In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

College gun bans draw fire

RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
College gun bans draw fire

http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/Story/gunbans052809

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Colleges nationwide have unconstitutionally barred students from handing out literature, protesting and gathering in support of the right to carry weapons on campus, students and an advocacy group say.

Christine Brashier, a freshman at the Community College of Allegheny County near Pittsburgh, said a dean recently told her she had to stop distributing fliers for the group Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, which has chapters at many colleges, and destroy the pamphlets she had designed.

"I won't be forced into silence. I just wanted to start a student organization. I didn't think it was going to get this much attention," Brashier said. "It only got this attention because they stopped me. People don't like to hear about suppression of free speech."

Brashier is licensed to carry a concealed firearm but doesn't take it to school because CCAC, like most colleges and universities nationwide, does not allow weapons on campus. Some states explicitly ban students from carrying weapons on campus, while others - like Pennsylvania - allow the schools to set policy.

But since April 16, 2007, when Seung-Hui Cho went on a shooting rampage at Virginia Tech University, killing 32 people and injuring 17 before turning the gun on himself, more students have been advocating for the right to carry guns on campus, and state lawmakers have been tackling the issue, as well.

Comments

• ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If this school has a ban on ALL types of literature then ok fine they are being consistent but they might see themselves in a nice lawsuit for discrimination and or civil rights violations if they are only going to ban the CCW stuff.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Tin soldiers and Nixon comin'!
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good thing they never checked my bookbag. When I went for my CCW, the Judge asked why, I showed him my address and told him I was a Ga Tech student and had to walk a long ways to my car after class. I still have that Bersa.
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    Idgits in Louisiana House rejected the "campus gun" bill yesterday by something like 82-16. Seems a bunch of dopes added useless amendments to it and it went down like a rock. Author promises to bring it back again later. We'll see. [xx(]