In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

headshots unethical

remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
Somebody posted on here that they do nothing but headshots because they don't want to tear up the meat. I'm not going to mention any names or draw attention to the thread that it was said because I don't want to embarrass anybody

The reason why I think head shots are unethical is because just as your trigger breaks the animal that you are shooting can move his head. And if you're shooting point blank is not that big of a deal, because the bullet doesn't take time to travel to get to your target

But if you're shooting hundred 2-3-4 yards and even Beyond it takes some time for that bullet to reach its Target, and if that animal moves his head it could actually just blow off the animals more or upper jaw, were by it will just run away and die of starvation if somebody else doesn't see it and shoot it first

So please, to all those that will do nothing but headshots when they hunt, please stop that practice and become an ethical Hunter

Comments

• Options
    PacManPacMan Member Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could be wrong but I think the bullet is move faster than the speed of sound.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PacMan

Much faster

Speed of sound in air is 1125 FPS

Most 30-06 165gr bullets are faster than 2600 FPS.

As far as head shot on game being unethical I am not so sure. I say it depends

1. On the animal

2. The skill of the shooter

I have headshot a bunch of deer but most were within 100 yds. Shooting at varmints I have tried headshots out to 500 yds.
    RLTW

• Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

You are right there, but like I said in my post that the deer could move his head as the trigger is breaking. So therefore as the firing pin strikes, the deer has already moved and even if you are dead on on your shot your target has moved enough to where it's unethical

I've known several people that have shot a deer that had either it's lower or upper jaw shot off by somebody else. I'm sure the other person that blew off the jaw probably was good enough shot that it had the deer not moved his head just prior to the trigger breaking

Coupled with the fact that a minute of angle gun shoots 1 inch diameter from where you're aiming at a hundred yards, at 200 yards it's a couple of inches 300 yards it's even more at 400 yards you're four inches off. And a couple inches on a small Target could mean disaster
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing like making a precision shot. I usually try to aim just below the eye..about .758250 DRT... [:D]
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've found ethics to be tied to necessity, importunity, perceptions (both real and unreal), and various other factors.

Of course same would say it's unethical to shoot them at all.

Should I use the same criteria when hunting squirrels, rabbits, birds, coyotes?

Ethics are your own, but then, so are opinions.
  • Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    Ive never shot a deer in the head. or even tried for that matter. I take only head shots when hunting squirrels.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The deer could move at any time during a shot, that's hunting. Especially with steps forward as they are feeding, rutting, etc.

A headshot step forward will probably result in a miss.

A shoulder shot will probably lead to a gut shot. Those are nasty, and rarely lead to a DRT recovery... if there is one at all.

If the headshot shot is there, I don't see an issue with taking it.
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In a past life, ever so many years ago, the game warden told me to shoot as many deer as I needed to keep them out of my corn fields, so over a several year period time I shot a whole bunch of deer.

I should probably add that the unemployment rate in that township back than was almost 50% and every deer got eaten.

I wont go into details but I tried 2 head shots. The first was great. The second made me swear to myself that never again would I do a head shot.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everybody is entitled to their opinion, in this case in my opinion I tend to agree with Remington Oaks.
  • Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    i took a spine shot on the deer i got last year. went straight down like somebody pulled the rug out from under him. but when i got to him. he wasn't dead at all. just paralyzed. i didn't like that at all. other than that shot, ive always aimed for the heart lungs area. 150 grain core lokt and its over pretty fast. i wont do the spine again.
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I ma the odd ball..If possible I was always take a neck shot,,right behind the skull,,you hit they drop like a rock, odds are if you miss,,you miss clean
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Nothing like making a precision shot. I usually try to aim just below the eye..about .758250 DRT... [:D]

You have the advantage of sighting in 6" above the corn pile, so it is ethical in your case.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks

You are right there, but like I said in my post that the deer could move his head as the trigger is breaking. So therefore as the firing pin strikes, the deer has already moved and even if you are dead on on your shot your target has moved enough to where it's unethical

I've known several people that have shot a deer that had either it's lower or upper jaw shot off by somebody else. I'm sure the other person that blew off the jaw probably was good enough shot that it had the deer not moved his head just prior to the trigger breaking

Coupled with the fact that a minute of angle gun shoots 1 inch diameter from where you're aiming at a hundred yards, at 200 yards it's a couple of inches 300 yards it's even more at 400 yards you're four inches off. And a couple inches on a small Target could mean disaster

You could also say shooting a deer in the * is unethical..because you could give him the "piles".....are gut shot are etc...etc.. etc...any deer hunter has messed up shots period, and if you say you haven't ......your competing with Jesus...
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watched a buddy try a head shot one time on a nice little buck. Shot a little low and blew the jaw off. Buck ran off and didn't leave a blood trail. must have been a pretty crappy way to die...Upper half of the front shoulder works for me. DRT 90% or more of the time, and not much wasted meat.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree strongly with remingtonoaks. The allowable miss area on a head shot is very tiny. That's also true for a neck shot, btw. A small miss in either area can result in a deer that dies weeks later, in agony. The heart/lung area is about a foot across from any angle and even a peripheral hit is fatal very quickly.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like a shoulder shot.
  • Options
    mlincolnmlincoln Member Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just walk up to the deer like I'm Tony Soprano, and I say, "Hey, how you doin?" And then I shoot them right in the head.

Never had a problem.
  • Options
    rmillrmill Member Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here, I'll post it for you. You also missed half of my point, but I've always thought of you as a halfwit. [8]

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=700194
    [/quote]

HAHAHAHAHA! That was awesome!
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have taken deer with head and neck shots when they were close

always thought I would want to die quick if it is my time to die
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GreatGuns
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks

Somebody posted on here that they do nothing but headshots because they don't want to tear up the meat. I'm not going to mention any names or draw attention to the thread that it was said because I don't want to embarrass anybody

The reason why I think head shots are unethical is because just as your trigger breaks the animal that you are shooting can move his head. And if you're shooting point blank is not that big of a deal, because the bullet doesn't take time to travel to get to your target

But if you're shooting hundred 2-3-4 yards and even Beyond it takes some time for that bullet to reach its Target, and if that animal moves his head it could actually just blow off the animals more or upper jaw, were by it will just run away and die of starvation if somebody else doesn't see it and shoot it first

So please, to all those that will do nothing but headshots when they hunt, please stop that practice and become an ethical Hunter

Here, I'll post it for you. You also missed half of my point, but I've always thought of you as a halfwit. [8]

And now for a response in the form of a profanity-laced tirade, calling you everything and nothing simultaneously.[;)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm only here for the free popcorn.....
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    to each his own .If you are confident in your shooting ability then go for it . For myself I will continue with the heart lung shots just my choice ,make yours as your conscience and shooting ability dictates
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rmill

HAHAHAHAHA! That was awesome!
    [/quote]Man,your sure hard on ole Remington....257 Weatherby is a deer killer period...I shot one in the flap of the ear, and it died instantly..speed kills...
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire

You have the advantage of sighting in 6" above the corn pile, so it is ethical in your case.

Data from Hornady is out of 24" barrel. From my 25/06 26" long range Remington you can add 150 more FPS out of the muzzle. You are exactly 6" or the second line down on the drop compensating scope. Not much of a shot at 300.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/rifle/25-06-rem-117-gr-sst-superformance#!/
  • Options
    BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I'm not a precision shooter like some folks are above this post. I wish I was. But I seem to do ok, I did have to shoot a coyote twice with a .17 though.

I take the shots in the vitals, whether that is with a bow, a crossbow, a muzzle loader or a rifle big or small. I do head shots on raccoons in the live trap, but that's not sporting, just eliminating problems for sheep, turkeys, my barn and the like.

Maybe if I was as good at head shots as others above I'd shoot trap with a .22 instread of a 12 gauge too, save a lot of money at that I bet!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BikerBob
    I guess I'm not a precision shooter like some folks are above this post. I wish I was. But I seem to do ok, I did have to shoot a coyote twice with a .17 though.

I take the shots in the vitals, whether that is with a bow, a crossbow, a muzzle loader or a rifle big or small. I do head shots on raccoons in the live trap, but that's not sporting, just eliminating problems for sheep, turkeys, my barn and the like.

Maybe if I was as good at head shots as others above I'd shoot trap with a .22 instread of a 12 gauge too, save a lot of money at that I bet!
    ....don't shoot trap,but I do shoot "Skeet" with a 22 short...
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We all know it is unethical to hunt, but if you are going to hunt it is extremely unethical to hunt with lead based ammunition. Only non-lead non-toxic ammunition should be used as it is unethical to possibly expose any living creator to lead. It is also unethical to hunt mountain lion, but it is especially unethical to hunt them using dogs, the same goes for bears. Of course all leg hold traps and snares of any form are unethical. We know this, among other unethical things, because we were, and are, told this by genuine California liberals, who are the gate keepers of all things ethical.

When hunting big game I have found it generally most effective to target the heart and lungs of the animal be it with bow or gun. I also know there are scenarios and circumstances when other options are appropriate and do not consider it unethical to use them.

Some of you remind me of the liberal with their nose in the air, disgusted that anyone could possible not agree with them. Much like the ones trying to remove the confederate memorials and rewrite history. Your ethics should be everyone's ethics, because, well, you said so.

If, in your discretion, and perhaps abilities, you think it wise to only shoot boiler room shots and choose to not use other options, I support you. You should do it your way, within your comfort zone. It is what I teach new hunters, as, like I've written, "When hunting big game I have found it generally most effective to target the heart and lungs of the animal be it with bow or gun." However that is not the only way, nor is it always the best.

Tearing down other hunters is not going to further the activity, it will, however, help to destroy it.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just try talking about any form of hunting in a room full of DEMOCRATs and you will get an ear full about being unethical.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5
    We all know it is unethical to hunt, but if you are going to hunt it is extremely unethical to hunt with lead based ammunition. Only non-lead non-toxic ammunition should be used as it is unethical to possibly expose any living creator to lead. It is also unethical to hunt mountain lion, but it is especially unethical to hunt them using dogs, the same goes for bears. Of course all leg hold traps and snares of any form are unethical. We know this, among other unethical things, because we were, and are, told this by genuine California liberals, who are the gate keepers of all things ethical.

When hunting big game I have found it generally most effective to target the heart and lungs of the animal be it with bow or gun. I also know there are scenarios and circumstances when other options are appropriate and do not consider it unethical to use them.

Some of you remind me of the liberal with their nose in the air, disgusted that anyone could possible not agree with them. Much like the ones trying to remove the confederate memorials and rewrite history. Your ethics should be everyone's ethics, because, well, you said so.

If, in your discretion, and perhaps abilities, you think it wise to only shoot boiler room shots and choose to not use other options, I support you. You should do it your way, within your comfort zone. It is what I teach new hunters, as, like I've written, "When hunting big game I have found it generally most effective to target the heart and lungs of the animal be it with bow or gun." However that is not the only way, nor is it always the best.

Tearing down other hunters is not going to further the activity, it will, however, help to destroy it.

Wonder how some would react if they witnessed a Kosher or Hala killing?

And I guarentee you this I have seen far more legshot and guy shot deer running around or dead and never found by the hunter than I ever saw missing a jaw.

If we are going to dictate others shooting I saw we ban off hand shooting, you can only shoot with an approved rest. No more running shots either, poor deer getting gut shot, * shot and legs blown off.

Maybe we should just ban hunting all together because people can't be trusted to make a clean lethal shot every single time.

Working dairy farms as a young teen and into my 20s part time I've killed more crop damage deer with a .22 mag to the head off of a spotlight than most of you will ever kill with a rifle and every single one of them dropped in thier tracks. Can you guarentee that with a heart shot? Nope!

Hey, what about archery hunting?!? Do you understand how an arrow kills? The deer dies by blood loss or choking on blood in its lungs. A bullet uses shock to destroy organs, an arrow while destroying organs relies on blood loss and a deer may live for several minutes choking on its own blood with even the best shot to both lungs. Maybe that should be stopped as well.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck
    quote:Originally posted by SCOUT5

Wonder how some would react if they witnessed a Kosher or Hala killing?

And I guarentee you this I have seen far more legshot and guy shot deer running around or dead and never found by the hunter than I ever saw missing a jaw.

If we are going to dictate others shooting I saw we ban off hand shooting, you can only shoot with an approved rest. No more running shots either, poor deer getting gut shot, * shot and legs blown off.

Maybe we should just ban hunting all together because people can't be trusted to make a clean lethal shot every single time.

Working dairy farms as a young teen and into my 20s part time I've killed more crop damage deer with a .22 mag to the head off of a spotlight than most of you will ever kill with a rifle and every single one of them dropped in thier tracks. Can you guarentee that with a heart shot? Nope!

Hey, what about archery hunting?!? Do you understand how an arrow kills? The deer dies by blood loss or choking on blood in its lungs. A bullet uses shock to destroy organs, an arrow while destroying organs relies on blood loss and a deer may live for several minutes choking on its own blood with even the best shot to both lungs. Maybe that should be stopped as well.

Right on Lonnie!
    It's totally ethical to smack 'em with a Vista Cruiser, mow 'em down with a Harley, run 'em over with a Semi, or shoot 'em inna head; the garbage that comes from Progressively thinking like a Libloonlefty would have hunters dropping leaflets before the hunt, and building safe spaces for Bambi.
    Just because this particular food source is ambulatory doesn't mean it has to be treated more or less special; that's the kind of reasoning that brought us shotgun-only deer hunting.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All I said was that the head and neck is a smaller target than the heart/lungs. Not disputable.

Also, the head is constantly moving; if startled, the first thing to jerk away is the head.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have head shot several deer,but I cant remember one that dropped and did not move.The deer I shot dropped and would thrash around,sometimes for several minutes before it stopped moving.I prefer a shot where the neck and shoulder meet and that is usually lights out.
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To each their own.

I shoot a lot of deer a year, usually 7-8. Mostly does.

I use all the meat, for the most part.

I don't like deer ribs, but will bone them out and grind.

I always aim for lungs, because if I ruin a skosh of rib meat, no biggie.

There is a whole bunch of really good meat on the neck of a deer, that I grind up for homemade sausage, and regular ground meat.

Neck shots do to much damage for my tastes.

But I'm not butchering or eating your deer, you are.

It just has no effect on my life, but I will support whatever other hunters are comfortable with doing for themselves.

Bickering and fighting does no good, and only adds fuel for the antis.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..Do whatever you're comfortable doing. That said, I helped
    a stranger in a hopeless search for a deer he hit. Where he
    said it was standing, there was blood spatter, a piece of
    jawbone and a few teeth. Pretty grim scene.