In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

chainsaw trouble

mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in General Discussion
I have a Stihl 180C, the "Mini-Boss" (yes, laugh all you want). It's the little homeowner saw.

It has given me nothing but trouble. It's been to the repair shop twice for carb and throttle issues. It has run a grand total of three hours. Today I fired it up, first time after second repair, and got to cutting down a couple limbs. For 5 or 6 minutes we were cooking right along, cutting away. Then the saw started to sort of slow down. It started to slow down some more, and even with me squeezing the trigger the chain finally just stopped moving. Then the engine sputtered a time or two more and died.

I waited ten minutes and tried to start it again. It started and immediately started slowing down and slowing down and then died.

I only use Stihl's moto-mix 50:1. I was cutting 6 inch to 1 inch limbs, nothing crazy.

Honestly, as each repair runs me about $100, I'm at the point, if I take this thing in again, where I will have spent more on repairs than on the original purchase price of the saw ($250). Right now it's working out to something like $200 an hour to run this saw.

I do only use the saw about once a year for maybe 30 minutes to an hour each time. I simply don't have more need of it than that.

Does anybody have any ideas on what could possibly be wrong with the saw?

Comments

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like the air filter could be plugged.
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How old is the unit? Did you let it sit with gas for any long period of time? How old was the gas from the pump?
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put fresh gas in it...
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,674 ******
    edited November -1
    I have a similar saw, the 170.
    Check that the muffler is not clogged.
    One of the many problems I've had.
    Also, check the filter inside the tank.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plugged up muffler is a common problem. Check it and clean it.
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Others have pointed you to possible problems: old gas, air filter, and muffler. $100.00 per dealer visit seems high for what you get. I've used Stihl saws and other items for 30+ years and currently have 5 of their products. Something just doesn't sound right. What does your dealer say except thank you when you put up your $100.00 ?
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Bad gas darn corn syrup will ruin Carb if left for over 45days in fuel tank. Buy some pre mixed gas in a quart can
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the chain brake off...see if you can move the chain by hand. If you cant, the bar sprocket may be the problem. I have a Husqvarna 435 that "clogs" the sporcket on the bar tip if not regularly greased...and gives simiular symptoms...may not be the problem...just a suggestion...good luck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I only use Stihl's moto-mix 50:1.

Stihl's moto-mix is pre-mixed ethanol free high-octane gas. When I am done with the saw I let it sit and run until it runs out of the stuff. The saw has NEVER had ethanol in it.

I checked the spark arrester screen. It's clear. I will check the muffler tomorrow. Any other ideas are very much appreciated.

Yes, $100 is a lot of money. What can I do? They're the only authorized Stihl repair shop in town.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    With the brake off the chain moves by hand. I will check the air filter tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK sounds like you are doing all the right things I work at a john Deere dealer and we also sell Stihl. but still most likely Carb trouble 90 % of time starving for proper amount of fuel . Has the saw always had pre mix I would turn the H "high speed" Needle 1/3 a turn CCW
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok sounds like you are doing all things right has the saw ever had NON pre mix . I still think carb trouble take the chain off and run saw.
    turn H "high speed" needle see toif it improves 1/4 turn CCW With saw running and chain off you can adjust screw with it running. I sell stihl at work, not work on them But have been working on small engines at home for over 60 years.
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a 170 that I bought new and it was a pain to start. Had it back to the shop several times and it was never fixed. Last time it happened the owner was there and I told him start this saw, after about twenty pulls he said something's wrong. Bad carb on a brand new saw, replaced and no problem since. So a bad carb is not out of the question.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tank vent problem. If it ran a short time and then slowly loss of power it could be a venting problem. Probably was like that from the factory.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JimmyJack

Be the first thing I would check. Remove the muffler and check to see if the exhaust port is gobbed off.

$200... You could have bought a new Echo CS310 for less than that and have a saw that is well worth the money for a small saw.
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like the other guy said, tank vent. It would be easy enough to check anyway.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i stopped all chainsaw problems by going electric...6' cord in the bucket and 110v outlets on the end of the boom... have 300' of heavy duty cord if i need it...they start every time with out yanking my brains out
  • Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    as soon as it gets to being nearly stopped immediatly swith off and open the fuel cap....if there is a lot of air sucking into the tank you might have a blockage there.
    it is worth trying anyway, and it won't cost you anything to try it.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I've seen this before.

Wood chips in fuel tank, after awhile they get sucked against the in-tank filter. Saw quits.

After a few minutes, with some swishing around, the chips are washed away from the filter, and it fires right up.
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    All Good Advice
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Air filter was very clean. I took it off and washed it anyway. I started the saw today and it ran well. There are no wood chips in the tank. The fuel filter is clean. The tank vent seems interesting. I also wonder if the carb is, as one fellow said, just bad from the beginning. I looked on Amazon and they sell a saw rebuild kit for about $30. If I keep having trouble I may try that, and if that doesn't work I may throw the (@#$*$*@) thing in the trash and buy a new one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for suggestions and ideas.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Screws up again.. shoot it with a HP rifle multiple times. Problem will be solved and you will feel better.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Some things are just not to be.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Went out and tried to start it again. It started, ran for about 5 or 6 seconds, and then slowly died over about 10 seconds. I'm going to write a letter to Stihl expressing my profound displeasure.

I may try one of those rebuild kits on Amazon. If that doesn't work, it looks like I need a new saw.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Get rid of it and buy a POLAN...Seriously..
  • Options
    NogoingbackNogoingback Member Posts: 15
    edited November -1
    The coil could be a possibility too. Once they get warmed up from use, that's when they will lose spark completely or intermittently. Run the saw until it dies again and check for spark. Some of the coils used on Stihl equipment have a rev limiter built in and when that craps out, they will run but not at the proper rpm and sound like it's missing under load.

The Zama carb that's used on your saw and the smaller trimmers and handheld blowers have been very problematic in the past. A carb cleaning and diaphragm kit usually results in no improvement. It's easier for the dealers to just replace the carb right away. The last couple of carbs I bought for a handheld blower from the Stihl dealer were around $13 their cost.

Lots of those carbs and the coils available on the other big auction site. Just match the numbers on the carb to be sure, C1Q something something. Zama is made in China and Stihl owns the company so no choice on where the carb comes from.

There also might be two styles of coils used on your saw but I may be thinking of a different model. They are not interchangeable.
  • Options
    NogoingbackNogoingback Member Posts: 15
    edited November -1
    For a while, Stihl had a lifetime warranty to the original owner on the coils. Worth checking out if it is the problem.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sell it for parts on that auction site. I bought one of these saws(either 170 or 180) for Son to use for limbing and yard chores. It ran well but was always hard to start. Figured out the cause of that by checking through the muffler hole and finding the cylinder was scored. Got it running as well as possible and sold it for what I paid.

Lots of folks have problems with chainsaws. I know stuff happens but sometimes it happens for a reason.
    I buy specific models of saws that I'm familiar with for parts or repair.
    No reference to the current post but over the last 4 years, I've bought "non-running" or "runs but won't cut" saws with the following problems:
    1:chain on backwards(love that one)
    2:no plug boot on coil wire
    3:broken switch(took 15 minutes and a $2 parts saw part to turn a $165 junk saw into a $400 looks like new runner)
    4:run with chain brake locked until it melted the chain cover
    5:Intermittent spark--I'm guessing this one has the kill wire pinched between the starter housing and the flywheel.
    At this point, I've used mostly salvage parts from a single saw to resurrect 4 other saws. I'm selling 2-3 of them to pay for the other 2 and I'll have $750 worth of excellent utility saws free.
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    If You Don't get it Fixed Send it to Me[:I]
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy an Echo.
    Mine is 20 years old and never let me down.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buschmaster
    quote:Originally posted by mlincoln
    What can I do? They're the only authorized Stihl repair shop in town.sell it and buy a Husqvarna

Warn you one time and one time only... Stay away from the 240 chainsaw..

The fuel system on the 240's cannot deliver enough fuel to run the saw. The small fuel lines have a clear plastic liner in them that is about the size of a stick pin that carries fuel. You can not adjust the carb needles rich enough supply the engine enough fuel to run properly. If you are lucky enough to get one to run for ten minutes or so. They run so hot that the fuel actually boils in the tank. Not air bubbles, A rolling boil from hot fuel..

Replace the fuel lines with new ones without the liner. The engine will run wide open without even touching the throttle or become so flooded in less than 10 seconds that it can not run. It will do one or the other no matter how the Hi-Lo fuel/air mixture screws are set.

I have worked on 8 or 9 of the things this Summer and every one of them does the same thing. All of them had less than a gallon of fuel ran through them before they started messing up. It is not a box store thing either. The ones I have worked on came from both places like Lowes and from Husqvarna dealers.

Husqvarna small engines (Saws and Trimmers) have gone to the sewer in the last three or four years. So much so that I have gone to Echo and Tanaka.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    quote:Originally posted by buschmaster
    quote:Originally posted by mlincoln
    What can I do? They're the only authorized Stihl repair shop in town.sell it and buy a Husqvarna

Warn you one time and one time only... Stay away from the 240 chainsaw..

The fuel system on the 240's cannot deliver enough fuel to run the saw. The small fuel lines have a clear plastic liner in them that is about the size of a stick pin that carries fuel. You can not adjust the carb needles rich enough supply the engine enough fuel to run properly. If you are lucky enough to get one to run for ten minutes or so. They run so hot that the fuel actually boils in the tank. Not air bubbles, A rolling boil from hot fuel..

Replace the fuel lines with new ones without the liner. The engine will run wide open without even touching the throttle or become so flooded in less than 10 seconds that it can not run. It will do one or the other no matter how the Hi-Lo fuel/air mixture screws are set.

I have worked on 8 or 9 of the things this Summer and every one of them does the same thing. All of them had less than a gallon of fuel ran through them before they started messing up. It is not a box store thing either. The ones I have worked on came from both places like Lowes and from Husqvarna dealers.

Husqvarna small engines (Saws and Trimmers) have gone to the sewer in the last three or four years. So much so that I have gone to Echo and Tanaka.

I bought a Husqvarna weed eater and no matter what I did it had very little power. THe mufflers are sealed, but I drilled the holes out as bigh as I could under the screen and turned the high side up bout a 1/4 of a turn and it is a weed eating machine now.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Buy an Echo.
    Mine is 20 years old and never let me down."

That's my current refurb line-20 year old Echo mid-size CS 4600 & CS 5000.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    quote:Originally posted by JimmyJack

Be the first thing I would check. Remove the muffler and check to see if the exhaust port is gobbed off.

$200... You could have bought a new Echo CS310 for less than that and have a saw that is well worth the money for a small saw.

..What he said...[^]