In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Want to chat with H&R fans...

macusermacuser Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Two events bring me to this forum.

First, there had been an H&R forum on another website until just recently. Unfortunately, H&R Talk there is no longer available. I had the chance their to get to know a number of other folks who are fond of and knew a lot about H&R handguns in particular.

Then, in the process of listing and selling a couple of guns recently here on gunbroker, I've felt somewhat restricted by the e-mail policy. There are people bidding on the guns, and unless they win, I probably won't ever get to chat with them. That's kind of a shame. I don't mean to propose a change in the policy so much as I wonder if it would be possible to move that discussion here instead.

In any case, I miss that general interaction and also feel as though an aspect of selling I rather enjoy (on ebay at least) is missing here.

Anybody else share either of those feelings? I'd be happy to talk with anyone interested in H&R handguns in general and/or the ones I have posted at the moment in particular.

Have a great day...

- Dave

- Dave

Comments

• Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    The Marlin Talk web site that included H&R talk was brought back to life.
    Looks just like the old one.
    I signrd up and got a new password, however I have not been able to access it for a couple of days.

The webmaster is larry@marlintalk.com
    The URL is: www.marlinowners.com

Steel is for guns Tupperware is for leftovers

happy_fc.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 22WRF
    The Marlin Talk web site that included H&R talk was brought back to life.
    Looks just like the old one.
    I signrd up and got a new password, however I have not been able to access it for a couple of days.

I'm still getting this... ????

"To All H&R Talk Users: For various administrative and technical reasons, H&R Talk has been removed from our website on a permanent basis. We apologize for any inconvenience that this decision may cause you. Thank you for your continued interest in H&R 1871, LLC."

- Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    The software keeps you from contacting your bidders, except the high bidder after the auction ends. This keeps the seller from making an off-auction deal, or offering the item or similar item to the lower ranking bidders.

I understand GB's need to do that. All I'm saying is that because of that, I miss the opportunity to interact with other people who are apparently fans of the same type of firearms that I am. I see them bidding on mine, or bid against them on others, and I never know who they are.

The H&R Talk site brought together such folks of similar interests in a non-bidding, non-competitive atmosphere. And that was a lot of fun ... and I think helpful, too. I miss that forum.

The point I was trying to make and maybe didn't make so well ... was that I wondered if that type of interaction could be recreated here. The nice thing about the H&R Talk collector's forum was that it automatically identified a self-selected audience of people with similar interests.

Anyway, thanks for your reply, too!

- Dave

- Dave
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    quote:I'm still getting this... ????

"To All H&R Talk Users: For various administrative and technical reasons, H&R Talk has been removed from our website on a permanent basis. We apologize for any inconvenience that this decision may cause you. Thank you for your continued interest in H&R 1871, LLC."

That is the message from the old site of Marlin Fireams Co.
    It was removed for libabilty reasons, whatever that may be.

The new site is not connected with Marlin Firearms Co.

This the email I got from the new site however still can not access it today

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:22:08 -0500
    [ Add to Address Book | Block Address | Report as Spam ]
    To: <bfair38@myway.com>
    Subject: Welcome to MarlinOwners.com Forums

Welcome to MarlinOwners.com Forums

Please keep this email for your records. Your account information is as follows:

Username: 22WRF
    Password:

Please do not forget your password as it has been encrypted in our database and we cannot retrieve it for you. However, should you forget your password you can request a new one which will be activated in the same way as this account.

Thank you for registering.

--
    Thanks, The Management

Steel is for guns Tupperware is for leftovers

happy_fc.gif
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome. Any thread you start here on H&Rs will be responded to and read with interest. Feel free to join in. Maybe I can learn more about 'em too.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • Options
    358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    welcome Macuser
    try some of this I have one written down somplace but can't find right now when I do Ill send it to you.
    I personnal like the 22special and the 999 had a mint old hunter but as would have it it was left in the woods by one of my boys 10 or 12 years ago, I cried but didn't let them know, my daughter-in-law begged me for the 4" American so she got that, what is your favorite?

[urlhttp://www.google.com/search?hl=en&amp;lr=&amp;ie=ISO-8859-1&amp;q=H&R+FIREARMS+collectors&amp;btnG=Google+Search][/url]

Son if you didn't learn something today, you wasted the whole day. (Jasper N. Lee, my granddaddy)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 358 WINCHESTER

welcome Macuser...what is your favorite?

First, I found the forum site you refer to and found some familiar names in the posts there as well. Thanks!

As to my favorite H&R, that would be tough, but it would definitely be a modern top-break.

I think the first one I ever bought is still a strong contender for that title -- a six-inch Model 999. It was new at the time and that was...30 years ago now that I think of it!

I don't really have "classic" models at this point -- just sold the two old semi-autos I had had for a while right here on this board and a 1950s Model 732 to a friend.

My other favorites at the moment would have to be my engraved 999 they made in 1981 with "1 of 999" on the barrel. Also fond of my Model 935, another top-break, but in the five-shot .38 S&W configuration and with a snub nose barrel and nickel finish. I was able to alter a set of Pachmayr grips to fit that one, making it look a bit different than with the stock plastic wrap-arounds that came on it.

Other than the top breaks, I did just buy last fall (again here) a Model 976. That is an old west style side-eject nine-shot .22 with part blue, part case hardened finish. I think the finish on that one is about as nice as anything I've seen on an H&R.

If I could only have one...an awful thought, by the way...the survivor would be my original Model 999.

- Dave
  • Options
    358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bidding on a 999 as we speak[:p][:p][:p]

Son if you didn't learn something today, you wasted the whole day. (Jasper N. Lee, my granddaddy)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bidding on a 999 as we speak[:p][:p][:p]

If its the one here on this board, then its the same configuration...and looks to be about the same vintage...as mine.

Good luck! [:)]

- Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bidding on a 999 as we speak

Seller says that one has an "AE" prefix on the serial number, indicating it was made in 1968, according to my serialization list here. Mine was actually made in 1976, just a tad younger.

Here's the list. Not sure this will all fit here, but I'll try and see what happens...

HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON SERIALIZATION
    1940 - 1982

Year Starting S.N. Prefix
    1940 A
    1941 B
    1942 C
    1943 D
    1944 E
    1945 F
    1946 G
    1947 H
    1948 I