In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Before the age of overkill

dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
edited March 2007 in General Discussion
When I was a boy, and that was before a lot of you were born, most old farmers had one long gun. Sometimes, they had a rifle and a shotgun, but that was rare. They didn't believe in tying up money in more than one gun because it was better used in seed or livestock to make more money to feed their family.

I remember some of the arguments in the feed store at a checker table with a serious game of checkers in the balance, and they were as lively as today. A lot of them felt like a .22 rimfire was all a man needed. Ammo was cheap and it would kill anything that wandered up to the house and needed killing.

The second largest group were fans of the .30-30. They felt like it would not only kill varmints, but could also be used for putting meat on the table and as a defensive weapon. And as for as the price of ammo, they argued that if you fired more than 10 shots a year, you were either waisting ammo or a very bad shot. Now, these arguments were met with "a well placed .22 will do the same thing" from the previous group.

The minority were the group, who had either invested in a good quality commercial gun or a military surplus rifle, had a belief that you never fired a shot unless you needed to kill something. Because of this fact, the shot must be accurately placed, and have enough power to do the kill cleanly and in one shot. It was better to over kill some things than to under kill anything. That made the gun a tool, and the better quality the tool, the more completely the task was completed. Also, they agreed with the 10 shots a year and no need for worrying about ammo cost.

Now all of these arguments were met with counter arguments, and I remember a few of them.

"You don't drive a nail with a 2 pound sledge."

"Waisted money never comes back home."

"Why buy something new when what you have will do the job."

"Dead is dead. You don't have to blow it's head off to kill it."

"A good shot can put any bullet where he needs to kill anything he wants."

"It was good enough for my father, it's good enough for me."

"It's like religion and politics, we'll never agree."

"You destroy more meat than you save with that gun."

"Isn't that like draining the pond to catch the fish?"

"Only you could need a gun like that to kill something."

If these old men had known my brother and I were going through a 50 round box of .22's every weekend, they would have banished us from the feed store![}:)]

Comments

• Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...good post Dheff [:)]...brings back some wonderful memories.

... I remember some similar conversations like that down at my grandpa's in Pickton and Sulpher Springs...but most took place around a checker board, and at least one guy sittin on a big washtub "whitlin" at my grandpa's veggie/fruit stand....ahhh, I can still hear, smell, and see all the old guys chewin "tabaccie" and dippin Garrett snuff [^]

...and the fresh watermellon we'd bust open and just eat the heart, and chunk the rest...those are great memories, and great mellon too!...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Everyone around in our farm community olny had a 12ga of some sort. Dogs or cows worked on both.
    Seems some people have different values not much to change there.
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great read. Thanks.

If these old men had known my brother and I were going through a 50 round box of .22's every weekend, they would have banished us from the feed store!

America is truly blessed.
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I hate it!!

I remember it well.

First centerfire I ever shot was a Winchester 94 in .38-40 (the original 10MM), and the same day I shot the pistol - a Colt SAA, also in .38-40. Both weapons were purchased new by his father in 1930.

These were my Uncle's weapons, and his last was a single shot, bolt action Savage .22. He would let me carry that around his farm (when I wasn't buckin' hay) with the mission to kill all the crows. Never got a one!! But I brought home a bunch of bunnies and squirrels for my Aunt to make into supper.

He would take me with him to town, where after picking up supplies, we would go have coffee at the hardware store/gun shop, and sit in the shade on the back porch, and listen to the old men there (maybe 35 to 40 years old) tell him that he was a spendthrift to have "all those" guns. He would takeout his little coin purse and give me a nickel to buy an RC Cola or Dad's Old Fashioned Root Beer.

I once watched him empty that Winchester into a pack of feral dogs at maybe 250 yards, and drop one with every shot he fired.

I was nine years old, that first summer.

I oughtta write a book.

Thanks for the memories, Heff.

Doug
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by COLT
    ...good post Dheff [:)]...brings back some wonderful memories.

... I remember some similar conversations like that down at my grandpa's in Pickton and Sulpher Springs...but most took place around a checker board, and at least one guy sittin on a big washtub "whitlin" at my grandpa's veggie/fruit stand....ahhh, I can still hear, smell, and see all the old guys chewin "tabaccie" and dippin Garrett snuff [^]

...and the fresh watermellon we'd bust open and just eat the heart, and chunk the rest...those are great memories, and great mellon too!...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-1.gif

Yep, that was the way it was, and I long for those days.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    I hate it!!

I remember it well.

First centerfire I ever shot was a Winchester 94 in .38-40 (the original 10MM), and the same day I shot the pistol - a Colt SAA, also in .38-40. Both weapons were purchased new by his father in 1930.

These were my Uncle's weapons, and his last was a single shot, bolt action Savage .22. He would let me carry that around his farm (when I wasn't buckin' hay) with the mission to kill all the crows. Never got a one!! But I brought home a bunch of bunnies and squirrels for my Aunt to make into supper.

He would take me with him to town, where after picking up supplies, we would go have coffee at the hardware store/gun shop, and sit in the shade on the back porch, and listen to the old men there (maybe 35 to 40 years old) tell him that he was a spendthrift to have "all those" guns. He would takeout his little coin purse and give me a nickel to buy an RC Cola or Dad's Old Fashioned Root Beer.

I once watched him empty that Winchester into a pack of feral dogs at maybe 250 yards, and drop one with every shot he fired.

I was nine years old, that first summer.

I oughtta write a book.

Thanks for the memories, Heff.

Doug

I can relate to your memories too. They were good times, and we didn't worry about what the UN was doing or what the world thought of America. We were secure in our own family and our wonderful country.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very true! 30-30 for deer, 16ga for birds, a box of 50 .22 ammo was .65 cents at the hardware store.[8D] AND I could walk down the HWY with a shotgun and shell vest on to get to my hunting spot on the hill and passers buy did not even blink an eye.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those old gentlemen grew up in a time when ammunition was valuable. A time which, thank God, I missed. They would take three eggs to the store and trade them for one shotgun shell. They would take that one shell and try to find a rabbit. If they missed, they didn't eat supper. They not only didn't have the rabbit, they didn't have the three eggs they traded for the shell.

Sometimes we forget how nice we have it. Thanks for reminding me.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep, and nothing went to waist. Old, tough laying hens were boiled for chicken soup. We ate the cull eggs that wouldn't sell. Wild onions and grapes were used as food. Salt and pepper were spices that were never waisted, and "special" spices were only used for "special" occasions.

A penny saved was truly a penny earned.
  • Options
    tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    dang ya some old farts [}:)][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    ladyhunterladyhunter Member Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just wishing we could go back in time to the good old days i am not quite old enough to remenber things the way you guys do but i do remenber going to bed at night and not worrying about weather or not the doors was locked or if someone was going to drive off in your car
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It took you and your brother a whole weekend to go through 50 .22s? I used to burn up that many every day after school back in high school.
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    At least you have something the kids today don't and never will.

Well, at least they have a cell phone and an X-Box.

D.
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grandma was of the 22 rifle variety.

Brother got a whip'n once cause he used 2 rounds on a bat.
    It was still flip flop'n on the ground after he shot it out of the hay loft.
    She said he should have used a 2x4 or something.
    She didn't abide wasting ammo at all.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought my grandpa was going to banish a five year old boy when he found the buckshot from his 12 gauge shells turned into very flat, and make believe pennies!
    What's next?
  • Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My grandfather had a double barreled 12 ga. and a Stevens Favorite single shot .22. I never saw him shoot the shotgun, and only saw him slaughter livestock with the .22. One shot to the head killed a twelve hundred pound steer very easily.[:)]
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Accurate description of my upbringing.

I was raised on a small farm and assisted my dad in helping my great grandad work his larger farm. Dad and Grandad both had a similar view on guns, they liked them, but they were a tool, nothing more. Both hunted, but not for any other reason than filling the freezer and moderate recreation. Each household has several guns, but there were no collectors on that side of the family.

Lucky for me, my PaPa on Mom's side was a dyed-in-the-wool gun collector, hunter, trapper and all around ridge-runner. I got my love for firearms and the outdoors from him.
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a 1700 Port Royal Census, that shows a lot of my people had 2 or three guns, but I think they really had more, since at the time the King of France was levying a 100 Livre Tax per gun, and the King of England was still telling them to disarm.

Marie de ST. ESTIENNE widow of Sr. Alexandre LEBORGNE; Alexandre 20, Charles 15, Jeanne 18, Marie-Francoise 14, Anne 10; 14 cattle, 12 sheep, 27 arpents, 2 guns.

Marie SAVOIE widow of Jacques TRIEL; Pierre 23. Nicolas 17, Allexis 16, Madeleine 19, Marie 10; 4 cattle.

Jean BELLINEAUX 48; Jeanne BOURG (wife) 48; Jean 27, Antoine 20; Anne their niece; 18 cattle. 22 sheep, 26 arpents, 3 guns.

Francois ROBIN 57; Marie PESSELET (wife) 55; Pierre 20; Francois 18, Marguerite 17; Jeanne 14; 2 cattle, 3 sheep, 3 arpents, 1 gun.

Pierre LANOUE 52; Jeanne GOUTROT (wife) 35; Pierre 17; 15 cattle, 6 sheep, 12 arpents, 3 guns.

Jean BRIGEAU 49; Andree (wife) 33; Pierre 10; Jean-Baptiste 8; Marie 16; Anne 14; 7 cattle 6 sheep, 14 arpents, 1 gun.

Jean PASTATCH 42; Agathe VINCENT (wife) 36; Francois 4, Marie-Anne 15, Francoise-Marie 13; 7 cattle, 6 sheep, 5 arpents, 1 gun.

Charles BELLINEAUX 22; Madelaine MELANSON (wife) 22, Charles 3; Jean 1; 3 cattle, 2 sheep, 1 gun.

Claude ROBIN 29; Marie MELANSON (wife) 19; Marie 1; 3 cattle, 5 sheep, 2 arpents, 1 gun.

Bernard GODET 26; Jeanne TERRIAU (wife) 25; Pierre 2, 5 cattle, 3 sheep. 8 arpents.

Jacques DOUCET 29; Marie PELLERIN (wife) 20; Marie 3; Madeleine 2; 8 cattle, 5 sheep, 5 arpents, 1 gun.

Claude DOUCET 26; Marie COMMEAU (wife) 20; Charles 2; Marie 1; 5 cattle, 4 sheep, 6 arpents, 1 gun.

Marie LANDRY, widow of Germain DOUCET, 51; Pierre 15; Jean 2; Marie 4; 8 cattle 12 sheep, 20 arpents.

Jacques LERAMA (LeVanier) 47; Jeanne PISTRET (wife, widow of Barnabe MARTIN) 59; (children of MARTIN) Rene 29, Estienne 20, Jeanne 24, Cecille 18, Elisabet 11; 10 cattle, 12 sheep, 16 arpents, 1 gun.

Laurens DOUCET 31; Jeanne BABIN (wife) 32; Michel 16; Alexandre 14; Pierre 10; Jeanne 8; Marie 2; 8 cattle, 7 sheep, 15 arpents, 1 gun.
    Jean LABAT 67; Jeanne GOUTROT (wife) 47; 10 cattle, 12 sheep, 18 arpents, 1 gun.

Jean BROSSARD 46; Catherine RICHARD (wife) 36; Pierre 16, Fran?ois 6; Claude 5, Allexandre 1, Marie 18; Marie-Anne 14; Catherine 10; Isabelle 4; Fran?oise 3; 24 cattle, 26 sheep, 15 arpents, 1 gun.
    Estienne PELLERIN 53; Jeanne SAVOIE (wife) 42; Pierre 18; Jean-Baptiste 15; Charles 10, BERNARD 9; Alexandre 5; Anne 16; Jeanne 12; Marguerite 1; 12 cattle, 24 sheep; 16 arpents, 1 gun.

Francois LEVRON 49; Catherine SAVOIE (wife) 41; Jacques 21; Joseph 9; Jean-Baptiste 8; Madelaine 18; Anne 16; Marie 14; Elisabet 10; 12 cattle, 18 sheep, 15 arpents, 1 gun.

Abraham LANDRY 38; Marie Brien (BRUN)(wife) 42; Jean Baptiste 16; Claude 12; Pierre 11; Marguerite 14; Marie 9; 10 cattle, 16 sheep, 26 arpents, 1 gun.

Pierre DOUCET, widower, 63; Rene 20; Mathieu 15; 8 cattle, 10 sheep, 8 arpents, 1 gun.

Louise DOUCET, widow of Pierre Chienet DUBREUIL royal prosecutor 26; Pierre 8; Francois 7; Marie 2, 11 cattle, 7 sheep, 3 arpents.

Jeanne AUCOIN, widow (of Francois GIROUARD) 87; Julien Lord her son-in-law 48; Charlotte GIROUARD 40; Allexandre 24; Jacques 21; Pierre 18; Louis 5; Marie 13; Madelaine 8; Marguerite 2; 15 cattle, 34 sheep, 20 arpents, 2 guns.

Jacob GIROUARD 53; Marguerite GOUTROT (wife) Alexandre 29; Pierre 27; Jean 24; Francoise 20; Claude 16; Guillaume 14; Denis 12; Charles 11; Germain 9; Marie 22; Marguerite 17; Madelaine 5; Marie 2; 35 cattle, 32 sheep, 26 arpents, 2 guns.

Michel DUPEUX 63; Marie GOUTROT (wife) 61; Jean 25; Marie 18; 12 cattle, 20 sheep, 10 arpents, 1 gun.

Sebastien BRUN (widower) 45; Claude 21; Abraham 19; Vincent 18; Jean-Batiste 16; Anthoine 15; Marie 13; 10 cattle, 22 sheep, 10 arpents, 1 gun.

Bernard BOURG 48; Francoise BRUN (wife) 47; Rene 24; Ahraham 13; Jeanne 22; Anne 20; Francoise 17; Marie 10; Clair 8; 24 cattle, 18 sheep, 30 arpents, 1 gun.

Marie BOURG, widow (of Vincent BROT) 55; Pierre 27; Francois 25; Jean 22; Rene 15; Anne 27; Jeanne 16; Elisabeth 15; 15 cattle, 18 sheep, 12 arpents, 1 gun.

Claude TERRIOT 62; Marie GOUTROT (wife) 55; Claude 22; Pierre 16; Joseph 13; Marie 19; Madelaine 17; Elisabeth 14; Marie 9; Marguerite 7; 10 cattle, 13 sheep, 15 arpents 1 gun.

Martin BENOIT 50; Marie CHOSSEGROS (wife) 46; Clement 22; Jean 18; Pierre 16; Claude 14; Marie 20; Catherine 11; Anne 8; 15 cattle, 20 sheep, 10 arpents, 1 gun.

Pierre COMMEAU 42; Jeanne BOURGEOIS (wife) 32; Pierre 10; Anne 9; Francoise 8; Marguerite 2; 4 cattle, 3 sheep, 2 arpents. 1 gun.
    Charles CALVE 35; Madelaine PELLERIN (wife) 23; 1 child; 4 cattle, 7 sheep, 6 arpents, 1 gun.

Pierre LANDRY 45; Madelaine ROBICHAUX (wife) 36; Pierre 16; Jean-Batiste 10; Francois 5; Joseph 2; Rene 1; Marguerite 13; 18 cattle, 14 sheep, 22 arpents, 2 guns.

Claude LANDRY 40; Marguerite TERRIOT (wife) 33; Claude 10; Jean 5; Madelaine 15; Marie 13; Marguerite 8; Marie-Marguerite 6; Anne 3; 12 cattle, 14 sheep 32 arpents, 1 gun.

Charles DOUCET 35; Huguette GUERIN (wife) 33; Claude 14; Charles 12; Jean 10; Francois 8; Germain 3; Joseph 1; Madelaine 5; 8 cattle, 6 sheep, 14 arpents, 1 gun.

Jean BABINEAU 42; Marguerite BOUDROT (wife) 51; Pierre 17; Marie 8; Marguerite 5; 18 cattle, 16 sheep. 25 arpents, 1 gun.
    Bonaventure TERRIOT 56; Jeanne BOUDROT (wife) 55; 15 cattle, 12 sheep, 14 arpents, 1 gun.

Francois AUCOIN 35; Madelaine BELINEAUX (wife) 23; Jean 6; Joseph 4; Madelaine 2; 18 cattle, 14 sheep, 25 arpents, 1 gun.

Marguerite DOUCET, widow of Abraham DUGAST; Claude DUGAST 51;

Marguerite BOURG (wife age not reported); Claude 23; Francois 12; Joseph 2; Marguerite 18; Anne 17; Jeanne 16; Agnes 14; Madelaine 11; Cecille 8; Marguerite 3; 40 cattle, 25 sheep, 28 arpents, 3 guns.

Charles MELANSON 53; Marie DUGAST (wife) 49; Pierre and Ambroise, twins, 15; Claude 12; Jeanne 10; 30 cattle, 22 sheep, 35 arpents, 2 guns.

Marguerite MARTIN, widow of Jean BOURG, 48; Jean-Batiste 16; Madeleine 20; Catherine 19; Jeanne 16; 8 cattle. 6 sheep, 12 arpents, 1 gun.

Jean NAQUIN 32; Marguerite (wife) 30; Louis 1; 3 cattle, 5 sheep, 2 arpents, 1 gun

Martin BLANCHARD 55; Marguerite GUILLEBAUD (wife) 31; Rene 23, Pierre 8; Marie 25; Marguerite 11; 24 cattle, 10 sheep, 10 arpents. 1 gun.

Marie BOURG, widow, 28; no children, 2 cows, 8 sheep.

Mathieu MARTIN, widower, 58; 4 cattle, 10 sheep, 12 arpents, 2 guns.

Pierre GUILLEBAUT 61; Catherine TERRIOT (wife) 46; Charles 22; Marie 17; Jeanne 15; 16 cattle, 20 sheep, 13 arpents, 2 guns.

Jean CORPORON 51; Francoise SAVOIE (wife) 48; Jaques 25; Jean 22; Martin 13; Francois 12; Jean 8; Elisabet 18; Cecille 16; Marguerite 15; Marie 7; 5 cattle, 6 sheep, 6 arpents, 1 gun.

Laurens GRANGER 57; Marie LANDRY (wife) 50; Claude 21; Laurens 12; Anne 16; 12 cattle, 21 sheep, 12 arpents, 1 gun.

Rene GRANGER 28; Marguerite TERRIOT (wife) 21; Marie 4; Marguerite 2; 4 cattle, 6 sheep, 3 arpents, 1 gun.

Jean COMMEAU 47; Francoise HEBERT (wife) 40; Pierre and Etienne (twins) 20; Jean 16; Augustin 12; Claude 10; Francois 9; Marie 14; Madelaine 2; Francoise 1; 20 cattle, 28 sheep, 30 arpents, 1 gun.

Martin BOURG 41; Marie POTET (wife) 41; Abraham 20; Pierre 18; Amhroise 14; Francois 12; Jeanne 16; Anne-Marie 9; 13 cattle, 21 sheep, 30 arpents, 2 guns.

Pierre LEJEUNE 44; Marie THIBAUDEAU (wife) 37; Pierre 10; Germain 2; Jean Ig Marie 13; Jeanne 9; Marguerite 6; Anne 4: 8 cattle, 6 sheep, arpents, 2 guns.

Germain SAVOIE 44; Marie BREAU (wife) 37; Germain 18; Francois 16: Jean 8; Pierre 2; Charles is Marie 14; Madeleine 7; Marie 6: Jeanne 4; 10 cattle, 15 sheep, arpents, 1 gun.

Pierre DUPEUX 39; Madelaine LANDRY (wife) 45; Michel 19; Anthoine 16; Pierre 14; Rene 12; Anne 18; 22 cattle, 28 sheep, 26 arpents, 2 guns.

Pierre BRASSAUX 37; Gabrielle Michelle (wife) 27; Marie 8; 10 cattle, 13 sheep, 12 arpents, 2 guns.

Abraham BOUDROT 43; Cecille MELANSON (wife) 30; Jean-Baptiste 13; Michel 11; Francois 8; Marie 5; Cecille 3; Anne 1; 10 cattle, 17 sheep, 10 arpents, 1 gun.

Alexandre RICHARD32; Elisabeth PETITPAS (wife) 35; Jean-Baptiste 13; Pierre 3; Jean 1; Marie-Josephe 9; Marie 8; Marguerite 7; Jeanne 5; Angelique 2; 12 cattle, 14 sheep, 20 arpents, 2 guns.

Charles ROBICHAUX 34; Marie THIBAUDEAU (wife) 35; Charles and Rene (twins) 10; Anthoine 8; Augustin 7; Jean 6; Allexandre 5; Joseph 3; Francois 2; Angelique 13; 12 cattle, 14 sheep, 16 arpents, 1 gun.

Prudent ROBICHAUX 31; Henriette PETITPAS (wife) 25; Joseph 8; Prudent 4; Pierre 2; Marie 8; 10 cattle. 12 sheep, 8 arpents, 1 gun.
    Jaques BOUCHER 37; Marie PELTRET (wife) 35; Joseph 2; Paul 1; Marie 9; 4 cattle, 7 sheep, 5 arpents, 1 gun.

Rene MARTIN 29; Marie MINIER (wife) 32; Joseph 8; Pierre 3; 4 cattle, 5 sheep, 5 arpents, 1 gun.

Louis MEZEVOLET 39; Genevieve FOREST (wife) 37; Louis 10; 3 cattle, 4 sheep, 2 arpents.

Pierre BAPTISTE 37; Judith (wife) 40; Pierre 2; Jean 1; Judith-Marie 13; 4 cattle 8 sheep, 6 arpents, 3 guns.

Pierre LEBLANC 35; Madelaine BOURG (wife) 26; Pierre 14, Joseph 2; Madelaine 4; 30 cattle, 28 sheep, 18 arpents, 3 guns.

Guillaume BLANCHARD 49; Agathe GOUJON (wife) 45; Rene 23; Anthoine 21; Jean 13; Guillaume 10; Jeanne 18; Anne 16; Elisabeth 11; Madelaine 8; 26 cattle, 39 sheep, 30 arpents, 3 guns.

Pierre GODET 46; Marie BLANCHARD (wife) 44; Pierre 23; Anthoine 20; Germain 18; Guillaume 16; Denis 14; Jean 10; BERNARD 5; Marie 12; Marie-Anne 3; Jeanne 2; 23 cattle, 27 sheep, 25 arpents, 3 guns.

Emanuel HEBERT 47; Andree BRUN (wife) 53; Guillaume 19; Jean 16; Jaques 15; Allexandre 14; Martin 13; Catherine 5; 36 cattle, 33 sheep, 30 arpents, 1 gun.

Jean FREDELLE 57; Marie GODET 49; Louis 27; Ollivier 26; Jean 19; Anne 21; 30 cattle, 18 sheep, 20 arpents, 3 guns.

Pierre DEBEZIER, widower, 79; Suzanne 14; 6 cattle, 10 sheep, 4 arpents.

Jacques LEGER 37; Madelaine BEZIER (sie TRAHAN) (wife) 22; Jacques 5; Marie 2; 4 cattle, 7 sheep, 3 arpents, 1 gun.

Etienne COMMEAU (widower) 50; Alexandre 26; Pierre 17; Marie 22; 10 cattle, 16 sheep, 14 arpents, 1 gun.

Pierre THIBAUDEAU 66; Jeanne TERRIOT (wife) 57; Anthoine 26; Pierre 22; Michel 20; Claude 15; Charles 11; Marie 17; Catherine 14; 30 cattle, 28 sheep, 30 arpents, 3 guns.

Marie BERNARD, widow of Abraham LANDRY, 55; Germain 26; Abraham 24; Pierre 20; Jeanne 23; Catherine 18; Elisabeth 10; 23 cattle, 38 sheep, 30 arpents, 2 guns.

Pierre MARTIN 64; Jeanne ROUSELUE 63; Pierre, their son, 39; Anne GAUDIN, his wife, 28; Etienne 9; Pierre 8; Francois 7; Joseph 3; Cecille 13; Renee 12; Madelaine 11; Marie 5; Anne 1; 14 cattle, 20 sheep, 15 arpents, 1 gun

Jaques MICHEL 42; Catherine COMMEAU (wife) 28 Francois 10; Jean-Michel 8; Charles 4; Joseph 2; Judith 1; 7 cattle, 10 sheep, 7 arpents, 1 gun.

Pierre COMMEAU 49; Jeanne BOURG (wife) 43; Abraham 19; Joseph 14; Pierre 12; Marguerite 18; Anne 16; Jeanne 15; Angelique 9; Francoise, Catherine and Elisabeth (triplets) 8; 18 cattle, 14 sheep, 22 arpents, 1 gun.

Julien DUBOIS 42; Marie DESCHAINS (wife) 37; Joseph 12; Marie 10; 5 cattle, 4 sheep, 5 arpents, 1 gun.

Bernard DOUCET 35; Madeleine CORPORON 29 (wife); Jean 8; Marie 5; Agnes 3; Cecille 2; 5 cattle, 17 sheep, 12 arpents. 1 gun.

Anthoine HEBERT 35; Jeanne CORPORON (wife) 27; Anthoine 8; Marie 4; Agnes 2; Madelaine 1; 12 cattle, 19 sheep, 15 arpents, 2 guns.

Louis DAMOURS 48; Marguerite DION (wife) 36; Louis 3; Marie-Josephe 7; Charlotte 5; 14 cattle, 18 arpents. 3 guns.

Louise DION, widow of Sr. Mathieu DAMOURS, 37; Joseph 14; Louis 12; Francois 10, Nicolas 6, Mathieu 4; 6 cattle, 5 sheep
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    It is funny how in a recent post about choosing between 308 and 223 as a SHTF weapon that 95% of the thread was on the side of the 308.

I guess it is just the age we live in.