In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Samurai sword

SamuraiJohnSamuraiJohn Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited October 2003 in General Discussion
Any knowledge out there on an antique samurai sword, approx 100 yrs old, probabaly a little less. I believe it was made in China, not Japan. Is there any history behind this? It is damascas steel, folded, looks hand made. Any ideas on value????

"I, John Brown, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land will never be purged away but with blood!"

Comments

• Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Depends on the maker, the condition, and the history. Some are worth $300 some are worth $100,000. Why are you saying it was made in China? Is it stamped with any maker ID? Is the handle synthetic wrapped or does it have genuine sharkskin? Is there a temper line about 1/2" from the edge (the Japanese tempered the edge separately)?

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Options
    kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    under the handle the information for the blade should be marked..if you can pull the bamboo or other wooden peg out and slide the handle back....take a sheet of paper and pencil and get a rubbing of the marks..if real..it will be shark skin with silk wrap and possible gold type inlay under the silk wrapping..any competent japanese sword expert can tell you all about it...also the scabbard color and construction are good indicators for the region of manufacturing

it is good that we meet in the struggle of life or death.. .....it shall be life!
  • Options
    thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd love to see a nice photo of the sword in question.
  • Options
    SamuraiJohnSamuraiJohn Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well....I've had more than one person at gun shows say they thought it was made in China(forced labor by the japanese).One guy who builds pocket knifes from damascas steel was really impressed by the workman ship, said it was "built for use"(chopping people up).It is stamped or etched by the maker.The whole thing is bound in brown leather.It has a temper line.

"I, John Brown, am now quite certain that the crimes of this guilty land will never be purged away but with blood!"