In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Spotting scope

kenneth and melissakenneth and melissa Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I would like to get a spotting scope used or new for under 100. I would be using it for 100 yards and 50 yards wondering if you could recommend one in my price range and why [:D]

Thomas Jefferson, of Virginia:
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Comments

• kenneth and melissakenneth and melissa Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any take on a good bench scope for the range? No, I don't want to spend a bunch on something that will sit in the case.Looking for at least 80mm exit...Any help?200-400 yds use..
    edited November -1
    Looking for an affordable and reliable spotting scope to take shooting. The farthest I will need it for is about 300 yards. Any suggestions?
    edited November -1
    I just purchased my Savage model 10 .308, and I'm starting my quest for an inexpensive starter spotting scope. I'll probably just be shooting at 100yrds until I build up some competency, and later move farther out.

What type of magnification will I need at 100yrds vs out to 300yrds?
    Is a 12-36x65 enough for 300yrds? I understand I'll have to drop some real money on one if I ever move out to 500 or 600yrds, but hoping I can get off cheap on a starter scope.
    edited November -1
    I picked one up at the gun show, its a chinese made 33-100x100 spotting scope. but its got a lifetime warrenty, and the folks say they sell alot. I took it out and was very impressed with it.
    its works well and I did not have to spend 400 bucks
    edited November -1
    I'm looking either at a Nikon #7455 "Sky and Earth" or Leupold's "Sequoia" both 20-60X80. Any comments would be appreciated.
    edited November -1
    Looking for an angled spotting scope (bench)80mm,any suggestions? I've had Zeiss etc,but looking for something reasonable...
    edited November -1
    How would you rate a BAUSCH & LOMB DISCOVERER 15 X 60 x 60 ZOOM SPOTTING SCOPE? I've already asked on the experts fourm.
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    Check out BSA spotting scopes, I think they can be had fairly reasonable. My buddy had a BSA Platinum rifle scope and said the quality was'nt bad for the price and the optics were clear.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Burris has a new compact one out that is 20X50mm that you can usually get for under $100.00. They aren't top of the line but are clear. I got one recently when I purchased a new 3x9x40 Burris Fullfield scope for my son in law for a gift. --If you need scope they still have this deal going at several places.Buy the scope get the spotter for free. Scopes are giong under $200.00.--- WWW.Natchezss.com / or SWFA.......Good Luck.........[8D]
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    At the ranges you are talking about just about any 20 power scope with a 50mm objective diameter will be far more than adequate. Put up a target paster on a telephone pole or side of a building with a little .30 cal circle colored in black on the paster about 100 yards from the shop from which you want to buy the scope. Ask the owner of the shop to bring a couple scopes out front and scope in on the paster. You should get a real good idea on what scope gives you a little more clarity than the others. I believe just about any Bushnell or Tasco under $100 would be adequate for the task. Now when you want to see .223 holes at 200 or 300 yards you need to go to an entirely different scope in a different price range. Beach
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    like a nice howa......right beachmaster?

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    keep an eye on Midway seems like every couple months they will have at least one on sale for under a $100

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Check cdnninvestments.com , they have an online catalog, and usually have very good prices,, seen a couple on there for under 100.00

animatflip.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use my Jason telescope. It will go from 20X all the way to 454X. To cheap to buy a real spotting scope!

10-X.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas