In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need oxygen

lazeruslazerus Member Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2005 in General Discussion
Ok heres a theory I dident read in a book
As you all know in the old testament there are numerous characters who lived for hundreds of years. Could it be true because back then due to a huge abundance of plant life being simpler and having developed a long time before animal life there was a tremendous amount of oxygen in the atmosphere, coupled with a low preponderance of disease, facilitating a long life for humans?

Comments

• Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    lazerus: Don't take those age spans as gospel. The ancient writers gave the people--as an honor--more years to their life span.

You'll notice that as the abiility to confirm how old the person becomes, the more accurate the age also becomes. [:D][}:)][;)]

Paraphrasing Mark Twain: It's not what you know that makes you look stupid, it's what you know that just ain't so.

Volenti non fit injuria
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Durn Harry you finished the argument before it got started
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think they had more disease in the old days and I doubt if they had any more oxygen back then than they do now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    there had to have been more oxygen there were more plants and fewer men and other animals and no cars.
  • Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Edited to add this link: http://www.drdino.com/articles.php

I found the site of the person that I mention here. I couldn't find any information on his site about his theory about the water in the atmosphere but he has many articles listed for reading about his theorys. Maybe even Hairy will check it out. The guys name is Dr. Kent Hovind aka Dr Dino. If I remember correctly, he was a science teacher and agnostic before finding God and accepting Jesus into his life.

First off, don't listen to Hairy on this. In my opinion, if he were "all knowing" about the Bible, then he would believe in God. With that said, a church class that I was in watched a video series by a guy that laid out the whole geneology from the Bible. (I'll try and look him up on the net and post a link to his site) With this geneology and many of his other theorys, he makes a VERY conveincing argument about the earth being only 6000 years old; not millions. One of these theorys is that the water that caused the flood of Noah's time was a barrier in the upper atmosphere that blocked a lot of the harmful effects from the sun. He shows with the geneology that people stated living shorter lives after the flood.

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Id forgotten about the argument that the earth is only 6000 years old, I figured everybody had accepted the existance of dinosaurs on earth millions of years ago.
  • Options
    Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    Not sure but I seem to remember that there were only 8 mos. in a year back then.. Also some people set years by seasons. Celts set years by solor apexs 2 times a year.

Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slash0311

Maybe even Hairy will check it out. The guys name is Dr. Kent Hovind aka Dr Dino. If I remember correctly, he was a science teacher and agnostic before finding God and accepting Jesus into his life.

First off, don't listen to Hairy on this. In my opinion, if he were "all knowing" about the Bible, then he would believe in God. With that said, a church class that I was in watched a video series by a guy that laid out the whole geneology from the Bible. (I'll try and look him up on the net and post a link to his site) With this geneology and many of his other theorys, he makes a VERY conveincing argument about the earth being only 6000 years old; not millions. One of these theorys is that the water that caused the flood of Noah's time was a barrier in the upper atmosphere that blocked a lot of the harmful effects from the sun. He shows with the geneology that people stated living shorter lives after the flood.

On the other hand, if you truly believe that every word in the Bible is truth, then why would you need to prove it with crackpot theories? Isn't it enough to simply...Believe?

Just askin'.

"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
    Hunter S. Thompson"
  • Options
    springer1springer1 Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes you do[:D][;)][;)][xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:On the other hand, if you truly believe that every word in the Bible is truth, then why would you need to prove it with crackpot theories? Isn't it enough to simply...Believe?

Yes it is enough for me to just "believe" but others on here don't accept that. Plus I wouldn't call this a "crackpot" theory. In my opinion, it is not any more far fetched that the idea of evolution and that we came from monkeys.

waco.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    Good point. One man's crackpot theory is another man's science.

Hunter S. Thompson"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One mans crackpot theory is another mans crackpoot science.[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    'round and 'round we wander, lost.
    trying to decide
    from monkeys or a higher mind
    from which did we derive.

you say potato, I patahto
    chiken or the egg
    from Eden lost or Darwins thoughts
    which theory do you dig?

two sides at war and words are slung
    with intellect and wit
    passion, feeling, rancor (mild)
    and respect (a little bit)

Remember, all, we are one world
    like or love or hate
    Keep it up, it's worth the time
    spent here in this debate.

***Father, Husband, and all around Nice Guy***
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lazerus
    One mans crackpot theory is another mans crackpoot science.[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

I stand corrected.

Hunter S. Thompson"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Slash0311: quote: In my opinion, if he were "all knowing" about the Bible, then he would believe in God. By reading your bible, anyone with an open mind is forced to come to the conclusion that it is all superstition. Example: the story about the ark--every (?) animal on earth? LOL; another example: Jonah and the whale: really? LOL. Example: Story of Job. LOL.

quote: With that said, a church class that I was in watched a video series by a guy that laid out the whole genealogy from the Bible. (I'll try and look him up on the net and post a link to his site) With this genealogy and many of his other theorys, he makes a VERY conveincing argument about the earth being only 6000 years old; not millions. This type of "proof" has been postulated since Medieval times--with as much relevance as their argument about how many angels could dance on the head of a pin. BTW, how does this good "Dr." account for the discrepancies in the two genealogies given for Jesus/Yashua/Joshua? quote: One of these theorys is that the water that caused the flood of Noah's time was a barrier in the upper atmosphere that blocked a lot of the harmful effects from the sun. He shows with the genealogy that people stated living shorter lives after the flood. Does he have any explanation for the longer life spans being experienced now--particularly in light of the loss of the ozone? LOL

Paraphrasing Mark Twain: It's not what you know that makes you look stupid, it's what you know that just ain't so.

Volenti non fit injuria
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay Hairy, I'll bite one more time on your ramblings.

quote:By reading your bible, anyone with an open mind is forced to come to the conclusion that it is all superstition. Example: the story about the ark--every (?) animal on earth? LOL; another example: Jonah and the whale: really? LOL. Example: Story of Job. LOL.

The Bible says two of each animal that breaths air. Why does this make you laugh out loud? What is so funny about Jonah and the Whale or the story of Job? I actually don't see your point on these. Or if you are up to this challenge:

Dr. Hovind's $250,000 Offer
    Author: Dr. Kent Hovind
    Formerly $10,000 offered since 1990

I have a standing offer of $250,000 to anyone who can give any empirical evidence (scientific proof) for evolution.* My $250,000 offer demonstrates that the hypothesis of evolution is nothing more than a religious belief.

Observed phenomena:

Most thinking people will agree that..

A highly ordered universe exists.
    At least one planet in this complex universe contains an amazing variety of life forms.
    Man appears to be the most advanced form of life on this planet.
    Known options:

Choices of how the observed phenomena came into being..

The universe was created by God.
    The universe always existed.
    The universe came into being by itself by purely natural processes (known as evolution) so that no appeal to the supernatural is needed.
    Evolution has been acclaimed as being the only process capable of causing the observed phenomena.

Evolution is presented in our public school textbooks as a process that:

Brought time, space, and matter into existence from nothing.
    Organized that matter into the galaxies, stars, and at least nine planets around the sun. (This process is often referred to as cosmic evolution.)
    Created the life that exists on at least one of those planets from nonliving matter (chemical evolution).
    Caused the living creatures to be capable of and interested in reproducing themselves.
    Caused that first life form to spontaneously diversify into different forms of living things, such as the plants and animals on the earth today (biological evolution).
    People believe in evolution; they do not know that it is true. While beliefs are certainly fine to have, it is not fair to force on the students in our public school system the teaching of one belief, at taxpayers' expense. It is my contention that evolutionism is a religious worldview that is not supported by science, Scripture, popular opinion, or common sense. The exclusive teaching of this dangerous, mind-altering philosophy in tax-supported schools, parks, museums, etc., is also a clear violation of the First Amendment.

How to collect the $250,000:

Prove beyond reasonable doubt that the process of evolution (option 3 above, under "known options") is the only possible way the observed phenomena could have come into existence. Only empirical evidence is acceptable. Persons wishing to collect the $250,000 may submit their evidence in writing or schedule time for a public presentation. A committee of trained scientists will provide peer review of the evidence offered and, to the best of their ability, will be fair and honest in their evaluation and judgment as to the validity of the evidence presented.

If you are convinced that evolution is an indisputable fact, may I suggest that you offer $250,000 for any empirical or historical evidence against the general theory of evolution. This might include the following:

The earth is not billions of years old (thus destroying the possibility of evolution having happened as it is being taught).
    No animal has ever been observed changing into any fundamentally different kind of animal.
    No one has ever observed life spontaneously arising from nonliving matter.
    Matter cannot make itself out of nothing.
    My suggestion:

Proponents of the theory of evolution would do well to admit that they believe in evolution, but they do not know that it happened the way they teach. They should call evolution their "faith" or "religion," and stop including it in books of science. Give up faith in the silly religion of evolutionism, and trust the God of the Bible (who is the Creator of this universe and will be your Judge, and mine, one day soon) to forgive you and to save you from the coming judgment on man's sin.

*NOTE:

When I use the word evolution, I am not referring to the minor variations found in all of the various life forms (microevolution). I am referring to the general theory of evolution which believes these five major events took place without God:

Time, space, and matter came into existence by themselves.
    Planets and stars formed from space dust.
    Matter created life by itself.
    Early life-forms learned to reproduce themselves.
    Major changes occurred between these diverse life forms (i.e., fish changed to amphibians, amphibians changed to reptiles, and reptiles changed to birds or mammals).

quote:BTW, how does this good "Dr." account for the discrepancies in the two genealogies given for Jesus/Yashua/Joshua?

Please excuse my ignorance on this one, WHAT DISCREPANCY? If you can give me a little more info, I will be happy to try and research an answer for you.

quote:Does he have any explanation for the longer life spans being experienced now--particularly in light of the loss of the ozone? LOL

People are living longer today than a several years ago but we are not living to 800 years old. I would attribute the longer lives we live today to better medicne and lifestyles.

Instead of asking me these questions when, I'll admit, my overall knowledge is limited, why not check out the link that I posted and get some of these answers yourself? Or is it that you don't want to know and that you enjoy stiring the pot and have no intention of looking for answers?

waco.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    I think science sets a framework for evolution, but clearly the process is too complex to figure out given the available information. Just because we dont know enough about evolution to prove it, doesnt mean that evolution theory is not based on good science. Science isnt perfect, but it beats the bible by a long shot when it comes to proveable facts.

Science doesnt know everything, but we have to trust that science is real. If carbon 14 dating tells us that people have been living on earth for hundreds of thousands or millions of years, I would believe that is true before I believe the bible that the earth is 5000 years old.

If archeology and forensics tell us that people in past generations lived short lives and science and pathology tell us people can only live to little over one hundred years, I believe that is true and that biblical accounts of people living to be 800 years old are false.

This still doesnt mean that evolution is correct, but at least it is based on theories that are supported by science, therefore it is a scientific theory, even if it is not scientific fact.

I'd be just as happy to believe the bible if there was any scientific evidence of people living to 800 years but their isn't. By the same token, if there wast so much evidence of things that are 10,000 and 20,000 and millions of years old already available to science, I wouldn't have trouble believing the bible.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just because Evolution has not been proven beyond a shadow of a doubt doese'nt mean its not sience. Science is a ongoing study of observations.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    http://www.drdino.com/articles.php?spec=73&kws=carbon

Does carbon dating prove the Earth is millions of years old?
    Author: Dr. Kent Hovind

Whenever the worldview of evolution is questioned, this topic always comes up. Let me first explain how carbon dating works and then show you the assumptions it is based on. Radiation from the sun strikes the atmosphere of the earth all day long. This energy converts about 21 pounds of nitrogen into radioactive carbon 14. This radioactive carbon 14 slowly decays back into normal, stable nitrogen. Extensive laboratory testing has shown that about half of the C-14 molecules will decay in 5730 years. This is called the half-life. After another 5730 years half of the remaining C-14 will decay leaving only ? of the original C-14. It goes from ? to ? to 1/8, etc. In theory it would never totally disappear, but after about 5 half lives the difference is not measurable with any degree of accuracy. This is why most people say carbon dating is only good for objects less than 40,000 years old. Nothing on earth carbon dates in the millions of years, because the scope of carbon dating only extends a few thousand years. Willard Libby invented the carbon dating technique in the early 1950's. The amount of carbon 14 in the atmosphere today (about .0000765%), is assumed there would be the same amount found in living plants or animals since the plants breath CO2 and animals eat plants. carbon 14 is the radio-active version of carbon.

You can read the rest of this article at the link above. Hey Hugh, thanks for a post that is informative, while debating, without attacking. I wish others were more like you.

waco.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    Slash,

Thanks for the info on Carbon 14 dating. Just goes to show there are two sides to every theory. I'm sure the estimates on the amount of carbon or co2 in atmosphere are just estimates. When your estimate is off a little at a calculation of thousands of years the results might be a little off. That same discrepancy might be much more significant on a calculation of millions of years.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, the class that we had watched the majority of the Dr's series on all of this. He really made some good points. Much more than even his web site is getting into. This guy has very good arguments for a lot of the "scientific evidence" on evolution and the age of the earth. One such example for the earth's age was that since man landed on the moon (wait someone will probably aruge that one) they place a mirror on the surface to bounce a laser off to measure the distance from the moon to the earth. The moon is constantly getting closer every year. They also mearused the amount of moon dust on the surface and measured the rate at which it accumulates. Based on these measurements, the dust would have been feet thick rather than inches if it were millions of years old. Of course this assumes a constant rate of accumulation.

There is so much information out there that seems to support both sides of this arugment but there really isn't any hard concrete proof for either side. Could this be one of the "great mysteries" that must force man to chose between evolution and God? Just a thought.

waco.gif

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slash0311
    Yeah, the class that we had watched the majority of the Dr's series on all of this. He really made some good points. Much more than even his web site is getting into. This guy has very good arguments for a lot of the "scientific evidence" on evolution and the age of the earth. One such example for the earth's age was that since man landed on the moon (wait someone will probably aruge that one) they place a mirror on the surface to bounce a laser off to measure the distance from the moon to the earth. The moon is constantly getting closer every year. They also mearused the amount of moon dust on the surface and measured the rate at which it accumulates. Based on these measurements, the dust would have been feet thick rather than inches if it were millions of years old. Of course this assumes a constant rate of accumulation.

What if "the man on the moon" sneezed a couple times

waco.gif

• Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HAIRY
    Slash0311: quote: In my opinion, if he were "all knowing" about the Bible, then he would believe in God. By reading your bible, anyone with an open mind is forced to come to the conclusion that it is all superstition. Example: the story about the ark--every (?) animal on earth? LOL; another example: Jonah and the whale: really? LOL. Example: Story of Job. LOL.

quote: With that said, a church class that I was in watched a video series by a guy that laid out the whole genealogy from the Bible. (I'll try and look him up on the net and post a link to his site) With this genealogy and many of his other theorys, he makes a VERY conveincing argument about the earth being only 6000 years old; not millions. This type of "proof" has been postulated since Medieval times--with as much relevance as their argument about how many angels could dance on the head of a pin. BTW, how does this good "Dr." account for the discrepancies in the two genealogies given for Jesus/Yashua/Joshua?
    One of these theorys is that the water that caused the flood of Noah's time was a barrier in the upper atmosphere that blocked a lot of the harmful effects from the sun. He shows with the genealogy that people stated living shorter lives after the flood. Does he have any explanation for the longer life spans being experienced now--particularly in light of the loss of the ozone? LOL

Hairy,,,I believe that when you put LOL after a bible quote,as you do above, you sound like lucifer himself! What is it that actually makes you laugh at the bible? Is it a nervous laugh? Or maybe you laugh in the face of those who believe...whatever it is, it is truly demonic.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Slash0311: Prove, through acceptable scientific tests, that a god exists. Thank you. BTW, your earlier post acknowledges "microevolution"--interesting eh? Is that like being a little bit pregnant?

Re: ark and two of every air-breathing living thing. Try to imagine a couple of elephants, rhinoceros, and hippos for starters--got enough room at the inn? Sure there was, it took a miracle!!! LOL

Re: Jonah: What did he breath while inside? How was he protected from the whales' stomach acids? Oh, I know--it was another miracle!!! LOL

Gotta love all these fairy tales, eh?

Cartod: Yep, the devil made me do it. [}:)][}:)][:D][:D][;)]

Volenti non fit injuria
  • Options
    Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    Geological matireal is not dated with carbon 14, it is dated by the radiation half life with is given off by everything.

Dance Hippo. Dance.
    hippo-blue1.gif
  • Options
    MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    Since when does evolution have anything to do with the formation of stars or the planets? "Dr." (of what, Fine arts?) Hovind's offer of 250,000 will never be won, not because evolution doesn't exist, but because the parameters he stipulates we must prove are false and have nothing to do with evolution.

Let me restate this: Evolution has NOTHING to do with the formation of the universe. Precisely nothing. Evolution is a biological process, the Big Bang was a chemical/physical process. Strike #1.

Evolution DOES NOT occur in individual animals. It is the forces acting upon a large group of animals, over many generations. Strike #2.

The existence of evolution DOES NOT disprove the existence of God. GOD and EVOLUTION can coexist. Strike #3.

Hovind can keep his money, which he doesn't have anyway.

mnd.jpg
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has anyone checked snopes? {lol}

reloaderror.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Dr. is a doctor the same way Dr. Dre is a doctor.

Dance Hippo. Dance.
    hippo-blue1.gif
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Aspen79se
    Geological matireal is not dated with carbon 14, it is dated by the radiation half life with is given off by everything.

Dance Hippo. Dance.
    hippo-blue1.gif

http://science.howstuffworks.com/carbon-142.htm

As soon as a living organism dies, it stops taking in new carbon. The ratio of carbon-12 to carbon-14 at the moment of death is the same as every other living thing, but the carbon-14 decays and is not replaced. The carbon-14 decays with its half-life of 5,700 years, while the amount of carbon-12 remains constant in the sample. By looking at the ratio of carbon-12 to carbon-14 in the sample and comparing it to the ratio in a living organism, it is possible to determine the age of a formerly living thing fairly precisely.

MCsig01.jpg
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    finally someone got carbon dating right
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JamesRK, note I said Geological, not biological.

Dance Hippo. Dance.
    hippo-blue1.gif