In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

More Good News!

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,058 ******
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I have been fussing with this fish tank since January. Fish all died.

THEN, I found out about water testing and tank cycling. Added a heater which sped up the cycling process. Added a big Fluval filter for more biological action. Added finer gravel to the substrate for more surface for the beneficial bacteria to grow.

Nitrites had been out of sight, but today, they are at ZERO. Now I can add fish!

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net

Comments

• robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    Weird. I bought two $3 goldfish back in early October and they're still alive today. Before I moved them to a tank in December they were in this 1-gallon plastic piece of junk with no filter. The water turned dark brown/yellow after a day. I changed the water every two weeks at that point. They've survived a 900 mile trip intact and now have a nice, 10-gallon glass tank, complete with charcoal filter and plenty of things to swim around in! They'll have been with me for 5 months on March 13. [^]

signew.JPG

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a baby and two cats in the house, pets such as fish or birds are out of the question! We had fish before, cats have an uncanny way of wrecking a fish tank if they have a mind for raw fish for dinner. Same with birds, we used to have a parakeet, dang cats figured out a way to get it as well. Strange things happen when the lights are out and noone is home or all is in bed.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,058 ******
    edited November -1
    I will be keeping Oscars, in a big tank. Oscars are big and aggressive. Cat will only have to stick her paw in the tank once.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I had some pretty big oscars for a long time - disadvantage: no other fish in the tank with them!

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911