In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester model1890

ruger0_7ruger0_7 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I baught a Winchester model 1890 22 caliber pump action rifle with a hexigon barrel.The patent dates are June 26 88 Dec 6 92 Nov 27 06 Serial number is 371394.My question is are they still fairly common or was this a good find.The rifle is in really good condition.Also is there any way to tell exactly what year it was built and how many were produced.Any estimates to its value?

Chris Powell

Comments

• woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    1909 is likely the manufacturing date, making it a Third Model. You didn't say what caliber or if it has a factory checkered stock which makes a difference in value. They are still fairly common. Do a search on the auctions here for comparison purposes. Yours could be worth anything from $400 to a couple thousand depending on condition.
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There were around 750,000 1890s produced up till about 1935. After that time existing receivers were used up until the early 40s. There were three receiver styles, solid frame, model 2 receiver with an interior locking bolt and take down, and third model receivers like your's with exterior locking bolts. The last patent dates were 1911 and that was for a lug on the end of the magazine. Your's is correct with the two patents. According to Schwing's charts your receiver was made between April and May of 1908. Winchester started putting their proof marks on the 1890s in 1908, so yours should be proofed on top of the receiver and right next to it on the barrel. Winchester offered many special order options on their early rifles like woodshermit stated. Stock 1890s in good shape seem to be gaining in popularity and price lately. Special order items and condition can make them go up very high quickly. Worth? Someplace between $300.00 and just about anybody's guess. Nice find, they're a fine little rifle.

Oh yeah, It's an octagon barrel, not hexagon. 8 flat sides. [;)]

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    standard.jpg
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I'm a new owner of an 1890 take down model in 22 WRF. I'm amazed at what a good solid little rifle it is. It is a lot of fun to shoot. I paid $400 for mine because of the caliber and it is in unmolested condition. Everything down to the screws are the original or so old no one could tell. You are going to like it.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ruger0 7...howdy and welcome..I'll be the picky one and say that it's a an octagon, not hex...Sorry, I'm just * that way..[8]...Anyway, that sounds like a sweety..Have fun..[:D]

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.