In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SNOBS

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited December 2003 in General Discussion
Went to the local Skeet, Trap, range this morning, had never been there before, Bunch of fuddy duddies standing around showing off their Krieghoffs, watched em shoot a couple rounds, as they missed more than they hit , they didnt even bother to ask if any of us wanted to shoot. Seemed to be the Good Ole Boy thing all over again.
Plus they wanted 6 bucks for non members to shoot a round, being 5 stations and 2 shots each station.

undrgd.gifnewyear.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"

Comments

• Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Same around here. Burns them up when you show up with a Ted Williams made by winchester (101) and stomp a mud hole in 'em![:D]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    We have a few of those types on here! Doesn't stop me from hanging around!! [:0]

paboogerani3.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIRS - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • Options
    oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just one more thing to make me appreciate my life in the woods, and feel thankful for what I have available to me.
    Sorry to hear it Classic. You deserve better.

There are no bad guns, only bad people.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...Oh come on now Classic, tell us the whole story....you really showed up with a H&R single shot break action 12 gauge with a scope, offered to pay the member rate (even though you aren't a member), hit 20% of the targets, offered $200 for some guys Krieghoff...and they laughed at you...heehee [:D] ....that's hardly fair to call them snobs.

...just haveing fun with you.....seriously though, the most arrogant shooters I've ever been around were Trap and Benchrest shooters...not all, but those disciplines seem to have more than their share.

= nra2.gif
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Tools and his appliance shoots, sound like a hell of a lot more fun, then going to those ranges!!!

paboogerani3.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIRS - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • Options
    TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    You can always come and shoot clays with me[^] I promis I wont be a snob. Even when I out shoot you[;)][:D]
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Let the jerks keep their little skeet range..
    Most likely New Yorkers anyway..
    Walte
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is that with my gun Tools? Your a SNOBS now... SNOBS ( someone never outshoots browning shotguns )
  • Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i was at areas trap shoot one time for a ham shoot and shot for money...the look on couple guys who had thousand dollar+ trap guns when i out shot them so bad it wasnt even funny with an ole model 1200 winchester beat to crap from to many jackrabbit and coyote hunts was priceless.[:D][:D]
    i took homequite abit of their money!hehe chucklechuckle.
    doc
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My range is really laid back, most of my problem is never at the trap range, but the combat range. A few particular LEO's like to show up and blast away with thier AR's between 25 and 7 yards, then leave all thier brass all over the place. My feeling is, I don't care if you have a machine gun, I don't care if you are the president of the NRA, pick up after yourself! I probably would have invited myself to shoot against the good ole' boy club, just to ruffle the few feathers of a few rich guys with Krieghoffs! Sorry you had a bad expierence, I know I wouldn't bother going back if I recieved that type of treatment.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • Options
    orca44magorca44mag Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    THe place I shoot is run by an 81 year old guy who charges $3. for25 trap, and .16 per target for sporting clays. You can buy 12 ga reloads for 3.50 or 20 ga for 3.00. No members. You'll see a Savage 94a parked next to to a Perazzi. If you show up late, just stand at the end of the line and somehow he keeps track. He shot a few stands with us Saturday.
    Hope I got that much juice if I hit 81.
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a pretty laid back trap/ skeet range here in Austin. I worked there for a little while officiating the trap tournaments. Although there is the usual group of regulars with some pretty pricey guns, they are quick to invite others to shoot with them when there is an open station.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,981 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot on a public range. A lot of superposed, including mine, but some pumps and autos as well. Not very snobby, but it does cost $5.50 a round. Come shoot with us Classic, you can beat me all you want, probably will too!

My heros have always killed cowboys.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Bottom line. The world is full of good people and jerks.
  • Options
    greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    Some friends and I shoot sporting clays every sunday. Sometimes we'll get placed with some "dudes". When that happens we miss some of the easiest shots on purpose and complain about how difficult the shot was. We'll then hit some of the harder ones and ask the puller if all are that easy. Invariably, these guys will never want to shoot with us again. Generally, we like to keep our group, our group alone.

the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Snobs with their Krieghoffs. Sort of like those Harley snobs. Every drive to Sturgis on a Ninja?

I wouldn't hand a total stranger a loaded firearm to begin with. Stand around and admire all day long. I'm still not handing you my gun unless you sign a legal waiver in the RARE instance of a KaBOOM. Armed neighbors are polite neighbors so I'm REALLY not going to hand you my gun if it's the only one I have with me at the range. I don't know you.
  • Options
    vclubbvclubb Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's commbine Tools appliance shoot and a skeet shoot. We can launch a washer into the air and we can all unload on it. Course it would be intersting to lauch one in the air but who knows.

-Victor

"The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity."
    Richard M. Nixon
  • Options
    TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    I have been wanting to build a trebuchete for some time now. With that in mind. Just cant get any help. Those timbers are too big to handel by myself.
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In trap there is a few "snobs" but most are just very serious about their shooting. You don't wait for someone to ask you to shoot you just walk up and sign up and when your turn comes walk up to the line and do your thing. Why would any one put down someone because they can afford a expensive gun? Most have worked their butts off all their life for the pleasure of owning a high end shot gun. I am 62 years old and all my life I keep hearing someone brag about how they cleaned the clocks of a bunch of trap shooters with grandads old smoke pole. Well I have shot at a lot of different ranges and met a lot of trap shooters but there is only one that I have seen who could take most hunting guns and beat a real dyed in the wool trap shooter. He lives about 20 minutes from me and as a rule can shoot most shot guns well. If you can go to a zone or state shoot or what the heck go to the grand and then come back and tell me you can beat those old boys. Of course I will ask you to proove it. [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Again people putting words into my post that aint there. No where did I put down a person owning an expensive gun, Just mentioned what they were showing off, my point was even with the expensive gun they couldnt hit a clay any better than the guy with the Mossberg. And as far as them asking me, I would have at least thought the Range officer would have ask me if I came to shoot or just look on, and no where did I say I could outshoot anyone, but I bet I could hold my own with most, that enjoy it as a recreation, instead of a lifes goal.

undrgd.gifnewyear.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I didn't have you in mind Classic. Some of the other posts. I know, I know I'm not supposed to be talking to you and thats ok just don't like to hear people bragging about something they can't do. Now if anyone wants to jump me start another thread about the subject.
  • Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would any one put down someone because they can afford a expensive gun? Most have worked their butts off all their life for the pleasure of owning a high end shot gun.

Rosie
    i sappose you was aiming at me, i wasnt putting down the guys because of the guns they had... quite nice shotguns at that...i dont own very many guns but the ones i own are not cheap......it was the attitude these fellows had, you know, nose in the air like how could this guy shoot better than me with that piece,wouldnt even say nice shooting or ect.....oh well like i said i took home quite abit of their money.
  • Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    * em' Classy!!

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Classic,...a man is defined by his actions,..not his guns, cars or bank account.

If you were certain of your gun and yourself,..you should have spoke up and said "mind if I jump in"?

My brother inlaw was the national junior champion at 12yrs old (now 40). He shoots his worn out,..beat to death,...rusted benelli (that his father bought him 10 yrs ago) with NO FRONT SIGHT. It fell off years ago,..and he is still the best shot on the east coast. he will take any challenge,..any time.

Next time you are at that range,...step up,..and show them boys their bank account can't buy skill.[}:)][}:)][B)]

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here at this range, you wait until you are asked. It is part of the "rules" of the range and posted on the board at the waiting area...
    You purchase the tickets at the clubhouse for how many rounds you want...then go to the skeet area where you wait for the range master to "ask" you in to shoot....
    Strange yes but it is the only skeet and trap shoot around here...

mancae0.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aw, heck. I show up them fancy trap dudes all the time. Do it with my Thompson Contender and a .410 barrel. Broke 100 out of 100 last weekend and won the trophy. Just left 'em standing there cry'en with their Kreigoffs.

Rafter-S [;)]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BR,..OK so classic plays nice for a few trips and then gets invited to step in[:D]

I can't stand them high falutin (sp) types who think they can shoot because of their guns. I'd make it a point to outshoot them just out of spite. My point about my brother in law is that you can't judge the man at the firing line,..until you shoot agianst him. I am willing to bet classic can hold his own,....he just needs to get that invite,....and then it's on!!!!! You outshoot the rich boys one time,..and you will forever be invited into the firing order,..out of respect!!!!!!!!

just my thought guys,...don;t mean to offend,.but the mention of gun range snobs makes me HOT!!!!!!!!! Share and share alike,..ya know? You pay your money and you take your turn!

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    jodyjody Member Posts: 94
    edited November -1
    Classic, just south of yall is a shotgun range called Pine Creek
    Sporting Clays, next time go there to shoot. you will find that sporting clays is more fun than trap or skeet. golf cart rentals
    or you can walk the course, JUST tell the staff that you are new at this type of sport and they will gladly get you started

Jody
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Justc
    What is your brother in laws name and I can pull up his scores from the record book. The records are in it for the past hundred years. Does he still shoot the grand? If he does I may run in to him next August. As I said before there are a few snobs in trap shooting but most will be your best friend off the line but ask and give no quarter on it. Keep in mind I'm talking about TRAP shooting because I don't know about skeet or sporting clays.

<P>
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where/when is the Grand held, and is it at the same place every year?

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, owning a $15,000 shotgun WILL make you a better shot! NOT! I used to run into these types while shooting trap back in PA. I used my Remington 870 Wingmaster and consistently outshot some of the guys with the 15 thousand dollar Kreighoffs! They were seriously annoyed that I would even attempt to shoot trap with a lowly Wingmaster!

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    That is the way it is at my range. The frisbee shooters act like god's answer to the shotgun world.

I get a laugh when a guy shows up with his big dollar skeet gun that costs more than his AMC Pacer[:D]

One thing that amazes me is the fact that some of these guys underload their shells so badly that you can see the shot come out and fall to the ground 20 or 30 feet in front of them.[?]

cart205.gif

troop_blink3.gif
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah they don't want to spend too much on their shotshell reloading, so they put just enough powder in them to get the shot to dribble out the end of the barrel! We always had to stop the line so that they could get a wooden stick and poke the wad out of the barrel!

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    We get some snobs over here sometimes. We have a 300yd range for rifles and this guy got out a very tricked out M-1A with the coffee-can sized scope on top and all the doodads just to have everyone ogle him as he shot the gong at 300yds. After a couple minutes I got the old Romanian SKS (with iron sights) and shot the gong a few times just to bust his bubble, what's the point of shooting an 18" gong with a M-1A?[B)] Now down at the 1000yd range, I'd have left him alone[:D]

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Options
    soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    The guys with the expensive guns usually don`t shoot any better than the guy with an old mossberg,but hey, they miss with style.
  • Options
    PhillybillyPhillybilly Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    six bucks for ten shots seems like a rip off.

1919vicleft1_thumb.jpg
    Say hello to my little friend