In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Doc says you have ____ this long to live

plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
or have good health? What would you do? Come on and be real about this one. No glib answers or shallow response. Had it happen to me once -- verdict was 2 hours to 2 days max (that was 9 years ago this month. Docs are not always right and sometimes can not understand the power of prayer and determination. So what would you do? When you finish your responses I will come back and let you know choices I made. You might want to read this and come back to it in 4 hours or so, that is how long it took me to make my final decision.

Comments

• Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with you there scout. My grandmother was given a 1% chance of surviving the night. After that they gave her 2 weeks to live. They only missed by three years. I have seen a few who were pretty much buried only to dust themselves off. Prayer can do amazing things.

Mad Dog
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I would do all the things that make me happy. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    When I was born the docs told my mom I wouldn't make it through the night.

Well....I turned 51 last month.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What would I do? Nothing. When the Lord thinks my work is done He will call me home. And that will be a glorious day.

I too have faced death several times--death is an old friend of mine. I truly don't sweat it.

Rafter-S
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That would leave someone with no more than one hour and 59 minutes to live.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not scared to "go home" and have thought about helping it along before. I think for me it would just depend on the timing in my life. I have an appointment coming up next monday that I have a gut feeling will be life-changing for me. [V]

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quote: I'm not scared to "go home" and have thought about helping it along before.

bambihunter, If helping it along means what I think it does, you best talk it over with a minister. The "home" you will go to may not be the one you want.

My humble suggestion,
    Rafter-S
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That time has passed Rafter and I appreciate your sentiments (yes, that is what I meant).

This was well over a year ago and I was literally at the end of the amount of perpetual pain I could endure. For reasons literally only god knows, the pain was reduced to a manageable level that has allowed my life to return to some 'semblance of a real life.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2 hours to 2 days is quite a range; alot would also depend on whether I was able to walk/move/etc. I think I'd make a few phone calls to my folks and some relatives (assuming they're not present). I'd try to talk my way into a drive in a Ferrari. I'd like to have a good steak and/or sushi dinner. Jot off a short will (I'm young and poor, so this would be REAL short). Hang out with some relatives and friends...but not just sit in bed, actually go out and do something, like shoot pool or something. Try skydiving (luckily, there's an airport near here). Maybe write a final note, poem, or something. Then hopefully kick the bucket in my sleep.
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    I would just have to be thankful for what time I had with my family and friends! That's why I always try to live each day to the fullest, ya just never know when your number is up!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Even before my mothers death in April 2003 and my fathers death in December 2003 - I've lived so I could be proud and/or satisfied with my life.

I'd not change that too much, but carry on like this if I got a "verdict" like the Doc's give.

However, not wanting to end up in a nursinghome or unable to do anything or being dependant on machines - being a bother on my family - ...

I've come to realize that I'd want to end it by my own hand, before it got that far.

polarbear.gif
    Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Pa's got it right. Life is a gift lessened by regret.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I posted here a couple weeks ago, my younger brother was just given 6 months & told to clean up his affairs.
    In his case I believe they may be right. He has elected to spend what time he has left travelling the U.S.(health permitting).
    I hope & pray things turn out different but he called from Harrah's in Nevada last night & said he was really getting tired, might come home early.
    I don't know what I'd do in his shoes but my hat's off to ANYONE who can find a way to cope with that much adversity & remain sane.
    [:(][:(]barto[:(][:(]

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.-JFK
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pa's got it right. Live each day as if its your last and above all Pray. I've seen prayer work and I firmly believe in Gods healing Grace. You will be on my Prayer list today.
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    A couple of thoughts...

"Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." - - - - Dag Hammarskjold

"We weep over the graves of infants and the little ones taken from us by death; but an early grave may be the shortest way to heaven." - - - - Tryon Edwards

... Got God? [:)]

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me." -Isaiah 6:8
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    If I was terminal and only had a short time to live....hrmmmm.....I'd go out with a bang and take all the people that piss me off to the grave with me.[:D]

aliens.jpg
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pabooger
    I would just have to be thankful for what time I had with my family and friends! That's why I always try to live each day to the fullest, ya just never know when your number is up!

that's a fact. last thursday a friend of mine (36 years old) just dropped while taking a shower. don't know why but he sure appeared to be in good health last time i seen him.

"Life is not a journey to the grave wtih the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body,

But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

-WOW- WHAT A RIDE!!!!!"
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would spend every moment with my family.

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Very nice guys. Most of you have either faced this or are close to someone that has faced the end to the journey. Your thoughts are not just glib off the cuff bravado, but thought out.

So when 9 years ago I was told 2 hours to 2 days and it was over, they offered an operation that I was told was risky and not likely to succeed and would leave me an invalid. I later found out the operation had been only tried once before and they guy died and that the ailment that I was suffering from (blocked portal vein) is normally found in an autopsy.

At first I thought I did not want to be a invalid or burden on my family and as my father had just died the month before and my cousin had been in a nursing home for 18 years because of a farm accident. So I told the docs and my wife thanks for the offer but I am checking out, permanently in a few hours to a couple of days.

The docs were stunned and my wife accepted it as I had had this talk with her for years. See I have never feared death, it is and was living that scares the daylights out of me.

I then requested a phone and called my two best friends and my business partner/friend and said goodbye and thanked them for being my friends. Then my kids arrived and I said goodbye to my 13 year old and my 11 year old.

Then 4 hours came and went and had a call back from one of my friends who was a doc and also another guy ICU nurse and then I had those 4 hours to think. What had I told my kids all their lives? NEVER GIVE UP! I could lay there and die and they would always remember their dad who talked the talk but did not walk the walk. I knew I was better off fulfilling my job as their dad if I died fighting than as a quiter.

The docs organized a team and surgury started in a half hour. I will not go into the details but I was there for 2 1/2 months and several more surgeries and several more close calls as I knocked on, opened the death's door, looked in and walked away. I walked out of there eating normally, functioning normally and also had full use of my noodle resting on my neck.

So what was the prayer I and my children and wife learned? "Thy will be done" Not my will but Thy will. Hard to accept but that was what I learned to accept.

What have I done since? Well bills still need to be paid. My kids had to go to college. Life went on and I went on. Now most people that knew me have forgot that I was ill. Those that did not know me don't have a clue.

Now another era comes and I face new challenges including health issues. What will I do different this time?

Spend more time with my family if they will have me. I will continue to try my best to be nicer to people, even though I was not so bad before. I will try to accomplish some of those journeys that I want to complete before my life's journey ends. Still I will work and move forward the same as I have the last 9 years giving of myself to to others and keeping in mind always: "Thy will, not my will, be done."

Hope our paths cross and we can share in person a fire and swap some of our hopes and dreams. Thanks for your comments and posts.

Go forth and live -- also, catch me if you can. [:)]

PS - My friend the doc died a little over a year ago at age 47. He was healthy and world famous in his field, head of a department at Johns Hopkins. God called him unexpectedly on our part but apparently not according to God's. No man knows the hour or moment.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • SwwboSwwbo Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm gonna sale all of Stephens guns and head to Hawaii before I die!!

Chihuahua_mexican.gif
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Plains Scout, I want to thank you for sharing that story. I certainly have taken more than one point away from your journey, and I hope others have as well. God bless you... again.

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me." -Isaiah 6:8
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Plains, thanks for sharing.[:)] Pa, I might just learn to live with you.[:0]

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Thank you.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911