In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Looking to relocate..WV ??

tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Hope to relocate and maybe buy a going business in West Virginia...Marlinton area is what we fell in love with..Our needs are simple, but I just gotta have at least 40 secluded acres...Any thoughts on realtors, CCW, or anything pro or con ??? We're not dead set on anywhere for sure, but gotta get out of IL. Had it with our dead-end politics.. Ideas ??

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comments

• bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    You could move to Ashville NC with everyone else.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been to Ashville..rode the train...Like it there too, but too many of "us" tourists..[:o)]

• s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    If you want seclusion,West Virginia has that in many areas.Property sells real cheap back in them thar hills.Good Hunting and Fishing.

Been in a couple areas on Hunting Trips and enjoyed it there.Have gotten to know a few of them West Virginia Boys (Rednecks).Mostly Good People.

1-Powder

2-Patch

3-Ball

4-Remove the Rod

5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I looked at some land near the PA border that was buildable, had a free natural gas well and was close enough to the college town to have plenty of work for a determined man. It was also infested with whitetails. If it had a creek I would still be there. That was the only problem for me concerning WV. So much of the ground water and wells were unfit to drink cause of the sulphuric acid leaching from the old mines.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • kitfookitfoo Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to live in Elkins and Beverly. Beverly is about as secluded as you can get. We lived 4 miles down a dirt road. Past our house it just turned into a logging road. Never saw a cop the whole time I lived there.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Ritchie county is nice and like kitfoo said Elkins and Beverly are good areas to.

Have you considered Ohio? What type of business do you plan to get into?

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kitfoo
    I used to live in Elkins and Beverly. Beverly is about as secluded as you can get. We lived 4 miles down a dirt road. Past our house it just turned into a logging road. Never saw a cop the whole time I lived there.

My family is from the Coal City area about 15 mi. from Beckley. Very secluded, you don't need cops, everyone takes care of business their own way.[:D]

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My oldest son lives near Marlington (Snowshoe), and loves it. He's a ski instructor at Snowshoe and works for the resort in the summer programs in the off-season. In a word, the area is an outdoorsman's year-round paradise, but with the exception of the resort, is an economically depressed area. Don't expect IL ammenities without a LONG drive--i.e.Roanoke, Charleston. He tells me that real estate (away from Snowshoe) is reasonable, but in short supply because most of the county is National Forest and what private land there is tends to be passed down through families.
    edited November -1
    Thanks all...I'm looking a couple years down the road here..As far as work/business goes, we're wide open. After 30+ yrs. in the grain business, this broken down carcass needs to take things a bit slower..I think we'll revisit WV and snoop around..Again, thanks...[^]

• DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that if you have apposable thumbs or more than six teeth you cannot apply for residency in West Virginia.
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    West Virginia is beautiful, I have a farm in Gilmer Co. but live in Parkersburg on the Ohio River. The area is pretty laid back and the people are nice for the most part. The gun laws are non restrictive and it is a shall issue state but the recipricity with other states is not very good. On the down side, they tax everything, food, water, personal property, ect, ect. The political environment is not as corrupt as some but voter fraud such as dead people voting, organised crime influence and wasting of tax payers money does occur. All in all its a decent place to live, street crime is relatively low although it has risen in the last several years, the climate is tolerable and the hunting/fishing is great. The job market is sporatic at best and non existant in some areas. If you are planning on starting a buisness it might be helpful to contact the chamber of commerce in the city closest to where you are intending to move. They could be helpful in finding the information you want.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We're over in the eastern panhandle. About 10 miles S. of Martinsburg.
    1) It ain't cheap here.
    2) WV is a "shall issue" state.
    3) We have a good U.S. Representative here. Shelley Moore-Capito.
    Definitely pro-gun.
    4) Our Senators SUCK. "Sheets" Byrd and the dimwitted Jay Rockefeller.
    5) If it weren't for Mrs. Mudge, I'd still be in Virginia

Mudge the transplanted Virginian

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Used to Hunt some in Mudge' Country.Nathaniel Mtn.,Romney.It was nice.

One times I was a little lost and ask a young fellow (bout 25 yrs. old)for directions.I knew the town I was a lookin fer was somewhere within 10 miles.

He said I never been there.The only place I ever been cept here was Moundsville.

Moundsville is the home of the State Penitentery.[:)]
    edited November -1
    Wellllllll, lemme see here, Arkansas looks good too..[:D]..Really, I do appreciate all the input...We really liked the folks we met in WV, SC, NC, VA, PA, ... Though it seems like I'm an a-hole magnet, we were treated so well by most folks, it made a real impression on us. Oh, I know they're everywhere, but the concentration must be lower in that area...My long term options are open...just gotta get out of IL...Somewhere a little warmer and a little more free..[?]