In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anybody Keep Inventory Of Their Stuff

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in General Discussion
I just finished taking inventory of all my guns and put them on a computer program that i got from someone on GB.

Next i am doing my magazine and gun stuff. Then i will start on my old coins.

Then sports cards and last my tools and stuff in the house.

I think it will take about 1 year. I will also make a program of what it is and where it is at. LOL

I have 2 sets of jack stands and could not find any the other day my friend worked on my sons back brakes.

Plus i am cleaning stuff up and throwing stuff away. I got to get my stuff together because i can not find anything and it is a big pain in the butt.

It will take me longer to find what i need than to actually use it.

I just made an excel spreadsheet of all my ammo. Its bad to have so much stuff.

Comments

• Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good to have it all in one computer spot so it is easier for the govt to access at will
  • Options
    jetmekjetmek Member Posts: 250
    edited November -1
    HaHa yeah nothing like making it easy for them when they come to your house.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got one of those 15 gig or was it meg stick to back up my inventory. I need to up date that since I just picked up a G27 and 3 stripped AR lowers. Also I got on way as in parts so I can keep track of how much I spent gearing up.
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep on that more time to find than to use. When I have a job here I hunt down the tools a couple days before I start the job. I do have a hand written inventory of all my guns and scopes. I keep one copy here and another in my safety deposit box. My home owners insurance agent suggested I have an inventory of everything I have in my house, and that she could hold a copy of that for me. Gee, I know I look stupid but really.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Easier to take pictures of everything including serial numbers. Easier to identify the coins & other collectables. Keep it all on one small chip in a remote location.
  • Options
    wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep track of reloading components and reloaded ammo on the computer.

Firearm information filed in a clasp type envelope, one firearm per envelope.

Anything related to that firearm goes in the envelope, serial number, pictures, manuals, receipts.

Folders in fire rated file cabinet.

No firearm info on computer.
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always filled out a recipe card on every firearm I get. I put down the make, serial#, where I got it and what I gave for it. I also describe the condition and any thing that makes it unusual or collectible. I also have pictures of nearly everything.

Lately I have been hanging a tag on each with their model and serial# on it. When I get that completed I am going to assign a number to each and describe them in a loose leaf note book. I figure if something happens to me then my family can send the whole pile to Locust Fork and sit back and wait for the check.

I have many Winchesters that all look alike to a casual observer and I figure that would be about as prepared as I could leave my family.
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    good to have it all in one computer spot so it is easier for the govt to access at will

How does anyone access your computer if you're not hooked to the Internet? You make the list and download it to a flash drive and then delete the list from your computer before you ever access the internet again if you're that paranoid. The only way they can find the list is if they take the computer and go through the hard drive. Then even if they do that it doesn't mean you didn't sell your guns or lose them at an earlier date.

And if you have your guns insured you better have a list with serial numbers if they get stolen.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,034 ******
    edited November -1
    Yes,we have an inventory on a spread sheet,,
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    There use to be a dos or Thompson command called "undelete"
    where the computer would delete the file (seemingly)
    by changing the first letter to a symbol so that
    the pc wouldn't "see" the file but could be easily
    resurrected,as long as the file hasn't been over written.
    Programs can now see layers of files so over writing them
    is useless but unless your a criminal who would go
    to that much trouble for every Tom,Dick and Hairy?
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes. Also make sure you make several copies of these items and give a copy to someone you trust, just in case your house burns down or some other tragic event. My father has a copy of all my files of my firearms and gun parts. My lawyer also has a copy. Oakie
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everything is in a modified Excel program. Back up in one of the gun safes and another in the bank box.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..My stuff is on paper written with an old fashioned pen. Guns and accessories are in two safes but the paperwork is in a smaller fire rated file safe.
    ..Everything I've bought, sold or bought with my C&R lists all the details such as who it came from or went to, barrel length, serial, etc. I have pics of some but not all.

EDIT: My son got the fireproof safe for me for Christmas!...[^]