In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Interesting evening with the * dogs

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in General Discussion
Talking to a freind of mine before hitting the woods with the dogs, he told me that he saw a black bear in our hunting grounds when he was out earlier.

First off let me say that I have religously been in the woods every year since I was a little brat, I'm 34 now. I spend more time in the woods than most folks do, day and night. I have seen just about everything the PA woods have to offer from chipmunks to some big deer and everything inbetween. Now as far as bear goes I am the most unlucky SOB to ever have lived here because I have never in my entire life seen a live bear. The only reason I know they exist is because I go to the bear check station every year and gawk at the kills that are brought in, but I have never seen one alive.

Anyhow, I head out to the game lands, where we hunt is aprox 30 miles of pure wilderness out and back, once you hit the Tuscarora State Forest you can drive for hours without even seeing a pole light, this is way out there in the middle of Timbuctoo. So I am going out with the dogs tied out for rigging and am just about to the last camp on the hard road when I see something run across the road into the pines, I hit the gas and speed up, grab the spotlight and there sits a bear, big and black with huge greenish eyes looking at me, WAY COOL! He was about 10 yards away from me, perfect for a picture I thought, so I grabs the digitas camera while trying to keep the light on him, just as I get the camera out of the case he walks off. By now the dogs are going beserk and are both given a dose of "elctro shock therapy". I want a dang picture of this so instead of letting him walk off into the scrubs I decide to go after him with the * light and camera, out the truck I go, putting saftey aside trying to capture this Kodak moment. I chased this stupid bear for probably 300 yards, all the closer I could get was about 50, yes I chased this thing! When I got to the base of the mountain I lost him, he can go uphill faster than I can[:(!]

So, here I am, nothing bigger than a .22, infact it was still in the truck as I forgot to put it in the holster chasing a * bear in the dark with a * light and a camera. The first friggin bear I ever seen and he wouldn't pose for a dang picture[:(!] Now I have heard all kinds of stories about people getting messed up by bears for being stupid, I don't know what to say, this thing ran from me and I didn't think twice about going after him, untill I got back to the truck. Man that was stupid wasnt it[:0] Now it will be another 20 some years till I get to see another one, guess I'll have to go to the zoo if I want a picture of a bear[:(!]

2004052802_Display-25.gif

Comments

• Options
    gauche_but_honestgauche_but_honest Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7mm nut

I'm 34 now...I am the most unlucky SOB ...putting saftey aside ...Man that was stupid

I have to say you were very lucky the bear didn't decide you would make a good supper. Apparently the good Lord wants you to see 35.
  • Options
    James AyersJames Ayers Member Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [8D]You're lucky you didn't REMEMBER the .22 pistol![:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)]

On your mark-get set- go away!!
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No pics?

Suuuuuurrrreee you saw a bear! [;)]

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security
  • Options
    jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    7mm, if'n you wanna see a black bear just come on down to Florida. I will take you to Ocala National Forest, I see bears every time I camp or hunt there.

Since Florida banned hunting them years ago the population has exploded. I saw 3 in one day the last time I was there.

JuJu(who doesnt like stumbling on a bear on the way to a deer stand in the dark)
  • Options
    CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like mine with mustard, ooooooooooh this is about * DOGS..I thought it said CORN DOGS.

PJ[:D][:D][:D]

editorialcolor.bmp
    If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA Endowment Member, AF&AM, Shriner Life Member, A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois "Chicago Chapter" Founding Member & Board Member
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    Every bear I have seen here in Washington or while I was in Alaska have all tried to put mileage between me and them as fast as they could. With all those hounds going berzerk in your truck, the last thing that bear wanted was to stick around for a "kodiak moment". I sure miss being out all night with hounds but since our pinko liberal half of the state had hound hunting banned about 5 years ago, it will never happen again in this state.