In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SBI oops!

bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Read in the Fayetteville paper that two men were prowling around a young woman's house, then banged on the door a few times hollering to be let in. She got scared and called her boyfriend and her mother. The two men left. The boyfriend got there with his pistol and cleared the area then went into the house. Moments later the two men returned out front. The boyfriend with the pistol at his side opened the door and was shot once in the chest. After entering the house and ordering the girl to the floor they began questioning her by asking if she was the law enforcement officer on the scene. She then noticed a badge hanging around the guy's neck. She found out later that they were State Bureau Of Investigation officers. Her and her boyfriend who were soon to be married didn't even have a parking ticket between the two of them. They searched the house and grounds and when the guy turned blue they called for an ambulance. The guy was shot through a lung and is in the hospital. The officers refused comment and an investigation is being conducted.

Sounds like the wrong address and a failure to identify. In NC it is not illegal to walk around on private property with a gun. You can carry one down the street as long as you don't point it at someone. I think maybe they were going to a drug bust where they had an undercover officer working which is why they asked her if she was "the" cop. Looks like the two kids will have a very nice wedding compliments of the NC taxpayers for these two's error.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems

Comments

• njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    These incidents always make my blood boil!

I realize that NO ONE is perfect! I made mistakes during my police career, but they never cost anyone their life, health, or freedom.

I pray for a speedy and complete recovery for the victim, serious pentalties for the LEO's involved, (if they were in fact wrong, I do not have any first hand information) and a large award to drive home the need for LEO to be CERTAIN of their actions.

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I left out the part where the local cops arrived and the SBI shooter bragged that he had one shot, one kill on a bad guy. I don't understand why they waited to call for the ambulance. The girl said that they seemed confused. She also didn't say anything bad about them. She was just hoping her fiance would be ok. Said he couldn't talk ,but could squeeze her hand.

• Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I came up in an era where there were no SWAT or TAC teams on every department, and where there were very few "state" boys except for troopers on the highway and some high level investagator type, plus crime lab, etc.

Now days, every dept. has a special unit, the state has units for their units and then toss in all the federal types. But keeping the eye turned to to local departments, the training of these folks leaves a lot to be desired and in some cases I also question the screening process, not just when they applied for the TAC, but when they were applying to the department. In a lot of these young fellas I sense a cross between Rambo and Ninja Warrior and it worries me.

In this latest example, from what is said, there was a failure to identify ... the team quit the scene, the boyfriend came and he answered the door armed and was summarily shot ... not good, not good at all.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
    edited November -1
    Sure makes it hard on the good cops when the Rambos screw up.

• 3gunner3gunner Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just for the record, I too have spoke with someone that is directly associated with this incident. Nothing close to the original post on this topic. It was an SBI Agent and an IRS Agent. Not a drug bust gone bad.

It's a shame that some people will believe every word they hear or read in some local paper and then broadcast it out as the gospel truth.

What do you actually know about this incident, other than what the Fayetteville reporter wanted you to believe[?][?][?][?][?][?]

"Have a gun that works every time. All skill is in vein when an Angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."
    Raleigh.gif
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So what do YOU know about the incident? Shot for an overdue tax bill?
    edited November -1
    C&P from another local news......

SBI Agent Involved In Robeson County Shooting

POSTED: 2:39 p.m. EST February 10, 2004
    UPDATED: 11:57 p.m. EST February 10, 2004

MAXTON, N.C. -- An agent with the State Bureau of Investigation was involved in a shooting in Robeson County on Tuesday.

The SBI confirmed that agent Donovan Mitchell Deaver, of the Southeastern District, shot a suspect during an altercation Tuesday morning. Deaver was placed on administrative leave pending an invesigation.

The incident occurred at 1899 Red Hill Road, where the victim's girlfriend lives, near Maxton.

The victim was identified as Sammy Bailey, Jr.

Deaver reportedly was investigating Bailey in another case when the altercation broke out.

Bailey was transported to Scotland Memorial Hospital in Laurinburg with two gunshot wounds in the upper torso. He was admitted to the intensive care unit in critical condition and later underwent surgery.

The SBI's Professional Standards Unit is investigating. Agents from other SBI districts have been brought in to conduct the investigation.

According to the father of Bailey's girlfriend, the SBI agents came to the residence looking for Bailey, who was not there at the time, and did not identify themselves as SBI agents. He said his daughter did not answer the door and called Bailey on the phone after becoming frightened.

The SBI agents reportedly left and then returned after Bailey came over to the home. This time, Bailey answered the door after the agents knocked, and then the altercation began.

According to the state Department of Justice, Bailey displayed a firearm at Deaver and an agent from the Internal Revenue Service who were conducting the investigation.

"Have a gun that works every time. All skill is in vein when an Angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."
    Raleigh.gif
    edited November -1
    p3skyking:
    the only thing I know for sure is that I don't know enough about the incident to go posting my limited opinion against some officer or agency.

Raleigh.gif
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    The government is out of control. Not the first incident, not the last. The People need to do something to get law enforcement repaired.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
    edited November -1
    You are "The People". What do you suggest?
    edited November -1
    That is not the article I read. It was much longer and had interviews with the girl and her mother. Since when is it against the law to possess a gun in the presence of an officer? And is it a shooting offense?

• Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An interesting point is raised in all of this "back and forth". There are apparently 2 media reports where information conflicts and one is questioning why anyone should wholly accept the reporting of one, while touting the reporting of the other.

Not stated is the time of day that the SI occurred. If it was night time, especially late ... why in the world would an IRS investigation prompt a nightime visit.

Not stated is if the boyfriend lived there or not. If he did not why would the IRS be looking for him there, regardless of the time of day.

If it is/was an IRS matter, why the SBI type.

Was there a failure to identify?

The investigation should answer the above questions and many more that aren't raised here.

And, regardless of the circumstances, if a "suspect" is shot the first answer is that the "suspect" was resisting, etc., etc.

In my years of living it appears to me that the only things the majority of the media likes to get their "journalistic teeth" into more than an "officer involved" shooting are any other gun related things that can further their "anti-gun" leanings.

All of this still does not "moot" the point about the level of training and the Rambo/Ninja Warrior attitudes.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
    edited November -1
    More in the paper today. Now the guy had an ASSAULT rifle and confronted the officers. The girl is still swearing that the gun was held hangung at his side and that he was shot upon opening the door. It was noon and the boy was not a resident of the home, but came to his girlfriend's aid when she called stating that two men were banging on the door and hollering. The paper stated that it was not clear if the officers identified themselves as such or what exactly they were doing at the girl's house in the first place.
    She should have called the cops too. I wonder if she did if the cops would have shot the armed plainclothes officers who had guns drawn.
    The whole thing stinks like last week's fish.
    3 gunner, I never said it was a drug bust. I said it sounded like one that had gone bad by way of the wrong address. And just what does "displaying a gun at someone" mean? He didn't say he was threatening him with it or pointing it at him. It sounds like the guy had the gun at his side as the girl said and the officer shot too quick. None of it would have happened if they'd have brought a uniform with them. Lucky for the SBI agent that did the shooting the SBI is conducting the investigation. Gee, I wonder what they'll find?

edited November -1
    Did the article in the Fayetteville Observer actually state that the "officers were prowling around the house", "banging on the door", "hollering to be let in", "waited for the guy to turn blue before calling the ambulance", and that the two of them "didn't even have a parking ticket between them"? If the Fayetteville reporter did state those "facts", how does he know? If the article did not report those particular "facts", was this just your own spin on things? You can throw in a few carefully selected words here and there and put an entirely different outlook on things. The only truth here is that you, me, and the reporters trying to please their editors and sell papers know nothing about the factual details of this incident. I'm not trying to take the side of the LEO's, but I do think it is a little premature to start casting the blame. It will be interesting to see what comes of this.
    edited November -1
    These were all statements out of the girl's mouth, who is the only one talking at the moment. Except for the statement that "he displayed a gun at the agent and was shot". In the Maxton area and other areas that are primarily Lumbee Indian populations, the law enforcement officers have always been a little heavy handed and quick to shoot. It has been this way for as long as I've lived here. I can't even count the number of times a" drunk indian with a weapon"[invariably a knife] was shot and killed for nothing more than walking home with a buzz. Now I don't know that the guy is an indian, but most of the population of the Maxton area are. I suppose it is the similarity to these past events that has me leaning toward believing the girl's side. She's been interviewed twice and hasn't changed a word of her take on the events. I also am very interested in seeing how this plays out. I'll have my answer if the story disappears from the papers.

• Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    The first srep in fixing out of control government seems to me to be reducing the population of lawyers by about 80 percent.

From that point, more solutions would become apparent.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911