In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SHTF, 2 Guns

akfanatikakfanatik Member Posts: 580 ✭✭✭
edited May 2007 in General Discussion
What 2 firearms would you bring in a crap hits the fan, civil war, invasion of u.s. type scenario, one long gun, and one sidearm, thats it

-Ak-47
-G17

Comments

• Options
    WinM70WinM70 Member Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not this again.
    Stop the insanity.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,599 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whatever I have the most ammo for at the time [;)]
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pretty soon you won't own any guns so the question would be irrelevant.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    I love these threads...![:D]

I'd say:

long gun: AR-15 or M1a. Mags are easy to find, ammo is relatively common, both are accurate. And they look cool.[8D]

sidearm: I'm leaning towards some sort of revolver in .357. That way I can load up on .38 specials if I have to and there's no need to scrounge for magazines or worry about jams because I was too lazy/busy to clean it properly.
  • Options
    Ba SardoBa Sardo Member Posts: 562 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For my long arm, I'd choose a Thompson SMG. It's got enough range for what I'd likely need it for in urban combat. For the sidearm, I'd choose a Sig P220. Never had any troubles with mine and it uses the same ammo as my long gun. Cuts down on the logistical nightmares.
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    .308 scoped Model 700

.45ACP 1911A1

NO doubt about it.

Doug
  • Options
    TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an AR-15 and a HiPower at the ready.

Love 'em both.

Trust 'em both.
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    .45 auto 1911 model 700 .243[;)]
  • Options
    KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    AR-15 and Sig P220.

Surprised to see a vote for Hi-point, I've always assumed they were sub-par pistols like Jennings or Lorcins.
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    Scoped 30-06 Ruger tang safty 77 and probably a Colt 45ACP, although I may decide on a S&W 57 41mag for the handgun. I want the 30-06 for sniping as I don't plan on letting an enemy get close. But just in case I'll probably have a 1911A1 type.
  • Options
    KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Kodiakk
    AR-15 and Sig P220.

Surprised to see a vote for Hi-point, I've always assumed they were sub-par pistols like Jennings or Lorcins.

that's Browning Hi POWER, not hi point;
    entirely different beasts.

Hey, if Col. Smith (from the A-Team) carried one it shouldn't be a POS [;)]
  • Options
    KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    Oops misread! haha [:D]
  • Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ak-47 75 round drum.
    Springfield XD .45 Hi-cap 13 rd mags.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by akfanatik
    What 2 firearms would you bring in a crap hits the fan, civil war

Your limitations were stupid.
    My choices are a Ruger 10/22 with a good suppressor (I have a LRM Vidar} and a Mossburg or Rem pump 12 gauge shotgun.
    There can be no other choices.

CP
  • Options
    Fatboy livesFatboy lives Member Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Toss up between, mauser, or F191.

Toss up between 1911, or CZ 9MM.

Guess it would depend on amount of ammo at the time for which firearm, and situation in general.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Barrett M-107 for long range
    Stoner 63A for close in
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mk 19
    Barrett M-107 for long range
    Stoner 63A for close in

You are Nookin Futz
    I have not been in a Marine uniform in many years.
    But have been in Serbia and Afghanistan some lately.
    This is purely personal, I want 12 GA shotguns and any "close range rifle". 40 -300 meters.
    And I am not a fighter any more, look at
    http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/
    and JOIN up to help.
    They are always looking for help.

They are the only Frenchy thing worth a Shiit
    The US should have something like the Frogs
    This is where I work 6/12 months
    I have a job that allows it

That is why these stupid questions anger me so much

CP

Mk 19 Your weapons are unobtainium. Get Real
  • Options
    OJMayoOJMayo Member Posts: 704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the SHTF I would call Iran and ask for their assistance in defeating whomever it was that invaded. They have a good track record with that kind of stuff.
  • Options
    Ba SardoBa Sardo Member Posts: 562 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by OJMayo
    If the SHTF I would call Iran and ask for their assistance in defeating whomever it was that invaded. They have a good track record with that kind of stuff.

Oh sure, go ahead and give more jobs away to foreigners...[;)]
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Only things I own and have ammo for - FAL and 1911.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My pea shooter and my * cannon.
  • Options
    CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    Kel tec RFB sporter, 1911

32 inches long, so it would be pretty good for close quarters, yet it is still a .308 with a 24 inch barrel, so you can still reach out and touch people with it.

Their ammo would last long enough to scavenge other weapons using more common smaller caliber ammo.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A pair of suppressed .22s. If you can't find me, you can't shoot me.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    If I could get a set of wheels for the mini-gun and get Doug to carry some extra ammo, this is what I would want to bring to the fight!

[img][/img]MiniGun.jpg
  • Options
    DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rifle, I am debating between the PS90 and the AK47, neither of which I have yet but both of which I want.

Pistol, I am debating between my Beretta 92FS and my new Five Seven. I am considering carrying both at the same time though.

Can't carry too many guns because I need to bring the sword as well in case of zombies.
  • Options
    akfanatikakfanatik Member Posts: 580 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    11b6r, what if they do find you, youre arsenal might be a little underpowered, especially with reliability issues of .22 ammo
  • Options
    Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by akfanatik
    11b6r, what if they do find you, youre arsenal might be a little underpowered, especially with reliability issues of .22 ammo

Yeah but 11b6r knows he only needs one shot...plus it can be any worse than my 25
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    OK, I'll bite! My mini-14 and my kimber 45 acp. and a ton of ammo.
  • Options
    swamp_thingswamp_thing Member Posts: 695 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only one gun, one bullet and good accuracy will get you the guns and bullets of your first zombie. After that the acquisitions will carry you through.
  • Options
    CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    why take an AK or an AR, you will be able to get plenty of those. Don't worry about ammo availability, when you scavenge the ammo, you can also scavenge a gun that uses that ammo. Don't worry how much ammo you can carry, with any rifle you can carry enough to last you long enough, then you can scavenge if you are victorious.
    Pick a gun that gives you the best chace of surviving the first few days.
    The AK will be good when its been a while, all your weapons are beat up from running, dropping to the dirt, etc, the ammo will be easy to find, you won't need batteries for a red dot or anything....
    But in the begining, the guy with a quality perfectly maintained accurate rifle with a tactial site using batteries using ammo that isn't very common will probably kill the guy with the AK, especially if he spots him at a distance where the AKs lack of accuracy will really show.

AKs, ARs, Glocks, shotguns... they will all be a dime a dozen once you start scavenging.
    Thats why I stick to my choice of the RFB, with only one long gun, a shotgun will leave you dead from a ranged enemy, a 50 bmg will leave you dead from the guy with an AK a block away or guy across the room with a shotgun.
    I suppose you could pick a long range rifle, and use the pistol for close range, but pistols arent the greatest combat weapon... Id go for a long range rifle that is also good up close.... Like a springfield SOCOM II, or the Kel Tec RFB (sporter or carbine models).

For the pistol.... does it really matter, its a backup.... something big .357 revolver or 1911, if you need more ammo than that, your probably screwed anyway, although both those pistols will be common.... so maybe something less common like the FN 5.7?

Wait... no, for the pistol I'd choose one of those bushmaster AR-15 pistols.... 30 rd mag, lots of energy, decent range.
  • Options
    Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    Did the SHTF from a Zombie attack or something else.
    It makes a difference if we got to shoot Zombies.
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Uh...Sig - I hope you haven't put a down payment on that rig yet. If you are counting on me to be your ammo bearer, I can carry 11 rounds of 30MM or 27 rounds of 20MM.

Maybe you should re-think your choice, cause with this one, the battle would be quite short.

Doug