In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

mini - 14

flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Anyone have a preban? If so, how do you like it??

Comments

• HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    How does one tell if the gun is pre-ban?

Hypocrisy is the homage paid by vice to virtue.
    Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    It is no more accurate than an AK but cost much more. I have had several mini 14's all Pre ban. I love to plink with it. The draw back were the cost of good hi cap mags and when the darn thing heated up I could not hit anything with it. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HAIRY
    How does one tell if the gun is pre-ban?

It has a folding stock, a flash supressor, and a high-capacity magazine.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    The only true pre ban mini 14 is the GB series. The mini 14 was not put on the ban list. Bill Ruger made a deal with the government that did not put the mini 14 on the list.[8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And why was the mini not put on the ban list?
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    my guess would be because the standard ruger magazine only holds 5 rounds which makes it strictly a hunting rifle not a high capacity so called "assualt rifle". And probably as a move to gain approval with the anti-gunners Ruger keeps a death grip on the Ruger factory high capactity mags and will not allow them (even before the ban) into civilian hands. Not even a factory 10 round mag. And sure you can buy plenty of after markeet 20 30 or even 40 round mags, but they usually don't function very well. JMHO

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get an AR, any AR! Or as others have said an AK.

Had a mini-14. Got rid of it right after the 1st range session. Anything but the factory 5rd mag stove piped. Factory 20rd mags? Hmm not worth it to me to pay $75 to $135 per mag. At that price, I can get almost 20 Ak mags, and at least 4 to 6 quality AR mags.

Check out:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=15717138
    http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=15733134
    http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=15878804

Regards,
    190191.gif
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man I must be incredibly lucky, when I shoot my mini-14 I rarely have problems and I use aftermarket mags, And the crazy thing about it is while my buddy is clearing jams from his ar-15 I continue to plink away. So Flat8 I love my mini and IMHO the ar-15 is one highly priced piece of jamming plastic.
  • mustangmustang Member Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have one and love it!!! BUT it wants to key hole out past 200yrds. an the hotter it is the worse it gets.
    i've got 3 fac. ruger 20 rd. mags, paid 20$ each in the early 80's. i should have gotten the hole case that dealer had. i could sell them and retire now!!!![:D]

Warroad.gif
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I have had many Mini-14s and liked them all. I've never experienced any of the problems others have mentioned.

I routinely shoot coyotes out to 300 yards with a fixed 4X scope.

Maybe if you're experiencing keyholing, you need to try several different kinds of ammo.

Because of Ruger's anti-gun-owner policies, I'll never buy another NEW Ruger.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911