drive to Nashville, and spent pretty much the rest of the week at the hospital.
    I came home after the Dr. said she'd never regain conciousness, and Dad said he and Mom had an "agreement" in case this situation ever befell one of them. I knew what was coming but didn't know when they would remove life support.
    I got the call from Dad the day prior to that event and packed my bags for another drive. The next morning, I could not bring myself to watch at her bedside while she passed because I was so overcome by emotion. I wanted to try to remember her the way she was, and seeing her in the condition she was in wasn't going to help me with that.
    So, if you can be at his side when it's your Dad's time, I consider you a far better man than me, because I didn't have the guts to do what you soon must.
    Respectfully,
    Kevin
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    powdersmoke - I lost my Dad almost 40 years ago - I was 21. The pain still comes from time to time. I was so grief-stricken that I couldn't bear to attend his funeral. I was ostracized by some family and friends as being "callous and cruel". Do whatever YOU need to do to handle YOUR pain - those that do not treat you well just don't understand. They are the callous ones.

I wish I could help you.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911