In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Vaults.

calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Does anybody here have a true vault? I have a custom built gun safe which is adequate right now. But some of the collections that I see on here are amazing. I am wondering if they are secured in a vault or a gun room, or if they just have multiple safes.

P.S. You may want to review your homeowner's insurance. Most policies have a cap on the amount they will pay for firearms. Just make sure that you have another policy or have them on a floater.

Comments

• mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't forget, your NRA membership comes with $1000 dollars of coverage[:D]
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrseatle
    Don't forget, your NRA membership comes with $1000 dollars of coverage[:D]

Yeah, that should help.
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a gun room in my house with three seperate safes all fire proof. I would like to have one wall where i could put them on so you could see them. But if i did they would not be there long im afraid. If i put a steel door in the room they could still get in through the sheetrock wall. Unless i put 1/4 in steel plate behind the sheet rock. If i did that then if they used a torch they would burn the house down. Unless they used saws.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dav1965
    I have a gun room in my house with three seperate safes all fire proof. I would like to have one wall where i could put them on so you could see them. But if i did they would not be there long im afraid. If i put a steel door in the room they could still get in through the sheetrock wall. Unless i put 1/4 in steel plate behind the sheet rock. If i did that then if they used a torch they would burn the house down. Unless they used saws.

When I get rich, I am going to have a vault in my house. I am thinking cinderblocks, steel plate, fire rated sheetrock. Think that would be sufficient?
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't forget the door.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7RiverMan7
    Don't forget the door.

Why? Just close it off completely to make it really secure, right?
  • MarnerMarner Member Posts: 2,977
    edited November -1
    A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to visit a collector of pre-64 model 70's. He has every calibre and every model of pre-64 70 that Winchester manufactured all in mint or near mint condition tastefully displayed in lighted glass faced cabinets througout the walls of his gun room. He also has some other very interesting / desirable stuff. His gun room is finished like a rec room - nicely furnished and with a wet bar. The room itself is one side of his cement basement walled off with a cement block wall and steel fire rated access door. The walls and ceiling of the room are lined with 2 layers of 5/8 in. drywall. I was very impressed and envious.

Ron
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by callcameron
    Does anybody here have a true vault? . . .

Yes
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,657 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While them banks were in trouble I was eye balling my bank's vault doors and the safety deposite drawers[:D]. They also have a cool Acrylic window where you can see the workings of the vault door. My bank has a teller's section encased in 2" or 3" acrylic (makes the tellers look like fish in a tank[:D]). If I ever won the lottery I may have to buy a bank for those things.
  • crash2usafcrash2usaf Member Posts: 4,094
    edited November -1
    lexan is good stuff just 1/16th thick is enough to make a firefighter cry... They layer that on drywall.. One ol boy on my dep almost caught his rebounding axe with his teeth. The funny thing is that it looks like regular plexi..
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They will get in IF they have enough time. I've known cases where they have come back THREE times and penetrated Ft. Knox type rooms. People always on vacation. You are only going to keep out the quick break in's, kids etc. They will get in if they have the time.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asop
    They will get in IF they have enough time. I've known cases where they have come back THREE times and penetrated Ft. Knox type rooms. People always on vacation. You are only going to keep out the quick break in's, kids etc. They will get in if they have the time.

I knew somebody that came home from vacation a day early and found their gun safe from the closet in the front room.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote: knew somebody that came home from vacation a day early and found their gun safe from the closet in the front room

I didn't come back early, but someone had tried to get my 1000# basement safe from the back room to the staircase. I have no idea what the were planning to do once they got to the stairs!
    anyway, they managed to move it about 20 ft before they gave up. it was in the middle of the room on its side when i got home!
    a couple guns got dinged up a little, but didn't matter as that safe was all my "shooters".
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Guns? What guns? Lost them all in a fishing accident in 1985.
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    if you had a vault, would you talk about it?
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm planning on building one soon for permit purposes it is being called hurricane room
  • mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri
    quote: knew somebody that came home from vacation a day early and found their gun safe from the closet in the front room

I didn't come back early, but someone had tried to get my 1000# basement safe from the back room to the staircase. I have no idea what the were planning to do once they got to the stairs!
    anyway, they managed to move it about 20 ft before they gave up. it was in the middle of the room on its side when i got home!
    a couple guns got dinged up a little, but didn't matter as that safe was all my "shooters".

I poured a 8" slab with two 1/2" bolts welded to chunks of steel into it and bolted the safe to the slab, they won't be moving my baby!
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by callcameron
    quote:Originally posted by dav1965

When I get rich, I am going to have a vault in my house. I am thinking cinderblocks, steel plate, fire rated sheetrock. Think that would be sufficient?

8" CMU(concrete modular unit) or 8.8.16 block, solid grouted has a 4 hour fire rating. I don't think you need steel plates or fire rated sheetrock.

I have demo'd many 8"grouted block walls and I can tell ya that the time involved in breaking in a CMU vault would be redicules, unles you were on a long vacation and they wanted in the vault really, really bad.
  • glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know it isn't PC, but I've never seen the sense of having a collection locked away out of sight that I can't see and enjoy. That's hoarding, not collecting. If you're worried about theft, about the worst thing you can do is announce to the world what you collect, how much it's worth, who you are, and where you live. Some egos are too big to do that however.
    edited November -1
    For a smaller collection (or maybe just some of your best examples) I would have this, third page with the bullet proof glass. The safe builder told me that he quoted it at $18,000 but ended up only charging $12,000 because it didn't cost him as much as he expected in materials. I was thinking to myself, if he was willing to pay $18,000, CHARGE $18,000. After all, you don't want to devalue your own product.
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marner

A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to visit a collector of pre-64 model 70's. He has every calibre and every model of pre-64 70 that Winchester manufactured all in mint or near mint condition tastefully displayed in lighted glass faced cabinets througout the walls of his gun room. He also has some other very interesting / desirable stuff. His gun room is finished like a rec room - nicely furnished and with a wet bar. The room itself is one side of his cement basement walled off with a cement block wall and steel fire rated access door. The walls and ceiling of the room are lined with 2 layers of 5/8 in. drywall. I was very impressed and envious.

Ron

...I'd swear that we know the same guy, but he lives in Illinois, and his armored room is not in the basement. This guy's collection would make Bert H. drool on his shoes. Not just 70's, but more levers and single shots than you can dream of.