In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question about "Cops"

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
First off, this is NOT a cop bashing topic! I support the police and the job they do, well except for the DOT[:D]

Question is on these TV shows like "Cops" and others when we get to see a chase end whether it is a car chase or foot chase as well as some other suspect grabs, is it necassary to have 10+ cops all with guns drawn and then pile on the fella? Is this all play acting for the cameras or does this happen off camera as well?

line2.gif
email2b.gif
hillbilly.gif

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Thats how it is done Lonnie, Down here ya see a car pulled over for speeding, ifn there aint 5 cars surrounding em, something is wrong.. ya should see the speed trap set up across the street where we live, it takes 10 cops to do it, They dont want to let one slip through.[:D][}:)][}:)]

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,036 ******
    edited November -1
    I think a lot of what you see on "COPS" is played to the camera.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think they are all auditioning too. A lot of what I see doesn't seem to be necessary even to insure the cops safety. Of course, I'm not there and don't see it all, I guess. But, it seems to me that this show doesn't do the LEOs image any good in the eyes of most of the public...JMHO.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I like to see a punk get busted down as much as the next guy but it does seem they use an awfull lot of overkill at times. I pass most of it off as showing off for the camera.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • Options
    96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Think about it; these guys are high on the hog.
    There is something to be said for officer safey ;ie two cars respond to a call. Ten cars, now that's a bit of overplay unless they got word Bin Laden is held up in a crack house.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • Options
    IdahjoIdahjo Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Grandstanders"[:(!]
    From 30 years on the streets, I can tell you that those "Cowboys" are playing to the camera! The ones that aren't will only make it to retirement IF they get promoted and get out of the public's face[:0]
    Personally, I can't watch "COPS", it makes me Puke!
  • Options
    daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Some of those cops make cops look real bad.
    Once a man has compied and done what he's told and is on the ground,I see no need for "slamming" a knee in the head and back, three guns on him and three to cuff him. But I'm not a film director either.
    I also realize the "mayberry" days are over too!
  • Options
    lawmanlawman Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of that is Grandstanding !!! It does make law enforcement look bad, the way they do things on there! I can't watch it either, right down too much over kill. Been a Deputy for 26 years, never had to use that much force. Have been times I wished I had that much though...lol. TREAT EVERYBODY THE WAY YOU WOULD WANT TO BE TREATED.....unless they give you a reason not to.
  • Options
    deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont watch a lot of TV but the show 'COPS' is always fun to watch[:D]

use_deer.jpg96EB.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Watched it tonite, after a chase they had several cops with guns drawn on this guy who was all but laying down as ordered but was having trouble because of the police dog. The officer in charge of the dog sttod there for a good 5 seconds letting the dog mess with the guy before he pulled him back.

Like I said, I fully support the police and have nothing against them but the more I watch that show the more turned off I am.

Did get to see where a homeowner took the gun from an intruder and slightly messed him up(dead) with it and the homeowner was not arrested, good deal[:D]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • Options
    kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, now if you have 4 officers chasing a guy and they catch him: Should 3 stand back and let one officer duke it out with him? Just how stupid is that?
    Yes, I know I have seen this done in movies like Lethal Weapon. And both end up bloody messes.
    There is little reason to hit a suspect if there are several officers.
    It is easer to subdue a suspect with as little injury to all if he is just over powered with several people.
  • Options
    capecodcapecod Member Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was a LEO for many years after being discharged from the Army and I never saw one man who could not be subdued by no more than three officers - even escapees from the NH State Hospital. Perhaps its different in today's world but I can't help but believe that many of the officers shown are playing for the camera on COP's - I've given up watching the show plus I don't think it creates a good impression of the police to the public. If anything, it alienates people - the last thing that our police want, need or deserve.
    John

My Prayer: Dear Lord, Please let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.........
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Down here in Florida, I have never seen a criminal apprehension as seen on TV, however like I said, I do see many a speeder pulled over and within a minute there will be at least 4 cop cars one on each side and front and back. BR and I counted the cops at the Speed Trap they had two highway patrol cars with Radar in one parking lot, two more three blocks down the Road, with three county cops on each side of the road, for a total of ten. Now thats what I call "they are looking for the bad guys" [}:)][:o)][:o)]

I know it aint set up for them looking for bad guys, cause they do this about every two weeks in the same spot. and they do get a bunch of speeders cause the speed limit drops from 55 to 45 in about 100 feet. What a source of Revenue..[:o)][:0]

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    "Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do..."

Which ones are the bad boys again?

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There aren't always 10 guys and 5 cars, but by the time a chase is over all the cars converged on the guy's route are in line behind him. I do think they aren't taking any chances with the camera crew there, and keep in mind they always let the camera crew join into any interesting action on a given night, so that's at least one extra car to begin with. Notice that another black & white or two is already on scene when the camera car arrives. Unless it's a surprise stop, they seldom get there first, probably for the camera crew's safety.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • Options
    elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine was beat to death by 12 cops and he was doing nothing illegel except sitting in a public alley. He was ask to leave and he started to when one of the officers punched him with a night stick and he tryed to defend himself while getting away. And the fight was on. He died of a heart attack none of the cops were charged even tho there was witnesses.

col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    I am a man but I can change if I have to,I guess.
    Tolono.gif
  • Options
    IdahjoIdahjo Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doubt you have the whole story... I always found it interesting after seeing an incident first-hand how the story changed each time it was related by someone. "FACT"
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    My kind of cops! Did the hero cops have time to shoot him 57 times before he croaked?

As a serious heart patient, interactions with LEOs ALWAYS make me fear for my life.

The system is out of control.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911