In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

scooter riders Incredible Motorcycle Journeys

sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
tell us a story about your best or longest ride, Mine was in 1979 when I graduated high school, I had just bought an old Harley Electra Glide and my buddies both borrowed their dads bikes , we decided to ride from a little town in north Louisiana to Alaska, We headed out I-20 across Texas with sleeping bags and one old pup tent, rode it to where it turns to I-10 out in west Texas and went on out to Arizona where we jumped off and went to San Diego. We spent several days bumming on the beaches from there up through LA on up the coast to just south of San Francisco, then we jumped over so we could ride up through the Yosemite National Park to see the red woods, worked our way back over to the coast and rode up to Portland spending several days along the way just loving life, One of the guys had an older brother in Seattle and we laid up there for a few days and then headed north, Got to the Canadian border up by Blaine/White Rock and they would not let the other guy with us cross, we did not think about he was only 17 and on a bike registered to his dad not him, No amount of talking and phone calls would get us through so feeling rejected we done what every bunch of teenage boys would do, tried to find a place to sneek across. Run up on a group of other guys on bikes and got to talking, they invited us to stay with them until we made up our minds what we were gonna do next, This is where it got interesting , they lived in an honest to God Hippy Commune outside of Billingham Washington, Nothing but free love and happy little weeds, we stayed there for three weeks and was more tired when we left than we were when we got there, The other guys were going from girl to girl but I had hooked up with a pretty little Cheyenne Indian girl and would have brought her home to meet moma if she would have come, we would have stayed longer but we were running low of cash and needed to start back, We left there cut across to Spokane and caught I-90, we rode it across Idaho to Bozeman Montana where we cut south and run Yellowstone all the way down through the Grand Tetons then cut cross country to get to Casper Wyoming . We went south and right outside of Denver I dropped a valve, Made it in to a shop and was running bad low on cash, the guy that owned the shop was cool and helped up get a job at a brickyard named Robinson Brick cleaning antique brick and stacking them on pallets, Only time on the whole trip we rented a place to stay , The guys at the yard made arrangements for us to stay at a cheap hotel owned by someone they knew , we ended up staying there 3 weeks , long enough to get my bike fixed and put a little money back in our pockets, By the time we left there we were getting pretty wore out so we just cut and run for home down though Wichita Ks. down to Tulsa Ok. across to Fort Smith Ar. to Little rock and then south to home,,,,All in all we were on the road a little over 5 months, Never in this day and age would I sleep on the side of the road in a sleeping bag, or in a tent if it was raining but us 3 boys did and still talk about it today we we meet up. Now at my age it makes my bones and knees hurt just to think of making a run like that

Comments

• grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have any Idea How hard that is to read.[xx(] Gave up on that 1st long sentence.[xx(]
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got the first and last sentences, but at my age trying to read that makes my eyes hurt.
  • owen219owen219 Member Posts: 3,799
    edited November -1
    Good read, great trip, thanks for sharing!
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Good story Sharp. Got a 16 year mind in a 63 year old body[:(]
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Coming down the coast somewhere along the Del-Mar-Va Penninsula as I approached a really long and tall bridge on my 1979 Goldwing I saw a curious roadsign that looked like a flying motorcycle. I was pondering the implications of that strange sign all the way up to the apex of that bridge where it's true meaning became apparent when the road bed went from pavement to steel grating made with channels just wide enough to capture a bike's front tire and very slippery from moisture. Extreme acceleration and an absolutely straight course was the only option to avoid dropping the bike and risk being creamed by a semi so I twisted the grip and hung on all the way to the very top where due to the need for steel to expand and contract there was a huge gap in the grating except for the places where a car's tires would line up. Unfortunately, I was not lined up for one of those and could not turn left or right to get lined up because my front wheel was captured by the grating. More throttle and a quick prayer for a painless death and next thing I knew I was the flying motorcycle from the sign as I crested the gap and the bridge made it's rapid downward run. I was pretty happy with myself for about a half a second until I realized I would have to land on those damn grates and hope to re-capture my front tire in a groove rather than catch it on a divider or at an angle. Well it wasn't anything like a 5 month trip, but I swear I lived and relived my entire life on that bridge. It was emotionally and physically exhausting. Some genius, who is probably a millionaire by now, built a biker bar at the base of that bridge where I pulled in to join a dozen or so other white knuckled crossers of the flying motorcycle bridge who all found it quite amusing to note that I "flew" a Goldwing.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Living in Wv at the time and we left for Bike Week in Daytona. Snow on the ground and cold as hell. I am on a 47 knicklehead with suicide shift. Made it all the way to the city limits of Daytona and the rear jug blows. Now where in hell do you find a rear jug for a 47 knuck in March at Daytona Beach? Pulled my scooter to the motel we were staying at with one of the other scooters and a long rope. One of the racing crews was staying there at the same motel and they heard about my problem. In less that a hour my motor was completely torn down in their trailer/ Machine shop/ garage ready for a rebuild.

A couple hours and a few more scooter bums with the knowledge of my miss fortune and all the parts I needed for the rebuild was sitting there for us to use. By dinner time I had a complete rebuild 47 knuckle motor ready to install back in my scooter. We all partyed that night and the next morning everyone helped me put the motor back in. A little shot of either into the carb and she fired right up. Man the power she had. Made it back to WV with no problems.

Total out of pocket expense, maybe $200.00 worth of Budweiser.
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Seems some of ya'll didn't get out of 6th grade.

PUNCTUATION.......PARAGRAPHS!!

dammitt

• bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Somebody's ALLWAYS gotta crap on a neat post, seems like.
    [:(]barto[:(]
  • longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kind of did the same thing in 75. A buddy was supposed to go with me but he chickened out. Went by myself. Rode around through Colo.,Wy.,Ut., Mt.,& the Dakota's. Almost drown. The only rain gear I had was the poncho I kept fron my inf. days. All my clothes got wet or damp and about froze in the mountains. Met some nice people, and some real *. Got married the next year & took our honeymoon on the bike. Been taking a vaction ride, or 2 or 3 every year since. Love the lifestyle & the freedom.
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dnelson457
    You have any Idea How hard that is to read.[xx(] Gave up on that 1st long sentence.[xx(]

You got farther than I did.[xx(]

I did not have any desire to get past "tell us"..
  • Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    I just ride mine everywhere.

img103-1.jpg