In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The stickiest stuff...

Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
edited March 2009 in General Discussion
I needed a small container in which to store some fire starting/making materials for a little survival kit, and I had just finished off some lemon pepper stuff from an outfit called Fifth Season. The 4" by 1" little plastic bottle seemed like it would do the job.

Had a paper label, no problem to remove.

So, not being in a rush, I filled it with water and submerged it in a glass for a couple of days. It didn't unstick. Put it in the dishwasher - 4 times - no unstick. Boiled it in detergent-laden water - you guessed it: the label was good as new.

Finally I soaked with some gun cleaning stuff called Rusty Duck and it began to loosen. Three or four more treatments and I finally got the damn thing off.

Now...what the hell did I want it for ??

I want a jug of that glue.

Doug

Comments

• Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doug,

Container:

Try 35mm film canisters. If you do not have any, let me know, and I will mail you a few.

Glue:

Not familiar with the adhesive used on the label, but if you are looking for a good glue, give 'Gorilla Glue' a try. Works great.

Shane
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Gorilla glue if strange stuff. It foams-up, as it dries. I tried to glue some numbers on the front of my mailbox. The glue foamed up and they slid about 2 inches down. I shouldda taped'em i guess...
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Usually the best stuff for removing a sticky label, is WD-40.
  • Options
    btkbtk Member Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the airborne herbal cold remedy containers. Waterproof according to my tests, no paper labels.
  • Options
    k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    A product called Goo Gone is the best for all sorts of sticky messes.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the best for label glue is AMMONIA,..it eats the glue like nobody's business.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    stickiest things are a politicians palms...can get a death grip on vast amounts of money
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wsfiredude
    Doug,

Container:

Try 35mm film canisters. If you do not have any, let me know, and I will mail you a few.

Glue:

Not familiar with the adhesive used on the label, but if you are looking for a good glue, give 'Gorilla Glue' a try. Works great.

Shane

I sent you an electronic mail message.

Doug