In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why is sooooo hard to help the gulf folks?

tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
edited September 2005 in General Discussion
I've talked to umpteen people at Catholic Charities, Red Cross, Salvation Army, Baptists, Lutherans, FEMA, etc. Sure, money is what they all need. I have no problem with a cold cash donation. What I'm offering is to load my truck with whatever they say is needed, at my expense...drive to where they say it's needed, at my expense. I ask for nothing except "What do you want, and where do you want it". Now that's an open ended offer. If they say...Not toilet paper...we need generators...you got it....Where? Drop it and get out of town?...OK. I'm feeling bitter, because I'm not being allowed to help. Actually, I do have a problem with monetary donations, because of how much goes to "administrative costs"......salaries. I'm offering what most folks can't spare....not just $...but time. What I need is a contact person that will work with me. Not an overworked schmuck that's instructed to just ask for donations. Pleeeeease?

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Their Thoughts are. "If your not a part of the system, you will be in the way" give us your money anyway...[:(]

yo-yo.gifsmilie_flagge13.gifmittelgr124.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Exactly, Larry...Like I told 'em I'll buy it, drop it and leave...What more can you ask for?

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    In 73 when the Tornado hit Brandenburg Ky and Xenia Ohio, I was on my way home from Ft. Knox,, I watched the tornado rip through town,, Made it to where what was left of my place, and waited for a while and then started on into downtown,, The police stopped me, and the only reason they let me in was I was Active Duty Army.. Had a pickup and a chainsaw, Used it to cut people out of the debris.. Otherwise my help would have been spurned..NO CIVILAINS

yo-yo.gifsmilie_flagge13.gifmittelgr124.gif
  • Options
    iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    They can't get into the hardest hit areas yet. Give it some time, and they will welcome people to come down and work. If you have contacts at a local church (not the charity branch, but a live, local church) in the areas that have been hit, contact them and they will take you up on your offer. One of our churches is in Metarie (sp?). Still waiting to hear from them or from their pastor.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Well it isnt just you either. I am part of a Forest Service Management team that deals mostly with fires but we are able to do any kind of incident mangamet. We also have over 100 people in our region trained in "outdoor" medical care from emt's, to paramedics like me. They arent calling us eihter. We did go to FL last year to build a camp for the incoming workers, but we could have done so much more, and FEMA didnt want our help [V]. They were short help in the local hospitals, and we had 7 trained people that could have helped. We asked several times if we could do ANYTHING and kept getting turned down. So I had a nice paid "vacation" to FL last year.

Just remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

John
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know Metairie and Westwego pretty well. My sister used to live there and still has inlaws around Baton Rouge and Shreveport.

• Options
    RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    Additionally, you can send aid through the Salvation Army--always reliable and trustworthy: You can support the Salvation Army by calling 1-800-725-2769 (1-800-SAL-ARMY) or on the Internet at www.salvationarmyusa.org.

tapwater: May God bless you for your willingness to help. I hope this post HELPS YOU to get some help to folks. The first map is to the RED CROSS HEADQUARTERS in Baton Rouge. Hwy 61 comes into BR from the North from Natchez, Miss. I-12 connects from 1-10 from the West--Lafayette, Lake Charles, etc. My understanding is that I-12 may NOT be open to the east from Hammond and the Mississippi Gulf Coast. The Red Cross is accepting any and all help--drinking water, generators, cans of gasoline, etc. Here is their phone number and address:...

American Red Cross
    Address: 10201 Mayfair Dr, Baton Rouge, LA 70809
    Phone: (800) 256-4733

RedCrossmap.jpg

The next map is to Healing Place Church, located on Highland Road on the south end of Baton Rouge. They are feeding and providing water to evacuees that are stuck here in BR. They will gladly accept BOTTLED drinking water and bulk food donations. THEY WILL SEE TO IT THAT YOUR DONATIONS GET TO THOSE WHO NEED THEM!!! Their address and phone number follows:

Healing Place Church http://www.healingplacechurch.org/
    Address: 19202 Highland Rd, Baton Rouge, LA 70809
    Phone: (225) 753-2273

HealingPlaceChurchmap.jpg

edited to add SALVATION ARMY contact info at top of post.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ramtin...Thanks so much..Got hold of the BR Red cross, and they were flabbergasted at my offer. She did say that maybe that kind of help may be more needed in a couple weeks when things have stabilized, and CNN has moved on to other things. Understandable. At least I have a working dialogue with someone.[^] Every coonass I've spoke with is still able to laugh. Dey gwan be OK, yap....

• Options
    Slash0311Slash0311 Member Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember when a tornado hit a town close to me in Indiana in 1990. The town was pretty much leveled. A MAJOR furniture maker in the next county brought over two or three truck loads of furniture to hand out. (I'm not sure how long after it hit that they brought them over) The red cross turned them away. I never did hear a good reason for it either. I would agree that a little time would need to be given to get law and order restored before letting everyone in to help. It would be hard to tell the Honest people trying to help from the looters and bad element.

waco.gif

When in doubt, unload the clip, Semper Fi
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Knowing the Red Cross they'll make people down there pay a fee for your donated items in order to cover their administrative costs. In my experience they can be like Red Cross, Inc. and don't want their books to go in the red.

I've been on scene at catastrophes before and heve been much more impressed with some of the other organizations, like the Salvation Army. You never had to go looking for these folks because they were always right there with you making offers of help without expecting anything in return.
  • Options
    cointosscointoss Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have to say my vote goes with The Salvation Army as well.

cointoss
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Mike and I (well, actually me, I haven't let Mike in on it yet[;)]) are donating our profits from our weekly 50/50 at the racetrack to the Red Cross.
    Not a bunch of cash, but cash nonetheless.

If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky-diving....
  • Options
    RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    Please note that my gigantic post above (with maps) was directed specifically to someone with a question about donating tangible assets OTHER THAN cash. No, I don't recommend cash donations to the Red Cross out of concern for mishandling. But I don't think there's much harm they will do with bottled water or food et al.

The SALVATION ARMY is, IMHO, the better choice for donating MONEY! They have long been known for safe-handling of donations. I don't expect that to change now.

You can support the Salvation Army by calling 1-800-725-2769 (1-800-SAL-ARMY) or on the Internet at www.salvationarmyusa.org.