In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Propane...Again

BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,435 ******
edited July 2018 in General Discussion
Just got my quote to lock in on what it will cost me for the upcoming winter season. 1.65 a gallon.

Last year was 1.59 and the year before was 1.39.

Having a rented tank with no option to shop around has its limitations but would be interested hearing if anyone knows what their prices are to be set at?

Comments

• Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Paid $1.49 last year. I nave heard from dealer yet about this year so I am going to be calling this week and will let you know.

I own my own tank but have stayed with the same small dealer who lives in my town.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    notice to prepay contract yesterday at $1.44 in south central kansas
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,978 ******
    edited November -1
    this week..... $.99/gal. 300 gal min. pmt. in 10 days (own tank)
  • Options
    jesnlsnjesnlsn Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    holy smokes just paid 2.39 a gallon for 75 gallons at our local dealer, I didnt' price check him, but it's always over 2 bucks a gallon here. Flagstaff Arizona.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't want to hear any complaints...Suburban will guarantee $2.59 for six months if I switch from Amerigas...which that will cost about $300 to accomplish having Amerigas come get their tank, and Suburban set theirs. Amerigas was $4.35/gal the last time I checked. Both Amerigas and Suburban are crooks. I could buy my tank from Amerigas then i could shop around for suppliers but I need to check into that first. $400 for a used tank that I have had for 8 years now, that was used before it came to us doesn't seem like a great deal. No matter what I am looking at $800 to $1200 to fill before Fall. Then $600-800 more in March. And I only use it for heat below 40 degrees. [V]
  • Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just did summer fill for $1.089 , winter prepay is at ( I think ) $1.44 or winter cap is at $1.54, that takes a $75 dollar fee and then the max you will have to pay is the $1.54 , if the gas is selling at a lesser amount then you pay the lower cost
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Summer fill here in Ohio is $1.39 and winter contract is $1.59
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank God above for my free natural gas supply. I do run the backup generator on propane in the winter in case the natural gas regulator freezes up. I still have about 200 gallons of propane for the winter generator running.
  • Options
    kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last time I called propane was $1.49. I usually wait until August and get it at about $1.00. They will lower the price if you buy more than 500 gal. I will try back in a week for a lower price.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    have to ask the neighbor since i spliced into his line when he was on vacation[:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    fordsix...now that's working a budget...in the little town close to my lake place a friend had a large garden and thought the water bill was rather high so got to looking and at a hydrant on the far end found a neighbor had run a hose over to their house...they had money for drugs but not to pay utility bills ..he cut the hose in 2' pieces and locked the hydrant
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just got quote for 2018-2019. $2.25 per gal. for our tank which is 320 gal. and we own it.

Price is based on size of your tank and decreases by .10 to .15 per gal. as tank size increase.
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like who you rent your tank from your obligated to buy propane from them? If I rent or lease a car I'm not obligated to buy gas from the person/company I rent/lease from. Can someone explain? Sounds like highway robbery.
    Why can't you fill it from another supplier? Or is it cronyism like the politicians?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    It sounds like who you rent your tank from your obligated to buy propane from them? If I rent or lease a car I'm not obligated to buy gas from the person/company I rent/lease from. Can someone explain? Sounds like highway robbery.
    Why can't you fill it from another supplier? Or is it cronyism like the politicians?

Rented tank....yes and their rules apply. I do not believe that there is one company around in this entire country that allow you to have their tank (that you rent) filled by any competitor!
  • Options
    edited November -1

Rented tank....yes and their rules apply. I do not believe that there is one company around in this entire country that allow you to have their tank (that you rent) filled by any competitor!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    just prepaid my winter contract at $1.40 here at home
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Brookwood

In Virginia if you rent the tank, the supplier of the tank by law is the only company that can service the tank and fill it.

We currently rent from Amerigas...I called today and current rate is $4.03/gal. I called Southern States and they are $2.39/gal. To buy a new 325 gal tank is $1500 plus fess to set it, or we can buy our currently rented tank from Amerigas for $520. Once we buy it we can choose any LP supplier we want. So I've decided to buy my current tank. that way no more set up or take away fees, rental fees of * raping $4-5/gal charges.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thought that was rather high compared to last couple of years when USA supposed to be awash in fuel but the company i buy from says this is the poorest paying outlet of 17 but they have only got one long term employee that takes golden care of me and they otherwise hire bozos ...poor management
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Brookwood

..True here in IL. Just contracted @ $1.40 for this winter with a summer fill at $1.15. I'm at 20% now, so this should work out great. As long as we have enough wood, we can get by contracting 500 gal. Without the wood, it was almost 1,500 gal. per winter!